Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Agricultural University
বঙ্গবন্ধু শেখ মুজিবুর রহমান কৃষি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়
|Bangladesh College of Agricultural Science, Institute of Post-Graduate Studies in Agriculture|
Bengali: জ্ঞান, দক্ষতা, প্রযুক্তি, সমৃদ্ধি
Motto in English
|Knowledge, Skill, Technology, Enrichment|
|Type||Public agricultural university|
|Established||22 November 1998|
|Association of Commonwealth Universities|
University Grants Commission of Bangladesh
|Chancellor||President Abdul Hamid|
|Undergraduates||~1320 (330 per Annum)|
|Campus||Rural, 190 acres (77 ha)|
|Colors||Blue, red, & green|
Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Agricultural University (BSMRAU) (Bengali: বঙ্গবন্ধু শেখ মুজিবুর রহমান কৃষি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয় (বশেমুরকৃবি)) is a public agricultural university in Bangladesh, established in 1998. It is located at South Salna, in Gazipur District. It is 9.5 kilometres (5.9 mi) from Gazipur Chowrasta, just east of the Dhaka-Mymensingh Highway.
According to the Scimago Institute Rankings, 2021 report, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Agricultural University (Bashemurkribi) has been ranked first (first place) in these three indices of research, innovation and social position among the public and private universities of the country by international standards.
BSMRAU was established on 22 November 1998. The university is named after the father of the nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman. Previously, it was established as Institute of Post Graduate Studies in Agriculture (IPSA). In 1983, IPSA was originally established as the Bangladesh College of Agricultural Sciences (BCAS). It was an academic part of Bangladesh Agricultural Research Institute (BARI) and associated academically with Bangladesh Agricultural University. IPSA was transformed in an autonomous institution by the government of Bangladesh and started course credit based MS and Ph.D. programs in 1991. The graduate program of IPSA was developed by the teachers of IPSA led by L. M. Eisgruver of Oregon State University (OSU).
In 1998, IPSA transformed into BSMRAU. As a public university, it continued the post-graduate program and launched an undergraduate program. In 2005, BSMRAU started to offer a Bachelor of Science degree in Agriculture [BS (Agriculture)].
In 2008, BSMRAU established its Faculty of Fisheries and started to offer a BS degree in Fisheries. The Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Sciences was established in 2009 and started to offer the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) degree. After 3 years, in 2012, BSMRAU established the Faculty of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development and started offering a BS in Agricultural Economics. Now, BSMRAU has five faculties. and one Institute Institute of Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering (IBGE), while a Faculty of Forest and Environment is under the process of establishment. Another two institutes namely, Institute of Climate Change (ICC) and Institute of Food Safety and Processing (IFSP) are under the process of operation.
BSMRAU is situated in Salna of Gazipur city corporation on the Dhaka-Mymensingh highway, 15 kilometres (9.3 mi) from Gazipur district headquarters, 9.5 kilometres (5.9 mi) from Joydebpur Chourasta, 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) from Security Printing Press and Ordinance Factory, and 40 kilometres (25 mi) from away from Dhaka city. The campus covers an area of 190 acres (77 ha) land including about 50 acres (20 ha) of well-developed experimental farm area. Located in a rural setting in between Joydebpur Chowrasta and National Park of Rajendrapur, surrounded by the Sal forest of the Madhupur Tract and characterized by the topographical diversity with undulated land.
The university has a regular bus service from campus to Dhaka (Farmgate) twice a day including Friday also. And campus to Joydepur in nears to 2 hours interval  According to BSMRAU, it offers a unique, calm and quiet campus; most suitable for academic pursuit.
