Chairman of the Board
|Products||Cement and concrete|
|Revenue||KES: 39.2 billion (2015)|
|KES: 5.87 billion (2015)|
|Total assets||KES: 42 billion (2015)|
|Total equity||KES: 29.7 billion (2015)|
Number of employees
Bamburi Cement Limited is an industrial company in Kenya specialising in cement and concrete. The company has operations in Bamburi suburb of Mombasa, it's headquartered in Nairobi and its stock is listed on the Nairobi Securities Exchange.
Bamburi Cement is the largest manufactures of cement in Eastern Africa, with its cement plant in Mombasa being the second largest cement plant in sub-Saharan Africa. This has given it the title of largest manufacturing export earner in Kenya. As of December 2015, the company's total assets were valued at US$420 million, with shareholders' equity of about US$297 million.
Bamburi Cement was founded in 1951 by Felix Mandl as a partnership between Cementia Holding and Blue Circle in British Kenya. The company started production from its Mombasa plant in 1954. In 1998, Bamburi opened a clinker grinding plant in Athi River.
Subsidiaries and investments
The companies that comprise Bamburi Cement include, but are not limited, to the following:
- Bamburi Cement – Nairobi, Kenya – The flagship company of the group. This unit engages in the production of cement.
- Hima Cement Limited – Hima, Uganda – 100% Shareholding – This unit engages in the production of cement in Kasese, Uganda. 70% of this investment is held through HimCem Holdings while the rest held directly by Bamburi Cement.
- Bamburi Special Products – Nairobi, Kenya – 100% Shareholding – This subsidiary is dedicated to manufacturing of concrete paving blocks and ready mix concrete.
- Lafarge Eco systems – Nairobi, Kenya – 100% Shareholding – The environmental and rehabilitation arm of the group.
- HimCem Holdings – Saint Helier, Jersey – 100% Shareholding – An investment holding company.
- East African Portland Cement Company – Athi River, Kenya – 12.5% Shareholding – A Kenya based cement manufacturer listed on the NSE.
The shares of Bamburi Cement are traded on the main market segment of the Nairobi Securities Exchange, under the ticker symbol: BAMB. The shareholding in the company's stock as at 31 December 2016 was as depicted in the table below:
|Rank||Name of Owner||Percentage Ownership|
|1||Fincem Holding Limited||29.30|
|2||Kencem Holding Limited||29.30|
During its early years, cement production grew from 1.2 million tons to 25 million tons. This made the Bamburi quarries inhospitable arid wasteland with brackish water. In 1959, the company engaged Rene Haller to beautify the area. In the 1971 Haller embarked on the reforestation project leading to the formation of Haller Park. The park is tourist attraction with a wide range of flora and fauna.
The company has since aimed to convert barren landscape of disused limestone quarries into vibrant and diverse ecosystem of forest, grasslands and ponds.
Bamburi Rugby Super Series
The Bamburi Rugby Super Series is an East African Rugby union competition with eight teams in total, five teams from Kenya, two from Uganda and one from Tanzania. It is closely based on the Super Rugby competition in the southern hemisphere. Games take place at the RFUEA Ground in Nairobi, Friedkin Recreation Centre in Arusha and the Kyadondo Grounds, Kampala.
- "NSE - Listed companies". Nairobi Securities Exchange. Retrieved 2015-12-31.
- "LafargeHolcim in Kenya: Bamburi Cement Limited". LafargeHolcim. Retrieved 2016-10-16.
- "Bamburi Cement 2015 Annual Report" (PDF). Bamburi Cement. 2015-12-31. Retrieved 2016-10-16.
- "Kenya Business Directory". www.kendir.com. Archived from the original on 7 November 2010.
- "Hello Trade - Bamburi Cement Profile". Retrieved 2016-10-17.
- "Hima Cement Limited". Retrieved 2016-10-16.
- "Bamburi Special Products". Bamburi Cement. Retrieved 2016-10-16.
- "Lafarge Eco-Systems". Bamburi Cement. Retrieved 2016-10-17.
- "EFFECTS OF COMPETITION ON THE PROFITABILITY OF CEMENT MANUFACTURERS IN KENYA" (PDF). Retrieved 2016-10-17.
- East Africa Portland Cement 2011/12 Annual Report Page 85 Archived 14 August 2014 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Holcim assumes control of Bamburi Cement". Pro Global Media. 11 July 2014. Retrieved 16 October 2016.
- "Haller Park". Bamburi Cement. Retrieved 2016-10-16.