Banes municipality (red) within
Holguín Province (yellow) and Cuba
|• Total||781 km2 (302 sq mi)|
|Elevation||100 m (300 ft)|
|• Density||104.1/km2 (270/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (EST)|
Hurricane Ike made landfall here as a Category 4 hurricane on the evening of September 7, 2008, causing great losses of property.
The municipality is divided into the barrios of Angeles, Berros, Cañadón, Durruthy, Este, Flores, Macabi, Mulas, Nuevo Banes, Oeste, Retrete, Río Seco, Samá (includes Guardalavaca), Marcané, Veguitas and Yaguajay.
- Fulgencio Batista (1901–1973), politician
- Victor Brown (?–2016), musician
- Rafael Díaz-Balart (1926–2005), politician
- Rafael José Díaz-Balart (1899–1985), politician
- Waldo Díaz-Balart (b. 1931), painter
- Julio González (1920–1991), baseball player
- Peruchín (1913–1977), pianist
- Gilberto Zaldívar (1934–2009), Cuban-American theatre director
- Guije.com. "Banes" (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 12 October 2007. Retrieved 2007-10-05.
- Statoids. "Municipios of Cuba". Archived from the original on 27 September 2007. Retrieved 2007-10-05.
- Atenas.cu (2004). "2004 Population trends, by Province and Municipality" (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 27 September 2007. Retrieved 2007-10-05.
- Taino-Tribe.org. "Taino Dictionary" (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 13 October 2007. Retrieved 2007-10-18.
Media related to Banes at Wikimedia Commons
|This Cuban location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|