Lineage and ancestry
Banerjees are from the ancient Shandilya Gotra, which means all Banerjees are descended from Kannauj from the ancient sage Shandilya as per the Puranas. Together with Mukherjees, Chatterjees, Bhattacharjees and Gangulys, Banerjees form the Kulin Brahmins.
"Indian (Bengal) and Bangladeshi: Hindu (Brahman) name, the first element of which, Ban-, is taken from Bandyopadhyay The final element -jee is derived from jha (greatly reduced form of Sanskrit upadhyaya 'teacher'); thus, Banerjee 'teacher who is head and only performs the main work aarti or,Vandana. A Sanskrit version of this name, Vandyopadhyaya, was coined from the elements vandya 'venerable' + upadhyaya 'teacher'. "
Notable people with the surname Banerjee, Bandopadhyay, or variations, include:
- Alapan Bandyopadhyay, (born 1961) IAS Officer
- Anjan Bandyopadhyay, (1965 – 2021) journalist
- Abhijit Banerjee, (born 1961) Nobel laureate economist
- Albion Rajkumar Banerjee (1871 – 1950) an Indian civil servant and administrator
- Ambica Banerjee (1928 – 2013) a member of the 15th Lok Sabha.
- Audrish Banerjee
- Bhanu Banerjee, actor and freedom activist
- Bibhutibhushan Bandyopadhyay
- Bidisha Bandyopadhyay, writer, broadcaster
- Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni
- Dibakar Banerjee, film director
- Dola Banerjee
- Gooroodas Banerjee, High Court judge
- Gurudas Bandyopadhyay, Actor
- Gopeshwar Banerjee
- Haradhan Bandopadhyay, actor
- Ishwar Chandra Bandyopadhyay
- Jenni Banerjee, actress
- John Banerjee, the second non-European bishop of the Church of India, Burma and Ceylon
- Kali Banerjee, actor
- Kali Charan Banerjee
- Kalyan Banerjee
- Kanika Bandyopadhyay (1924–2000), singer
- Kanu Banerjee (1905–1985), actor (Pather Panchali)
- Karuna Banerjee (1919–2001), actress (Pather Panchali)
- Krishna Mohan Banerjee
- Kaushik Banerjee, actor
- Mamata Banerjee
- Manik Bandopadhyay, writer, novelist
- Nikhil Banerjee, composer, musician
- Nyra Banerjee, Indian television actress and assistant director.
- Pradip Kumar Banerjee
- Prith Banerjee
- Pooja Banerjee, television actress
- Puja Banerjee, film and television actress
- Rachana Banerjee, actor
- Raghab Bandyopadhyay, prose writer
- Rahul Banerjee, archer
- R D Banerji, The discoverer of Mohenjo-daro, the principal site of the Indus Valley Civilisation
- Rina Banerjee
- Ruprekha Banerjee
- San Banarje, film director, producer, photographer
- Sanjay Banerjee, Indian engineer
- Shakuntala Banerjee (born 1973), German journalist
- Sharadindu Bandyopadhyay
- Sarnath Banerjee
- Somen Banerjee
- Surendranath Banerjee, first Indian to qualify Indian Civil Service Examination
- Sushmita Banerjee, writer
- Syagnik Banerjee , scholar, author, and professor
- Victor Banerjee, actor both in Tollywood, Bollywood and Hollywood
- Vikram Banerjee
- Gargi Banerji, cricketer
- Sara Banerji, writer
- Womesh Chunder Bonnerjee, first president of the Indian National Congress.
- Ghurye, Govind Sadashiv (1969). Caste and Race in India. Popular Prakashan. p. 257. ISBN 978-81-7154-205-5. Retrieved 16 March 2020.
- Hopkins, Thomas J. (1989). "The Social and Religious Background for Transmission of Gaudiya Vaisnavism to the West". In Bromley, David G.; Shinn, Larry D. (eds.). Krishna consciousness in the West. Bucknell University Press. pp. 35–36. ISBN 978-0-8387-5144-2. Retrieved 28 February 2022.
- Hanks, Patrick (8 May 2003). Dictionary of American Family Names. Oxford University Press. p. 94. ISBN 978-0-19-977169-1.