Madhukeshwara Temple at Banavasi
|District||Uttara Kannada district|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Banavasi (Kannada: ಬನವಾಸಿ) also known as Konkanapura is an ancient temple town in Uttara Kannada District in the South Indian state of Karnataka .Huen Tsang the Chinese traveler-monk who was in India between 630-644 C.E, visited Konkanapura called Konkanapulo(referred in Chinese scripts)or Banavasi.
Banavasi is the oldest town in the Karnataka state. It has grown up around the Madhukeshwara Temple built in the 9th century and dedicated to Lord Shiva the supreme God in Shaivism, a major branch of Hinduism.
In 2006, a 5th-century copper coin was discovered here with an inscription in the Kannada script, one of the oldest such coins ever discovered. The Directorate of Archaeology and Museums said that the coin's inscription in archaic Kannada proves beyond doubt that Banavasi had a mint in the 5th century.
Adikavi Pampa, the first poet of Kannada, wrote his epics in Banavasi.
Banavasi is surrounded by forest area and villages, with the Varada river flowing around it on three sides. It is located 374 km from Bangalore. The nearest railway stations are 70 km away in Haveri and Talaguppa. Sirsi, is the nearest town about 23 km,
The soil is fertile around Banavasi and rice, sugarcane, arecanut, spices and pineapple are grown there.
The annual December cultural festival, Kadambothsava, is a huge gathering, organized by the state government, and featuring folk dancers, drama troupes, classical musicians, art exhibitions, while drawing together performers, artists, and writers from all of south India.
- Kamat, Jyotsna (August 6, 2006). "Ancient City of Banavasi". Archived from the original on 20 August 2006. Retrieved 2006-08-17.
- "Banavasi- 'Kadambothsav'". BangaloreBest.com. Retrieved 2006-08-17.
- "5th century copper coin discovered at Banavasi". Deccan Herald. February 5, 2006. Archived from the original on 2006-06-14. Retrieved 2006-08-17.
- "5th Century copper coin found at Banavasi". Chennai, India: TheHindu.com. 2006-02-06. Retrieved 2006-08-17.
- Kamat, Jyotsna (August 5, 2006). "Kadambas of Banavasi". Archived from the original on 4 September 2006. Retrieved 2006-08-17.
- "South Indian Coins - The Kadambas of Hangal". Archived from the original on 2006-08-15. Retrieved 2006-08-17.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Banavasi.|
- Ancient City of Banavasi
- 5th century copper coin discovered at Banavasi
- Bouncing off to Banavasi
- Coins of the Kadambas of Banavasi
- The Kadamba Kula: A History of Ancient and Mediaeval Karnataka
- A study of regional organization at Banavasi