Balta, Odessa Oblast
|City of regional significance|
The city view
|• Mayor||Serhiy Mazur|
|• Total||22.97 km2 (8.87 sq mi)|
|Elevation||23 m (75 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
|Area code||+380 4866|
Balta (Ukrainian: Балта; Romanian: Balta) is a city in Odessa Oblast in south-western Ukraine. It is the administrative center of the Balta Raion (district), as well as a city of regional significance. Population: 18,993 (2015 est.) The city's population was 19,772 as of the 2001 Ukrainian Census.
Balta was first founded in 1797 out of a combination of three nearby towns; Yuzefhrad (Юзефград, Polish: Józefgród; until 1793 part of Poland), Yelensk (Еленськ), and Balta (Балта; until 1792 part of the Ottoman Empire). It is located in the historic Podolia region of Ukraine. According to the Russian census of 1897, with a population of 23,363 it was the fourth largest city of Podolia after Kamianets-Podilskyi, Uman and Vinnytsia. In 1900, the city's Jewish population numbered 13,235.
From 1924–1929, the city was the capital of the Moldavian Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic. With the annexation of Bessarabia in 1940, Balta became a part of the Odessa Oblast of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic. It was occupied by German and Romanian troops in 5 August 1941 and became part of Transnistria Governorate in Kingdom of Romania until its liberation in 29 March 1944 by Red Army.
People from Balta
- Aryeh Altman, Israeli politician
- Aryeh Leib Schochet, Rabbi
- Yuly Aykhenvald, Ukrainian Jewish literary critic
- Zellig Harris, American linguist, mathematical syntactician, and methodologist of science
- Vsevolod Holubovych, Prime Minister of the Ukrainian People's Republic
- Grigori Panteleimonov, Russian sport shooter who competed in the 1912 Summer Olympics
- Louis E. Stern (b. 08/27/1886 d. 01/11/1962) American International Lawyer, patron and friend of Chagall, Picasso, Klee and Miro, collection left to Philadelphia Museum of Art and Brooklyn Museum
- "Biographical reference". Balta City Council (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- "Balta (Odessa Oblast, Balta Raion)". weather.in.ua. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- Про віднесення міста Балта Балтського району Одеської області до категорії міст обласного значення(in Ukrainian)
- "Чисельність наявного населення України (Actual population of Ukraine)" (PDF) (in Ukrainian). State Statistics Service of Ukraine. Retrieved 1 July 2016.
- "Balta, Odessa Oblast, Balta Raion". Regions of Ukraine and their Structure (in Ukrainian). Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine. Archived from the original on 7 March 2016. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- "Historical reference". Balta City Council (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- "Balta, Ukraine". JewishGen Locality Page. JewishGen. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- Encyclopedia Judaica, "Balta, Ukraine." Retrieved 10/1/2018.