Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Agricultural University
বঙ্গবন্ধু শেখ মুজিবুর রহমান কৃষি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়
|Institute of Post-Graduate Studies in Agriculture (IPSA)|
জ্ঞান, দক্ষতা, প্রযুক্তি, সমৃদ্ধি (Bengali)
Motto in English
|Knowledge, Skill, Technology, Enrichment|
|Established||22 November 1998|
|Chancellor||President Abdul Hamid|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Dr. Md. Giashuddin Miah|
|Dean||Prof. Dr. Md. Abul Hossain Molla (Faculty of Graduate Studies), Prof. Dr. M Moynul Haque (Faculty of Agriculture), Prof. Dr. Abu Sadeque Md. Selim (Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science), Prof. Dr. A.K.M. Azad Shah (Faculty of Fisheries), Prof. Dr. M. Kamruzzaman (Faculty of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development)|
Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Agricultural University (BSMRAU) (Bengali: বঙ্গবন্ধু শেখ মুজিবুর রহমান কৃষি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয় (বশেমুরকৃবি)) is a public agricultural university in Bangladesh, established in 1998. It is located at South Salna, in Gazipur District. It is 9.5 kilometres (5.9 mi) from Gazipur Chowrasta, just east of the Dhaka-Mymensingh Highway.
- 1 History
- 2 Campus
- 3 Academics
- 4 Faculties and Departments
- 5 Library
- 6 Students dormitories
- 7 Admission
- 8 Notable people
- 9 See also
- 10 References
- 11 External links
BSMRAU was established on 22 November 1998. Previously, it was established as Institute of Post Graduate Studies in Agriculture (IPSA). In 1983, IPSA was originally established as the Bangladesh College of Agricultural Sciences (BCAS). It was an academic part of Bangladesh Agricultural Research Institute (BARI) and associated academically with Bangladesh Agricultural University. IPSA was transformed in an autonomous institution by the government of Bangladesh and started course credit based MS and PhD programs in 1991. The graduate program of IPSA was developed by the teachers of IPSA led by L. M. Eisgruver of Oregon State University (OSU).
In 1998, IPSA transformed into BSMRAU. As a public university it continued the post graduate program and launched an undergraduate program. In 2005, BSMRAU started to offer Bachelor of Science degree in Agriculture [BS (Agriculture)].
In 2008, BSMRAU established its Faculty of Fisheries and started to offer a BS degree in Fisheries. The Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Sciences was established in 2009 and started to offer the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) degree. After 3 years, in 2012, BSMRAU established the Faculty of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development and started offering a BS in Agricultural Economics. Now, BSMRAU has five faculties.
BSMRAU is situated in Salna of Gazipur city corporation on the Dhaka-Mymensingh highway, 15 kilometres (9.3 mi) from Gazipur district headquarters, 9.5 kilometres (5.9 mi) from Joydebpur Chourasta, 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) from Security Printing Press and Ordinance Factory, and 40 kilometres (25 mi) from away from Dhaka city. The campus covers an area of 190 acres (77 ha) land including about 50 acres (20 ha) of well-developed experimental farm area. Located in a rural setting in between Joydebpur Chowrasta and National Park of Rajendrapur, surrounded by the Sal forest of the Madhupur Tract and characterized by the topographical diversity with undulated land.
The university have a regular bus service from campus to Dhaka(Farmgate) twice a day including Friday also. And campus to Joydepur in nears to 2 hours interval  According to BSMRAU, it offers a unique, calm and quiet campus; most suitable for academic pursuit.
- Administrative Building
- 5 Faculty Buildings (1 under construction)
- 4 Students Dormitory (2 for Male and 2 for Female students)
- Residential Facilities for Teachers, Officers and Employees
- Kbd. Dr. Kazi M. Badruddoza Outreach Center
- Dr. M. Wazed Mia Central Laboratory
- Prof. Dr. Yoshio Yamada Library and AV Room
- Ex-situ Gene Bank/ Eco Park
- Central Mosque
- Begum Sufiya Kamal Auditorium (Accommodation of Around 1,000 seats)
- Conference Room
- Modern TSC
- Research Field
- Lake View Study Park
- Health Center
- Shaheed Minar (Monument)
- Sports Ground
- Guest House
- Sonali Bank Branch and DBBL Fast Track with ATM Booth
- BSMRAU School
- Nursery/Children Park
- BECS Supershop
- Ansar Camp
Faculty building of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development and a Veterinary Clinic is in under construction. There are also some proposed infrastructures including Students dormitory, international complex etc. For these to be accomplished govt. has to allot the university more lands which are still under the authority of Forest Department.
English is the medium of instruction at BSMRAU. The study at BSMRAU comprises Term based Course Credit System, which the students can understand going through the following points thoroughly:
- The Course Credit System: The course credit system involves course work with regular classes, assignments, unannounced quizzes, and pre-scheduled 2 midterms and final examinations. In this system, subject matter is taught in modules (courses) of reasonably homogenous subject matter, The students will receive “Grades” for each of the courses taken to indicate the extent of his/her mastery of the subject matter taught in each respective course.
- Term: An academic year is divided into three terms – Summer, Autumn and Winter. Each term consists of 12 (twelve) effective weeks.
- Credit: One class hour in a week during a term shall be considered as one credit. For laboratory classes, two class hours shall be considered as one credit.
- Course: A course is a set of topics delivered to the students by lectures, contact hours and practical exercises on a specific subject incorporated in the approved curricular layout and developed by Board of Studies (BOS) to offer in a term.
