Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Agricultural University
|বঙ্গবন্ধু শেখ মুজিবুর রহমান কৃষি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়|
|Established||22 November 1998|
|Chancellor||President Abdul Hamid|
|Vice-Chancellor||Professor Dr. Md. Giashuddin Miah|
|Location||Salna, Gazipur, Bangladesh|
Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Agricultural University (BSMRAU) (Bengali: বঙ্গবন্ধু শেখ মুজিবুর রহমান কৃষি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয় (বশেমুরকৃবি)) is a public agricultural university in Bangladesh, established in 1998. It is located at South Salna, in Gazipur District. Which is 9.5 km from Gazipur Chowrasta, just beside the Dhaka-Mymensingh Highway.
- 1 History
- 2 Campus
- 3 Students dormitories
- 4 Academics
- 5 Faculties and departments
- 6 Admission
- 7 Notable people
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
BSMRAU is the 3rd agricultural university and 13th public university financed by the government of Bangladesh. It was established on 22 November 1998. Previously, it was established as Institute of Post Graduate Studies in Agriculture (IPSA). In 1983, IPSA was originally established as the Bangladesh College of Agricultural Sciences (BCAS). It was an academic part of Bangladesh Agricultural Research Institute (BARI) and associated academically with Bangladesh Agricultural University. IPSA was transformed in an autonomous institution by the government of Bangladesh and started course credit based MS and PhD programs in 1991. The graduate program of IPSA was developed by the teachers of IPSA led by L. M. Eisgruver of Oregon State University (OSU).
With the following success in agricultural studies and research on the term based course credit system, IPSA was nationally and internationally recognised as the "Center of Excellence" for its outstanding performance. In 1998 IPSA transformed into BSMRAU as a public university continuing the post graduate program and launched Undergraduate program as follow as the term based course credit system. In 2005, BSMRAU started to offer Bachelor of Science degree in Agriculture [BS (Agriculture)].
In 2008, BSMRAU established Faculty of Fisheries and started to offer BS degree in Fisheries. Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Sciences was established in 2009 and started the degree in Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM). After 3 years in 2012, BSMRAU established the Faculty of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development and started offering BS in Agricultural Economics. Now, BSMRAU has five faculties. Some faculties are proposed to establish such as Agroforestry and Environment, Agricultural Engineering, Food Science and Technology etc.
BSMRAU is situated in Salna of Gazipur city corporation on the Dhaka-Mymensingh highway, 15 kilometres (9.3 mi) from Gazipur district headquarters, 9.5 kilometres (5.9 mi) from Joydebpur Chourasta, 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) from Security Printing Press and Ordinance Factory, and 40 kilometres (25 mi) from away from Dhaka city. The campus covers an area of 187 acres (76 ha) land including about 50 acres (20 ha) of well-developed experimental farm area. Located in a rural setting in between Joydebpur Chourasta and National Park of Rajendrapur, surrounded by the Sal forest of the Madhupur Tract and characterised by the topographical diversity with undulated land.
According to BSMRAU, it offers a unique, calm, quiet and non-political campus most suitable for academic pursuit.
- Administrative Building
- 4 Faculty Buildings
- 4 Students Dormitory (2 for Male and 2 for Female students)
- Residential Facilities for Teachers, Officers and Employees
- Kbd. Dr. Kazi M. Badruddoza Outreach Center
- Library and AV Room
- Dr. M. Wazed Mia Central Laboratory
- Begum Sufiya Kamal Auditorium
- Research Field
- Health Center
- Central Mosque
- Sports Ground
- Guest House
- Sonali Bank and DBBL ATM Booth
- BSMRAU School
- BECS Supershop
- Ansar Camp
There are also some proposed infrastructures including faculty building of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development, Students dormitory, international complex, Veterinary Clinic etc.
- Shaheed Ahsanullah Master Hall
- Shaheed Tajuddin Ahmed Hall
- Bangamata Sheikh Fazilatunnesa Mujib Hall
- Ila Mitra Hall
Faculties and departments
Faculty of Postgraduate Studies
Faculty of Agriculture
- Agricultural Extension and Rural Development
- Agroforestry and Environment
- Agricultural Engineering
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Environmental Science
- Computer Science and Information Technology( CSIT )
- Crop Botany
- Genetics and Plant Breeding
- Plant Pathology
- Soil Science
- Seed Science and Technology Unit
Faculty of Fisheries
- Department of Aquaculture
- Fisheries Biology and Aquatic Environment
- Fisheries Management
- Fisheries Technology
- Genetics and Fish Breeding
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science
- Department of Anatomy & Histology
- Department of Animal Breeding & Genetics
- Department of Animal Science & Nutrition
- Department of Dairy & Poultry Science
- Department of Gynecology & Reproductive Health
- Department of Medicine
- Department of Micro-biology & Public Health
- Department of Pathobiology
- Department of Physiology & Pharmacology
- Department of Surgery & Radiology
Faculty of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development
- Department of Agricultural Economics
- Department of Agribusiness
- Department of Agricultural Finance & Cooperatives
- Department of Rural Development
- Department of Statistics
The BSMRAU library was primarily established for postgraduate programs. However, with the inception of undergraduate programs, efforts are underway to equip the Library with all necessary reference text books with multiple copies for all courses of undergraduate programs. The library is also regularly supplied with the journals, periodicals, bulletins, daily newspaper, magazines etc. The library is air conditioned with adequate sitting and reading facilities.
Admission in undergraduate program in BSMRAU is so competitive. To be eligible to apply to BS (Agriculture), BS (Fisheries), BS (Agricultural Economics) and DVM program the candidate must have passed the SSC (Secondary School Certificate) and HSC (Higher Secondary Certificate) examinations or equivalent examinations in "Science group" from a recognised Board or Institution. The acceptable GPA is minimum 3.50 in SSC and HSC exams respectively and total GPA is minimum 7.50. The candidate must have the B grade in physics, chemistry, mathematics, biology and English in the HSC exam.
As of 2015, the general distribution of seats for admission into Level 1, Summer 2016 Term of the undergraduate courses as offered by four faculties of BSMRAU will be as follows:
- Faculty of Agriculture: 110
- Faculty of Fisheries: 60
- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Sciences: 60
- Faculty of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development: 80
It is including all freedom fighter and other quotas. The number of total seats is 310.
- "Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- "Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Agricultural University". www.bsmrau.edu.bd. Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- BSMRAU Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Agricultural University
- Handbook For Undergraduate Students, Published By BSMRAU in March 2008;Page:01
- Admission Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Agricultural University[dead link]
- "Academy Gold Medal Award". Bangladesh Academy of Sciences. Retrieved 17 November 2015.
- "Tofazzal Islam to get BAS gold medal & award". Dhaka Tribune. 19 January 2014. Retrieved 17 November 2015.