Banda Yeh Bindaas Hai
|Banda Yeh Bindaas Hai|
|Directed by||Ravi Chopra|
|Based on||My Cousin Vinny|
|Produced by||Ravi Chopra|
B. R. Chopra
|Edited by||Akiv Ali|
Banda Yeh Bindaas Hai (transl. This guy is cool) is an unreleased Indian Hindi-language comedy film directed by Ravi Chopra, starring Govinda, Salman Khan, Tabu, Lara Dutta, and Boman Irani. It is a remake of the American film My Cousin Vinny (1992).
- Govinda as Raj Ahuja
- Salman Khan
- Lara Dutta
- Ashish Chaudhary as Vikram Malhotra
- Vishal Malhotra as Jimmy Khanna
- Boman Irani as Veer Ahuja
- Rajpal Yadav as Ghokla Bhai
- Satish Shah as Satish Malhotra
- Zakir Hussain as Javed Quadri
The director was served with a legal notice in 2009 by 20th Century Fox, which charged that the film blatantly plagiarised their 1992 film My Cousin Vinny. Chopra and the production company, Mumbai-based BR Films, denied the charges in court in May 2009; the film's release was to be delayed until June 2009 by order of the Bombay High Court.
A lawsuit was filed against BR Films by Twentieth Century Fox for copying their film without buying the rights. Fox sought damages of $1.4 million; they had given Chopra permission "to make a film loosely based on the Oscar-winning movie" but concluded the final product was a "substantial reproduction" of the original. Fox eventually accepted a $200,000 settlement from the film's producer, although since the death of Ravi Chopra in 2014, it has not seen a theatrical release.
The Telegraph, listing a number of other Bollywood movies "inspired" by Hollywood blockbusters, noted that the case would "decide whether Indian filmmakers can continue to get their 'inspiration' with impunity, or buy rights the legal way."
- Vyas, Hetal (16 June 2009). "Ravi Chopra's film in legal trouble". The Times of India. Archived from the original on 11 August 2011. Retrieved 20 February 2010.
- Prabhakarp, Jyothi (20 February 2010). "I'm single, by choice: Tabu". The Times of India. Archived from the original on 11 August 2011. Retrieved 20 February 2010.
- Adarsh, Taran (29 April 2009). "Banda Yeh Bindaas Hai in deep trouble". Oneindia. Archived from the original on 9 February 2021. Retrieved 20 February 2010.
- "Banda Yeh Bindaas Hai: stuck in copyright row, release on hold for multiplex stir". The Indian Express. 21 May 2009. Archived from the original on 9 February 2021. Retrieved 30 April 2018.
- Pradhan, Bharathi S. (19 July 2009). "Goodbye to copy cat days". The Telegraph (Kolkata). Retrieved 20 February 2010.
- Sen, Manjula S. (24 May 2009). "No ripoffs, please". The Telegraph (Kolkata). Retrieved 20 February 2010.
- "B R Films settles plagiarism charges with Fox". The Indian Express. 8 August 2009. Archived from the original on 3 December 2012. Retrieved 20 February 2010.
- Wax, Emily (29 August 2009). "Hollywood Finally Challenging India's Booming Bollywood Over Knockoffs". The Washington Post. Archived from the original on 9 February 2021. Retrieved 8 April 2016.
- Srivastava, Sumeysh (28 March 2018). "'Raabta', 'Partner', 'Kaante': How Bollywood has dealt with plagiarism cases". Scroll.in. Archived from the original on 9 February 2021. Retrieved 30 April 2018.
- "After It's My Life, 15 More Delayed Films That Deserve a TV or OTT Release!". ZEE5. 5 November 2020. Archived from the original on 9 February 2021. Retrieved 11 January 2021.