- Course Coding: Each course is designated by 3 (three) capital letters and a 3-digit number. The 3 letters indicate the department offering the course. Of the three digits, the first digit indicates academic year in which the course is normally offered. The next two digits indicate the offering term, where 01-30 stand for First term, 31-60 for Second term and 61-99 for Third term.
A student will have to complete a total of 54 courses of 240 credits for BS(Agriculture) degree and 69 courses of 283.5 credits for DVM degree.
Faculties and Departments
Faculty of Postgraduate Studies
Departments offering MS degree
Departments offering PhD degree
|1.||Agricultural Economics||1.||Agricultural Economics|
|2.||Agricultural Extension and Rural Development||2.||Agricultural Extension and Rural Development|
|3.||Agroforestry and Environment||3.||Agroforestry and Environment|
|7.||Animal Science and Nutrition||7.||Entomology|
|8.||Aquaculture||8.||Genetics and Plant Breeding|
|10.||Crop Botany||10.||Plant Pathology|
|11.||Dairy and Poultry Science||11.||Soil Science|
|12.||Environmental Science||12.||Seed Science and Technology (Unit)|
|14.||Fisheries Biology & Aquatic Environment||
|15.||Fisheries Technology||1.||Computer Science & Information Technology|
|17.||Genetics & Fish Breeding|
|18.||Gynecology, Obstetrics & Reproductive Health|
|19.||Genetics and Plant Breeding|
|24.||Seed Science and Technology (Unit)|
Faculty of Agriculture
- Agricultural Extension and Rural Development
- Agroforestry and Environment
- Agricultural Engineering
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Environmental Science
- Computer Science and Information Technology( CSIT )
- Crop Botany
- Genetics and Plant Breeding
- Plant Pathology
- Soil Science
- Seed Science and Technology Unit
Faculty of Fisheries
- Department of Aquaculture
- Fisheries Biology and Aquatic Environment
- Fisheries Management
- Fisheries Technology
- Genetics and Fish Breeding
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science
- Department of Anatomy & Histology
- Department of Animal Breeding & Genetics
- Department of Animal Science & Nutrition
- Department of Dairy & Poultry Science
- Department of Gynecology, Obstetrics & Reproductive Health
- Department of Medicine
- Department of Microbiology & Public Health
- Department of Pathobiology
- Department of Physiology & Pharmacology
- Department of Surgery & Radiology
Faculty of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development
- Department of Agricultural Economics
- Department of Agribusiness
- Department of Agricultural Finance & Cooperatives
- Department of Rural Development
- Department of Statistics
The library of BSMRAU is named as Prof. Dr. Yoshio Yamada Library. It has a separate two-storied building having 14,418 squire feet spaces. It was primarily established for postgraduate programs. However, with the inception of undergraduate programs, efforts are underway to equip the library with all necessary reference text books with multiple copies for all courses of undergraduate programs. It has a collection of around 21,800 books and more than 65,000 e-journals. The library is also regularly supplied with the journals, periodicals, bulletins, daily newspaper, magazines etc. The library is air conditioned with adequate sitting and reading facilities and an Audio-visual Room. Except on Govt. holidays,library opens at 9:00 AM and closes at 8:00 PM without any interval through Sunday to Thursday and on Saturday Library opens at 9:00 AM and closes at 5:00 PM, Friday is weekly holiday.
Admission in undergraduate program in BSMRAU is competitive. To be eligible to apply to BS (Agriculture), BS (Fisheries), BS (Agricultural Economics) and DVM program the candidate must have passed the SSC (Secondary School Certificate) and HSC (Higher Secondary Certificate) examinations or equivalent examinations in the "Science group" from a recognised Board or Institution. The acceptable GPA is minimum 3.50 in SSC and HSC exams respectively and total GPA is minimum 7.50. The candidate must have the B grade in physics, chemistry, mathematics, biology and English in the HSC exam.
As of the admission test circular for 2017-18 the undergraduate courses as offered by four faculties of BSMRAU will be as follows:
- Faculty of Agriculture: 110
- Faculty of Fisheries: 60
- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Sciences: 60
- Faculty of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development: 100
Including all freedom fighter and other quotas, the total number of seats is 330.
Biotechnology professor Md. Tofazzal Islam won the Bangladesh Academy of Sciences Gold Medal 2011. Founder and Chairman of BD Wildlifers, Prof. Dr. A N M Aminoor Rahman was the former dean of FVMAS. Dr G M Monirul Alamis the recipient of the prestigious Bangladesh University Grants Commission (UGC) ‘Gold Medal’ 2016 for his outstanding research accomplishment in the area of Economics and Social Science. Mr Alam is an Associate Professor and acting as a Head of the department of Agribusiness of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Agricultural University (BSMRAU), Gazipur. He is also serving as an Adjunct Research Fellow at University of Southern Queensland (USQ), Australia. He is contributing on the editorial board of couple of scholarly journals and an active member of various professional societies and voluntary organizations. http://epaper.observerbd.com/2018/09/15/ Page # 13 http://www.bhorerkagoj.com/epaper/2018/09/16/index.php Page # 04
- "Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Agricultural University". www.bsmrau.edu.bd. Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- BSMRAU Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Agricultural University
- Handbook For Undergraduate Students, Published By BSMRAU in March 2008;Page:01
- "AERD BSMRAU – Insignia Studio". insignia3d.com. Retrieved 17 February 2018.
- Admission Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Agricultural University[dead link]
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 1 October 2017. Retrieved 1 October 2017.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Academy Gold Medal Award". Bangladesh Academy of Sciences. Retrieved 17 November 2015.
- "Tofazzal Islam to get BAS gold medal & award". Dhaka Tribune. 19 January 2014. Retrieved 17 November 2015.