Northern Peninsula Airport
|Northern Peninsula Airport
(formerly Bamaga Airport)
|Operator||Northern Peninsula Area Regional Council|
|Location||Bamaga, Queensland, Australia|
|Elevation AMSL||34 ft / 10 m|
Northern Peninsula Airport (IATA: ABM, ICAO: YNPE) is an airport serving Bamaga, a town near the northern tip of the Cape York Peninsula and is located 5 nautical miles (9.3 km; 5.8 mi) southeast of Injinoo in Queensland, Australia. The airport is operated by the Northern Peninsula Area Regional Council. It used to be known as Bamaga Airport or Bamaga/Injinoo Airport and used the ICAO code YBAM.
Built in late 1942 and known as Jacky Jacky Field, the airfield was renamed Higgins Field in 1943 in honour of Flight Lieutenant Brian Hartley Higgins. Operated as a dispersal field for Horn Island.
- No. 1 Repair and Salvage Unit RAAF
- No. 5 Repair and Salvage Unit RAAF
- No. 7 Squadron RAAF
- No. 23 Squadron RAAF
- No. 33 Operational Base Unit RAAF
- No. 34 Squadron RAAF
- No. 52 Radar Station RAAF was at nearby Mutee Head
- 105th Light Field Ambulance
Airlines and destinations
|Regional Express Airlines||Cairns |
|Skytrans Airlines||Cairns, Aurukun, Weipa, Horn Island|
- PDF). AIP En Route Supplement from Airservices Australia, effective 10 November 2016, Aeronautical Chart (
- Airport information for YBAM at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.
- Peter Dunn (3 August 2016). "Higgins Field, Qld during WW2". Australia @ War. Retrieved 19 August 2016.
- "RAAF Base Higgins". RAAF Museum. Retrieved 19 August 2016.