Baltimore National Cemetery
Coordinates: Baltimore National Cemetery is a United States National Cemetery located along Maryland Route 144 on both sides of the boundary between the neighborhoods of Beechfield in Baltimore City and Catonsville in Baltimore County. It encompasses 72.2 acres (29.2 ha), and as of the end of 2005, had 44,268 interments.
A kiosk located on the side of the cemetery's administration building lists the names of veterans and dependents buried in this and two other cemeteries: Annapolis National Cemetery and Loudon Park National Cemetery. The kiosk also provides map locations for each grave.
The area of the Baltimore National Cemetery was once part of an elevated site in Baltimore, referred to as early as 1750 as the Cloud Capped estate. It was originally owned by the Baltimore Company and Charles Carroll of Carrollton. In 1890 it was acquired by Blanchard and Susan Randall. When the nearby Loudon Park National Cemetery was deemed full, the War Department surveyed the area for a new site. In 1936 the federal government took possession of the land for a cost of $95,000, and began converting the estate to "Little Arlington". The old mansion was demolished, fences were put up, roads were constructed, and landscaping was done as part of a Works Progress Administration to invest in infrastructure during the Great Depression.The first interment took place on December 18, 1936, but the cemetery was not formally dedicated until May 30, 1941.
- Fireman, First Class Loddie Stupka, Medal of Honor recipient for peace-time service in the United States Navy.
- CW2 Joseph B. Aviles, Sr., the first Hispanic promoted to Chief Petty Officer and later the first Hispanic to be promoted to Chief Warrant Officer in the United States Coast Guard.
- National Cemetery Administration
- Baltimore National Cemetery
- Interment.net: Baltimore National Cemetery
- Historic American Landscapes Survey (HALS) No. MD-4, "Baltimore National Cemetery, 5501 Frederick Avenue, Baltimore, Independent City, MD", 23 photos, 3 photo caption pages