Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation
|Parent||Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation|
|Commenced operation||August 15, 1997|
|Headquarters||Central Office, Kengal Hanumanthaiah Road, Shanthinagara, Bengaluru|
|Service area||Bengaluru Metropolitan Region (40 km radius from Central Bengaluru) and one Vajra service to the town of Chikkaballapura.|
|Alliance||All Karnataka's Road Transport Corporations|
|Stations||Minor Bus Stations
Travel and Transit Management Centers (TTMCs)
|Lounge||A/C lounge available in major bus stations and TTMCs|
|Daily ridership||4,910,000 (November 27, 2017)|
|Operator||Government of Karnataka|
|Chief executive||Smt. G. Sathyavathi, IAS (Managing Director)|
|Sri. N. S. Nandeesha Reddy|
|Website||BMTC Main Website|
Namma BMTC Android App for Realtime bus tracking
Namma BMTC iOS App for Realtime bus tracking
TUMMOC Android App for ticketing and buying pass
TUMMOC iOS App for ticketing and buying pass
Bengaluru Darshini Reservation
Bengaluru Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC) is a state-owned public road transport corporation in the Indian city of Bengaluru. It is wholly owned by the Government of Karnataka. It serves the Bengaluru Metropolitan Region.
Mysore Government Road Transport Department was inaugurated on 12 September 1948 with 120 buses. The transport department of The Mysore state administrated it until 1961.
It was subsequently converted into an independent corporation under Section 3 of the Road Transport Corporation Act, 1950 on 1 August 1961, In 1961, after successfully converting into an independent corporation all assets and liabilities of MGRTD were transferred to Mysore State Road Transport Corporation.
On 1 October 1961, Bangalore Transport Service was merged with it.
On 1 November 1973, the Mysore state was renamed as Karnataka thus, renaming it Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation.
- On 15 August 1997, Bengaluru Metropolitan Transport Corporation (then Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation) was bifurcated to cater to the transportation needs of Bengaluru Metropolitan Region. It was formed by separating the Bangalore Transport Service.
- on 1 November 1997, North Western Karnataka Road Transport Corporation was bifurcated to cater to the transportation needs of Northwestern parts of Karnataka.
- On 15 August 2000, Kalyana Karnataka Road Transport Corporation (then North Eastern Karnataka Road Transport Corporation) was bifurcated to cater to the transportation needs of Northeastern parts of Karnataka.
This left the corporation to serve the Southern part of Karnataka.
- On 23 November 2009, Vijayapura division was transferred from NWKRTC to KKRTC.
- On 1 November 2014, It changed to the present name Bengaluru Metropolitain Transport Corporation along with other organizations in the city.
- Bengaluru Sarige: It is a non-AC bus service built on Ashok Leyland, Tata and Eicher urban chassis with a dark blue-white livery for BSIV and light blue-white livery or turquoise-white livery for BSVI connecting all parts of the Metropolitan region.
- Samparka: It is a mini non-AC bus service built on Ashok Leyland and Tata mini urban chassis with an orange livery connecting neighbourhoods to the nearby bus station. Usually covering shorter distances.
- Astra: It is a non-AC electric bus service with a turquoise livery for JBM brand buses and violet-white for Ashok Leyland's Switch brand buses.
- Vajra: It is an AC bus service built on Volvo urban chassis with a light blue livery running on important routes serving the tech parks, industrial areas, major bus stations and major residential areas.
- Vayu Vajra: It is an AC bus service built on Volvo urban chassis with a light blue livery connecting 23 routes in the Metropolitan region to Bengaluru's Kempegowda International Airport. Free Wi-Fi access is provided to the commuters on these buses.
- Bengaluru Darshini: It is an AC bus service with a special livery of pencil sketch depiction of important sites in Bengaluru on a white background. This service was introduced for sightseeing in Bengaluru. It covered routes connecting about twenty landmarks of great historic, religious and scientific significance.
