|Born||Emily Kinaka Banadzem|
20 February 1991
|Alma mater||University of Yaounde 1|
Bandy Kiki is a Cameroonian blogger, LGBT activist and a serial entrepreneur based in the U.K. She is the creator of Kinnaka's Blog, a high traffic English-speaking website in Cameroon for news and entertainment. She is a controversial figure due to her political views and LGBT activism, and has been called "The Most Hated Anglophone On Social Media in Cameroon."
Kiki started her career as a blogger in the UK, in a daily published online blog Kinnaka’s Blog and Kinnaka’s TV, launched in 2015. Her blog is one of the most frequented by anglophone Cameroonians. In 2016, she was listed among the 50 most influential Cameroonian youths under the age of 40 by Avance Media, CELBMD Africa and partners.[unreliable source?] Kiki was crowned Best Cameroonian Media CAMEEA in 2015 and won "Best 2016 Blogger" from Diaspora Entertainment Awards. Kiki is a spokesperson for the Rainbow Equality Hub, an NGO that supports LGBT people in Cameroon. In 2017, she was nominated for best African Blogger of the Year Award By AWA. In a May 2017 interview, Kiki announced she would be assisting Irène Major with the Gay in Africa Foundation. She also gave an interview to the Humen Online Hungarian gay magazine, which is also available in Hungarian language.
Controversy and attacks
She was criticized for her controversial post on her blog following the ongoing 2016–2017 Cameroonian protests. She received extensive abuse online, including the spread of unsubstantiated rumors claiming Kiki was HIV-positive and that she is an agent of the Cameroon government attempting to sabotage the ongoing crisis. Kiki has denied those claims. Kiki has been criticized for being gay and supporting LGBT rights in Cameroon. In one example, film producer Agbor Gilbert Ebot stated that ''...If I catch you for Cameroon, I go 'rape' you well well so that di demon of lesbianism go comot for your body…I get plans to give you belle..." She has been the subject of death threats.
In 2017, Kiki announced her engagement to Becky, a 24–25 year old Cameroonian living in the UK.
- "Cameroon: Gay blogger no get any regret". BBC News Pidgin. 2017-11-18. Retrieved 2018-03-06.
- Cee, Cee (2017-10-05). "Cameroonian Blogger Bandy Kiki Takes LGBTQ Activism To The Next Level Despite Threats From Her Community". Ear Hustle 411. Retrieved 2018-01-27.
- Marchant, Apai-Ketuya (2017-11-09). "I'm African and a Lesbian: Get over it". Artefact. Retrieved 2018-03-06.
- Ngomba, Joan (2017-10-14). "Kinnaka's Blog CEO Bandy Kiki is engaged: 4 things to know about her girlfriend". Dcoded TV. Retrieved 2018-03-07.
- "Is Bandy Kiki (of Kinnaka's Blog) The Most Hated Anglophone On Social Media in Cameroon?". 2017-02-09. Retrieved 2018-03-06.
- Ngomba, Joan (2017-10-14). "Kinnaka's Blog founder, Bandy Kiki comes out as gay". Dcoded TV. Retrieved 2018-03-07.
- Cee, Cee (2017-02-13). "Cameroonian Blogger, Bandy Kiki Wrongly Labelled 'Aids Patient' Due To Her Stand On Ongoing Political Unrest In Southern Cameroon". Ear Hustle 411. Retrieved 2018-03-07.
- "Full list of 50 most influential young Cameroonians 2016 nominees". CameroonWeb. Retrieved 2018-03-06.
- Thatchers, Henriette. "UK Based Cameroonian Maverick Blogger Kiki Bandy Nominated For Best African Blogger Of The Year Award By AWA". Henriette Thatcher's Lounge. Retrieved 2018-03-06.
- "Exclusive: Blogger Bandy KIKI Defends Her Support For Homosexuals". Cameroon News Agency. 2017-05-26. Retrieved 2018-03-07.
- ""Life is not a bed of roses when you are African, black and a lesbian"". Humen Online (in Hungarian). Retrieved 2018-06-20.
- "„Nem egy leányálom, ha egyszerre vagy fekete, afrikai és leszbikus"". Humen Online (in Hungarian). 2017-12-11. Retrieved 2018-06-20.
- "Was Tapang Ivo and Mark Bareta Involved in "Shady Deals?" Or is Kiki Bandy Just Having a Crush on The Boys? | The Cameroon Daily Journal". Cameroon Journal. Retrieved 2018-03-06.[permanent dead link]
- "Cover Star: LGBT Activist, Bandy Kiki". The Rustin Times. 2017-09-17. Retrieved 2018-03-06.
- "CAMEROONIAN BLOGGER BANDY KIKI ANNOUNCES THAT SHE'S A LESBIAN AND IS ENGAGED TO BE MARRIED! - THE HOTJEM | Africa's #1 Fashion, Lifestyle, Entertainment Magazine". thehotjem.com. Retrieved 2018-03-06.