Hortibus undique septa
|Borders||Attard, Birkirkara, Iklin, Lija|
|• Mayor||Dr. Ian Spiteri (PN)|
|• Total||0.6 km2 (0.2 sq mi)|
|Elevation||56 m (184 ft)|
|• Density||6,600/km2 (17,000/sq mi)|
|Demonyms||Balzani (m), Balzanija (f), Balzanin (pl)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|ISO 3166 code||MT-02|
|Day of festa||2nd Sunday of July|
|Three Villages of Malta|
|Attard - Balzan - Lija|
Balzan (Maltese: Ħal Balzan) is a municipality in the Central Region of Malta, one of the so-called three villages, together with Attard and Lija. The village originally consisted of a group of small dwellings and farms but eventually grew, becoming a parish in the 17th century. As of March 2014 the town has 3,958 inhabitants.
In Malta, many village names are identical to certain family names, as in Attard and Lija. It is believed by some, therefore, that the village inherited its name from a family whose family name was Balzan.
The parish church, built in the mid-17th century, is dedicated to the Annunciation of Our Lady. The church is built in the form of a Latin cross, has one belfry and an elegant dome that can be seen from all around the village. The church is built on a Tuscan style from the outside and Doric on the inside. The statue used in the village feast celebrated on the 2nd week of July, is carved in wood by Salvatore Dimech (is-sarc) and shows our lady and Gabriel the Archangel. The parish also celebrates the feast of St. Valentine, which gave the name to the village radio station, Radio Valentine, which closed down officially in 2006.
As with Attard and Lija, Balzan is a sought after location and popular with the middle and upper middle classes. The population has increased due to large-scale development taking place, largely in the form of apartment blocks replacing villas and their gardens. However, this is mainly occurring on the outskirts of the village, and not the historic centre. The majority of Balzan is an Urban Conservation Area.
Balzan Community Service
- Ħal Balzan Parish Church Office, Triq Idmejda (Idmejda Road)
- Ħal Balzan Local Council, Triq il-Kbira (Main Street)
- Ħal Balzan Police Station, Pjazza Bertu Fenech (Robert Fenech Square)
- Ħal Balzan Health Centre, Triq il-Kbira (Main Street)
- Ħal Balzan Branch Post Office, Triq il-Kbira (Main Street)
- Ħal Balzan Malta Labour Party Club, Triq it-Tliet Knejjes (Three Churches Street)
- Ħal Balzan Nationalist Party Club, Triq il-Kbira (Main Street)
- St. Gabriel Band Club (Każin Tal-Banda San Gabriel)
- Mary the Annunciation Philharmonic Society (Is-Soċjetà Filarmonika Marija Annunzjata)
Places at Balzan
- Church of the Annunciation (Pjazza Bertu Fenech / Triq il-Kbira)
- Good Shepherd Convent (Triq l-Idmejda)
- Stella Maris College (Triq il-Kbira)
- St. Francis Convent (Triq San Frangisk)
- Wignacourt Aqueduct (Triq l-Imdina)
- The Three Churches (Triq it-Tliet Knejjes)
- Malta Hospice Movement (Vjal il-Buon Pastur)
- Fra Giuseppe Zammit Summer Residence (Behind Church)
- "History of Balzan". Balzan Local Council. Retrieved 4 April 2015.
- "Estimated Population by Locality 31st March, 2014". Government of Malta. 16 May 2014. Archived from the original on 21 June 2015.
- Abela, Giovanni Francesco (1647). Della Descrizione di Malta Isola nel Mare Siciliano con le sue Antichità, ed Altre Notizie (in Italian). Paolo Bonacota. p. 89.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Balzan.|