Bang the Drum All Day
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|"Bang the Drum All Day"|
|Single by Todd Rundgren|
|from the album The Ever Popular Tortured Artist Effect|
|Recorded||1982 at Utopia Sound Studios|
|Todd Rundgren singles chronology|
"Bang the Drum All Day" is a 1983 song by Todd Rundgren. The lyrics describe, in the first person, the singer's drive to "bang on the drum all day" to the exclusion of everything else. All the instruments on this track are performed by Rundgren. The song has become popular as an anti-work anthem or anthem of celebration.
Rundgren would re-record the song live for subscribers to his Patronet service. The new version was retitled "Bang the Ukulele Daily," referring to Rundgren's decision to perform it in a Hawaiian style, accompanied only by a ukulele. "Bang the Ukulele Daily" was included on his album One Long Year.
In popular culture
The song is featured on the radio show The Morning Drive on Sirius XM NASCAR Radio, a morning talk show hosted by Mike Bagley and Pete Pistone. The song is used on Friday mornings to celebrate the upcoming weekend. Likewise for many years, classic hits station WKLH in Milwaukee played it every Friday at 5 p.m. to signal the end of the work week.
|1983||UK Singles Chart||86|
|1983||US Billboard Pop Singles||63|
|1983||US Billboard Mainstream Rock||39|
- Wolfley, Bob. "Musician Rundgren happy his song is a big bang in Lambeau". www.jsonline.com. Retrieved 2016-03-11.
- LordExolios (2010-05-14), I don't want to work..., retrieved 2016-03-11
- "Bang the Drum All Day by Todd Rundgren Songfacts". www.songfacts.com. Retrieved 2016-03-11.
- "Chart Stats - Todd Rundgren". chartstats.com. Retrieved 2011-11-25.
- "allmusic ((( Todd Rundgren > Charts & Awards > Billboard Singles )))". Billboard. Retrieved 2011-12-17.