Banco Popular Español
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Headquarters (Madrid, Spain)
|Traded as||BMAD: POP|
|Ángel Ron (Chairman), Francisco Gomez (CEO)|
|Products||Banking and insurance|
|Revenue||€3.462 billion (2010)|
|€2.149 billion (2010)|
|Profit||€590.2 million (2010)|
|Total assets||€130.1 billion (end 2010)|
|Total equity||€8.220 billion (end 2010)|
Number of employees
|14,250 (end 2010)|
- A national bank: Banco Popular Español
- Five regional banks: Banco de Andalucía, Banco de Castilla, Banco de Crédito Balear, Banco de Vasconia, Banco de Galicia
- A mortgage bank: Banco Popular Hipotecario
- A private bank: Popular Banca Privada
- A subsidiary in France: Banco Popular France (sold in December 2008 to the French bank Crédit Mutuel-CIC and renamed as CIC Iberbanco)
- A subsidiary in Portugal: Banco Popular Portugal
- A subsidiary in U.S.A.: TotalBank (Miami Dade)
- A separate Internet bank: bancopopular-e.com
- An Estate Services subsidiary: Aliseda
- Representative offices abroad: Belgium, Chile, Germany, Hong-Kong, Morocco, Netherlands, Switzerland (Geneva and Zürich), London, United States Of America, France, Italy and Venezuela.
- 1926: Founding of Banco Popular Español (BPE).
- 1968: BPE opens a representative office in Paris that became a subsidiary that by 1991 had a network of 14 branches in France.
- 1992: BPE converts its subsidiary in France into a joint venture with Banco Comercial Português under the name Banco Popular Comercial.
- 2000: BPE establishes a network of branches in Portugal.
- 2002: BPE and Banco Comercial Português part ways; Banco Popular Comercial becomes a wholly owned subsidiary of Banco Popular and changes its name to Banco Popular France. In Portugal, Banco Popular buys Banco Nacional de Crédito (BNC) and transfers its existing branches there to BNC. Later, in 2005, BNC changed its name to Banco Popular Portugal.
- 2007: BPE bought a small bank in Southern Florida (United States of America) called TotalBank for US$300 million. The bank has 20 branches in Miami Dade County and more than 400 employees -more about TotalBank here-.
- "Annual Results 2010" (PDF). Banco Popular Español. Retrieved 7 February 2011.
- Bjork, Christopher (2007-07-11). "Spain's Banco Popular to buy U.S. TotalBank for $300 mln". MarketWatch. Archived from the original on 4 December 2009. Retrieved 2009-12-06.