Bangalore City railway station
|Express train, Passenger train, Commuter rail and Goods railway station|
Station main entrance
|Location||Railway Station Road, Gubbi Cross, Bangalore, Karnataka
|Elevation||896.920 metres (2,942.65 ft)|
|Owned by||Government of India|
|Operated by||Indian Railways|
|Line(s)||Triple Electric Line|
|Connections||Kempegowda Bus Station
Namma Metro Purple Line
|Zone(s)||South Western Railway zone|
|Previous names||Bangalore City railway station|
It is located across the Kempegowda Bus Station. The station has 10 platforms and two entrances.
Platforms 1 to 7 connect to the Chennai and Salem railway lines. On platforms 8 to 10, service trains arrive via Yeshwantpur from Hubballi-Dharwad. Platforms 1 to 4 terminate at Bangalore. On platforms 5 to 10, service trains depart towards Mysuru. There are railway lines between Platforms 4 and 5 that are used as the railway yard. There are 5 railway lines passing from Bangalore City railway station - to Hyderabad via Guntakal, Chennai via Krishnarajapuram, Salem via Hosur, Mysuru, Hubballi-Dharwad via Tumkur, Birur. The Bangalore-Chennai railway line via Bangalore Cantonment, Bangarpet, is fully electrified and open for traffic. The Bangalore- Mysore line is yet to be electrified since the doubling work at SriRanga Pattana is going on.
The station handles 88 trains a day, including 63 express trains, and is used by 220,000 commuters every day.
The railway station is served by City Railway Station metro station on the Namma Metro's Purple Line, which opened on 30 April 2016. Later that year, the Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation Limited (BMRCL) decided to construct a foot-over-bridge from the metro station until the boundary of the railway station, while the South Western Railway, would complete the rest of the work. The foot-over-bridge is expected to open in June 2017.
The railway station is also served by Kempegowda Bus Station.
- "Bangalore still on waitlist for better rail facilities". The Hindu. 2013-03-05. Retrieved 2016-03-27.
- "South Central Railway Press Release". South Central Railway zone. 3 February 2016. Retrieved 13 October 2016.
- "Bengaluru still on waitlist for better rail facilities". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 5 March 2013. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- Reporter, Staff. "Wait for FOB to City Railway Station gets longer". The Hindu. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- Reporter, Staff. "Wait for metro-city railway station bridge gets longer". The Hindu. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bangalore City railway station.|
- Bangalore City railway station at the India Rail Info