- Administrative Building
- 5 Faculty Buildings
- 4 Students Dormitory (2 for Male and 2 for Female students)
- Residential Facilities for Teachers, Officers, and Employees
- Kbd. Dr. Kazi M. Badruddoza Outreach Center
- Dr. M. Wazed Mia Central Laboratory
- Technology Exhibition Center
- Prof. Dr. Yoshio Yamada Library and AV Room
- Ex-situ Gene Bank/ Eco Park
- Central Mosque
- Begum Sufiya Kamal Auditorium (Accommodation of Around 1,000 seats)
- Conference Room
- Research Field
- Digital Herbarium and Herbal museum for Crop Plant
- Lake View Study Park
- Modern TSC
- Health Centre
- International Complex
- Shaheed Minar (Monument)
- Sports Ground
- BSMRAU Sub-postoffice
- Guest House
- Sonali Bank Branch and DBBL Fast Track with ATM Booth
- BSMRAU School
- Nursery/Children Park
- BECS Supershop
- Ansar Camp
- Veterinary Clinic
- International Complex
English is the medium of instruction at BSMRAU. The study at BSMRAU comprises Term based Course Credit System, which the students can understand going through the following points thoroughly:
- The Course Credit System: The course credit system involves course work with regular classes, assignments, unannounced quizzes, and pre-scheduled 2 midterms and final examinations. In this system, subject matter is taught in modules (courses) of reasonably homogenous subject matter, The students will receive “Grades” for each of the courses taken to indicate the extent of his/her mastery of the subject matter taught in each respective course.
- Term: An academic year is divided into three terms – Summer, Autumn and Winter. Each term consists of 12 (twelve) effective weeks.
- Credit: One class hour in a week during a term shall be considered as one credit. For laboratory classes, two class hours shall be considered as one credit.
- Course: A course is a set of topics delivered to the students by lectures, contact hours and practical exercises on a specific subject incorporated in the approved curricular layout and developed by the Board of Studies (BOS) to offer in a term.
- Course Coding: Each course is designated by 3 (three) capital letters and a 3-digit number. The 3 letters indicate the department offering the course. Of the three digits, the first digit indicates the academic year in which the course is normally offered. The next two digits indicate the offering term, where 01-30 stand for the First term, 31-60 for the Second term, and 61-99 for the third term.
Research and publications
The university has been conducting researches from its inception shouldering active roles in the national and international agricultural research arena. Teaching excellence and effective research are conclusively interrelated in academics and that of innovation in programs. Classrooms teaching are continually powered and enriched by those faculty members who are actively engaged in research. Faculty members of this university have many long and short-term research projects and these projects are prepared as per national agricultural research needs and implemented. Some of the faculty members also prepare and implement research projects in collaboration with national and international research scientists. In many cases, the postgraduate student research is linked with the research projects of the faculty members. The functions of the research management wing are to integrate the research programs undertaken by different academic departments, allocate budget, publish research abstracts, journals annual report, invite Research Management Committee (RMC) funded research project proposals, and evaluate, implement and monitor these projects.
Some of the Research Journals Publishes by the university is given below:
- Annals of Bangladesh Agriculture (BSMRAU)
- Bangladesh Journal of Entomology (BES/BSMRAU)
- Bangladesh Journal of Plant Breeding and Genetics (BSMRAU)
- Bangladesh Journal of Plant Pathology (BPS/BSMRAU)
BSMRAU have developed 44 improved varieties of vegetables, cereals, pulses, fruits and flowers which are commercially cultivated by farmers throughout Bangladesh due to their high yield and nutritional potentials.
As of Spain-based Scimago Institutional Rankings for the Year 2021 BSMRAU Ranks 747th (Overall) & 378th (Research) in the World and 1st in Overall Bangladeshi Universities and Research Institutions.
