Bangalore Institute of Technology
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (July 2012)|
|Motto||Technology For Prosperity|
|Principal||Dr. A G Natraj|
|Location||Bangalore, Karnataka, India
|Affiliations||Affiliated to Visvesvaraya Technological University|
|Website||BIT Home Page|
Bangalore Institute of Technology is an engineering college offering undergraduate and graduate engineering courses, affiliated to the Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum located in the heart of Bangalore, the "Electronic City" and Silicon Valley of India. The institution came into being in August, 1979 under the auspices of Vokkaligara Sangha, Bangalore.
BIT is currently placed as the best college affiliated to VTU. The institute initially offered the Bachelor of Engineering degrees in Computer Science, Electronics, Telecommunication, Instrumentation Technology, Electrical, Civil and Mechanical, Information Science and Engineering, Industrial Engineering and Management. Bangalore Institute of Technology was the first institute to introduce a full-fledged Computer Science and Engineering course in Karnataka. It is recognized by the AICTE and has been accredited by NBA. At present BIT offers ten undergraduate, three post graduate and a PhD course(s) with a student body of more than 2500.
There are a number of centres carrying out inter-disciplinary research and many collaborative programmes exist between the college and other institutions such as the Institute of Science (IISc) and National Aerospace Laboratories (N.A.L.). The college is also a program centre for Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU). Teaching and research work is supported by facilities such as a central library with 50000 volumes of text books and reference books and an Industrial Consultancy and Research Center. The institute has an auditorium (1200 seating capacity), seminar hall, co-operative society, canteen, and cultural sections as well as hostels for boys and girls.
BIT Alumni have gone on to hold top positions in industry, government and academia and are spread throughout the world.
Notable among them is Bharath N. Padasale, PGP, IIM Ahmedabad
- BIT Bosch Team Stratos was formed in 2009 to participate in SAE BAJA India and thereafter have been successfully participating in the event continuously.
- Associated with Rotary Bangalore South-East club to form Rotaract club in the college to inculcate a sense of concern for the society.
- BIT's cultural team 'AIKYA' is an ensemble of dance, music and drama.
- BIT's literary club "ELEVATE" encourages students to take part in literary events such as debate, creative writing and also conducts social awareness programs like clean drives and bikers clubs etc.
- Manthan is the annual techno-cultural festival of BIT.
- The official Quiz club of BIT is called Crossfire Quizzing (CFQ for short ). Its cofounders are Nanjundeshwara Nanjappa , Rajath Shetty , Avaneesh Sreenivasan, Ashwin Kumar , Poorna Mohan and Tushar K.
- BIT Home Page
|This article about a university or college in Karnataka, India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|