- Parisara Vahini/Parisara Snehi: It is a non-AC bus service with a light blue-white, dark blue, blue-white or grey colour livery over time. Merged with Bengaluru Sarige.
- Suvarna: It is a non-AC bus service with a green or red livery, similar fare to Jana Sarige buses served important feeder routes. Merged with Bengaluru Sarige.
- Samartha/BIG Trunk: It is a non-AC bus service with a green livery used to serve trunk routes from downtown to the suburbs. Merged with Bengaluru Sarige.
- Nera Sarige/BIG 10: It is a non-AC bus service with a special green and bottle green livery plied on 12 major corridors towards the central business district. These buses are numbered with a G prefix. Merged with Bengaluru Sarige.
- Samvrutha/BIG Circle: It is a non-AC bus service with a special white BIG Circle livery. These buses use to ply on Bengaluru Inner Ring Road and Bengaluru Outer Ring Road. Buses are numbered with a C prefix or a K prefix. Merged with Bengaluru Sarige.
- Metro Feeder: It is a non-AC bus service with a pink-lined grey-white livery. Running as feeder services between stations of Namma Metro. Buses are numbered with a MF prefix. Merged with Bengaluru Sarige.
- Atal Sarige: It is a non-AC Low fare bus service with an Indian tri-colour livery. Currently defunct
- Pushpak Sarige/Janapriya Vahini: non-AC buses with a beige-white livery used to ply only with a driver who also issues ticket and has only one entrance and exit. Currently defunct.
- Marcopolo AC, UD AC and Corona AC: It is an AC low fare bus service with a white or light blue livery plied on select routes. Currently defunct
- Nimbus: It is a non-AC bus service with a green livery for BSIV, light blue-white livery for BSVI and AC buses with a light blue livery. These buses ply on special bus rapid transit lanes. The only service between Central Silk Board Junction and Krishnarajapura was temporarily withdrawn and converted to Bengaluru Sarige service as the bus lane had to be closed down due to a decrease in width of Bengaluru Outer Ring Road for the construction of Namma Metro's blue line.
Note: The Parisara Vahini/Parisara Snehi, Suvarna Sarige, Samartha Sarige/BIG Trunk, Nera Sarige/BIG 10, Samvrutha Sarige/BIG Circle, Metro Feeder and Nimbus still retain the same numbering and function in spite of a change in branding.
List of Depots
|Adult (₹)||Child (₹) Age: 6–12 years old||Senior Citizen (₹) Age: Above 60 years old|
|Note: 26 and above stages ₹ 30/-only|
Non-AC/Ordinary Night Services
|Adult (₹)||Child (₹) Age: 6–12 years old||Senior Citizen (₹) Age: Above 60 years old|
|Note: 26 and above stages ₹ 45/-only|
Vajra AC Services
|Adult (₹)||Child (₹) Age: 6–12 years old||Senior Citizen (₹) Age: Above 60 years old|
|Note: 30 and above stages ₹ 60/-only|
Vayu Vajra AC Services
|Note: 25 and above stages ₹ 150/-only|
Common Pass Facilities
|Sl. No.||Pass Category||Pass Features||Rate||GST||Total|
|Day Pass (Any Photo ID) These passes are issued by Duty conductors.|
|1||Ordinary Day Pass||It allows the holder limitless travel in BMTC operation limit through out a calendar day (0000 hrs to 2400 rs) in all non-AC services (in all toll roads by paying toll fee .||70||0||70|
|2||Vajra Gold Day Pass||It allows the holder limitless travel in BMTC operation limit throughout a calendar day (0000 hrs to 2400 hrs) in all services of BMTC (in all toll roads by paying toll fee) except Vayu vajra & Bangalore Rounds.||140||7||147|
|Day Pass (Any Photo ID)|
|1||Ordinary Weekly Pass||It allows the holder limitless travel in BMTC operation limit through out 7 days in all non-AC services (in all toll roads by paying toll fee).||300||0||300|