Faculties and departments
Faculty of Postgraduate Studies
Departments offering MS degree
Departments offering PhD degree
|1.||Agricultural Economics||1.||Agricultural Economics|
|2.||Agricultural Extension and Rural Development||2.||Agricultural Extension and Rural Development|
|3.||Agroforestry and Environment||3.||Agroforestry and Environment|
|7.||Animal Science and Nutrition||7.||Entomology|
|8.||Aquaculture||8.||Genetics and Plant Breeding|
|10.||Crop Botany||10.||Plant Pathology|
|11.||Dairy and Poultry Science||11.||Soil Science|
|12.||Environmental Science||12.||Seed Science and Technology (Unit)|
|14.||Fisheries Biology & Aquatic Environment||
|15.||Fisheries Technology||1.||Computer Science & Information Technology|
|17.||Genetics & Fish Breeding|
|18.||Gynecology, Obstetrics & Reproductive Health|
|19.||Genetics and Plant Breeding|
|24.||Seed Science and Technology (Unit)|
Faculty of Agriculture
- Agricultural Extension and Rural Development
- Agroforestry and Environment
- Agricultural Engineering
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Environmental Science
- Computer Science and Information Technology( CSIT )
- Crop Botany
- Genetics and Plant Breeding
- Plant Pathology
- Soil Science
- Seed Science and Technology Unit
Faculty of Fisheries
- Department of Aquaculture
- Fisheries Biology and Aquatic Environment
- Fisheries Management
- Fisheries Technology
- Genetics and Fish Breeding
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science
- Department of Anatomy & Histology
- Department of Animal Breeding & Genetics
- Department of Animal Science & Nutrition
- Department of Dairy & Poultry Science
- Department of Gynecology, Obstetrics & Reproductive Health
- Department of Medicine
- Department of Microbiology & Public Health
- Department of Pathobiology
- Department of Physiology & Pharmacology
- Department of Surgery & Radiology
Faculty of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development
- Department of Agricultural Economics
- Department of Agribusiness
- Department of Agricultural Finance & Cooperatives
- Department of Rural Development
- Department of Statistics
The library of BSMRAU is named as Prof. Dr. Yoshio Yamada Library. It has a separate two-storied building having 14,418 squire feet spaces. It was primarily established for postgraduate programs. However, with the inception of undergraduate programs, efforts are underway to equip the library with all necessary reference text books with multiple copies for all courses of undergraduate programs. It has a collection of around 21,800 books and more than 65,000 e-journals. The library is also regularly supplied with the journals, periodicals, bulletins, daily newspaper, magazines etc. The library is air conditioned with adequate sitting and reading facilities and an Audio-visual Room.
Admission to the undergraduate program in BSMRAU is competitive. Admission related all information is available on this website admission-agri
- Faculty of Agriculture: 110
- Faculty of Fisheries: 60
- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Sciences: 60
- Faculty of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development: 100
Including all freedom fighters and other quotas, the total number of seats is 330. Multiple Choice Questions will be set from English, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics followed by the latest courses in the upper secondary level. Examination papers are written in the Multiple Choice Question (MCQ) procedure will be prepared in Bengali and English. Total 200 marks exam where 100 comes from SSC and HSC or equivalent exam results and another 100 comes from MCQ test exam marks. A new system of Cluster examination is introduced from the year 2019-2020 for seven public universities of Bangladesh which provide Education in Agricultural science. These are Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Agricultural University, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Sher-e-Bangla Agricultural University, Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Sylhet Agricultural University, Khulna Agricultural University and Patuakhali Science and Technology University. The cluster system reduced students suffering and financial costs. The admission test is held on each campus but at a time with the same question.
The Faculty of Graduate studies offers MS and PhD degree in specialized disciplines of Agriculture. The Dean, faculty of Graduate Studies as academic executive of the faculty co-ordinates the academic activities of the university at graduate level. The faculty of graduate studies includes of 22 (twenty Two) academic departments, 1(one) academic unit, 1(one) institute and 2 (two) supporting departments. Each academic department/unit/institute has a Board of Studies (BOS) chaired by the head of the respective department/unit/institute. The Dean is assisted by and Additional Registrar for academic matters and Deputy Controller of Examinations for examination issues.
- "Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Agricultural University". Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Agricultural University. Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- BSMRAU Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Agricultural University
- Handbook For Undergraduate Students, Published By BSMRAU in March 2008;Page:01
-  "BSMRAU Ranking among Bangladeshi Universities"
- "Agri-varsities to begin 'cluster system' admission test". Daily Sun.
- "Unified admission test in 7 agricultural universities". New Age.
- "UGC to hold uniform admission test for 7 universities". Dhaka Tribune.
- "Academy Gold Medal Award". Bangladesh Academy of Sciences. Retrieved 17 November 2015.
- "Tofazzal Islam to get BAS gold medal & award". Dhaka Tribune. 19 January 2014. Retrieved 17 November 2015.