Balta Mică a Brăilei Natural Park
|Balta Mică a Brăilei Natural Park|
|Parcul Natural Balta Mică a Brăilei|
IUCN category V (protected landscape/seascape)
Danube at Brăila
|Area||17.529 hectares (43.32 acres)|
|Established||2000, designation in 1978|
The Balta Mică a Brăilei Natural Park (Romanian: Parcul Natural Balta Mică a Brăilei) is a protected area (natural park category V IUCN) which is situated in Romania, in Brăila County, on the administrative territory of communes Berteștii de Jos, Chiscani, Gropeni, Mărașu and Stăncuța.
The Natural Park is located in the inferior course of the Danube, between the Brăila Plain (Wallachian Plain) and Great Brăila Island, based on the Small Brăila Island , in the south-eastern part of country.
Balta Mică a Brăilei Natural Park an area of 17.529 ha was declared protected area by he Law Number 5 of March 6, 2000 (published in Romanian Official Paper Number 152 of March 12, 2000) and is a wetland of international importance especially a waterfowl habitat (aquatic ecosystem) and terrestrial species.
Species of birds: red-breasted goose (Branta ruficollis), Dalmatian pelican (Pelecanus criptus), purple heron (Ardea purpurea), pygmy cormorant (Phalacrocorax pygmeus), squacco heron (Ardeola ralloides), black stork (Ciconia nigra), ferruginous duck (Aythya nyroca), whooper swan (Cygnus cygnus).
- European route E60 Bucureşti - Moviliţa - Urziceni - National road DN2A Slobozia - Ţăndărei - Giurgeni - bridge Giurgeni-Vadu Oii
- eunis.eea.europa.eu - Balta Mică a Brăilei Natural Park (coords); retrieved on June 09, 2012
- protectedplanet.net - Balta Mică a Brăilei Natural Park (location); retrieved on June 09, 2012
- (in Romanian) apmbr.anpm.ro - Agenţia pentru Protecţia Mediului Brăila; retrieved on June 09, 2012
- (in Romanian) cdep.ro - Legea Nr.5 din 6 martie 2000; retrieved on June 09, 2012
- Red-breasted goose in Romanian: Raţa cu gâtul roşu
- visitdanubedelta.com - Species of birds; retrieved on June 09, 2012