|Monthly Pass (BMTC ID)|
|These passes are issued through BMTC bus stand counters, Franchisee counters, 86 Bengaluru one centres and with BMTC bus Conductors.|
|BMTC ID Card||Carrying of BMTC ID Cards is a must for validating BMTC Monthly passes.||100||0||100|
|1||Ordinary Service Monthly Pass||Unlimited travel in all Non-AC services of BMTC for a calendar month (in all toll roads by paying toll fee)||1050||0||1050|
|2||Senior Citizen Ordinary Service Monthly Pass||Concessional commuter pass facility especially extended by BMTC to citizens aged 60 years and above. Offers 10% rebate. Unlimited travel in all non-AC services (in all toll roads by paying toll fee) of BMTC for a calendar month.||945||0||945|
|3||Nice Road Monthly Pass||Unlimited travel in all Non-AC services of BMTC for a calendar month (in all toll roads by paying toll fee except Nice Road toll)||1900||0||1900|
|4||Vajra Gold Monthly Pass (Any Photo ID)||Unlimited travel in all services (in all toll roads by paying toll fee) except Vayu Vajra, Bengaluru Rounds Services & Special Services.||2250||113||2363|
|5||Nice Road Vajra Monthly Pass||Unlimited travel in all services except Vayu Vajra, Bengaluru Rounds & Special services (in all toll roads by paying toll fee Except Nice Road Toll)||3000||150||3150|
|6||Vajra Student Pass||Unlimited travel in all services (in all toll roads by paying toll fee) except Vayu vajra, Bangalore Rounds & Special services.||1500||75||1575|
|7||Vayu Vajra Gold Pass||Unlimited travel in all services of BMTC. (in all toll roads by paying toll fee except Navayuga Toll Fee) except Bangalore Rounds & Special services.||3000||150 + 420 (Toll Fee)||3570|
|Monthly Dedicated Pass (BMTC ID)|
|10||Pushpak Dedicated Premium Pass.
(08.00-14.00) (13.00 -19.00) (Monday to Friday)
|Unlimited travel facility in all BMTC Non-AC services and Particular Pushpak Dedicated Premium services.((in all toll roads by paying toll fee)||1200||0||1200|
|11||Pushpak Dedicated Premium Pass.||Unlimited travel facility in all BMTC Non-AC services and Particular Pushpak Dedicated Premium services.((in all toll roads by paying toll fee)||2100||0||2100|
|15||Midi Dedicated Premium Pass||Unlimited travel facility in all BMTC Non-AC services and Particular Pushpak Dedicated Premium services.((in all toll roads by paying toll fee)||2300||0||2300|
|19||Pushpak Dedicated Vajra Gold Pass Plus Pass||Travel facility in Pushpak Dedicated Premium services in office trips and during holidays and non office trips, these pass holders can travel in all BMTC services (in all toll roads by paying toll fee) except Vayu Vajra, Bangalore Rounds & Special service. Rates depend on number of passes bought by the company||2600||0||2600|
|22||Vajra Dedicated Premium Pass||Travel facility in Vajra Dedicated Premium services in office trips and during holidays and non office trips, these pass holders can travel in all BMTC services except Vayu Vajra, Bangalore Rounds & Special service.(in all toll roads by paying toll fee)||3400||0||3400|
|24-hours Insurance coverage: Every valid ordinary monthly commuter pass holder, provided with insurance cover to the tune of Rs.2 lakh if they are involved in an vehicular accident, resulting in loss of life or total incapacitation anytime/anywhere during the validity of the pass.|
|Medical Reimbursement: Every Valid Monthly commuter pass holder, provided with a medical reimbursement facility up to a maximum of Rs.30,000.00 towards in-patient medical expenses, in case of injury from vehicular accidents. The payment will be made to the commuter on production of the necessary bills/vouchers, after due verification.|
|Vajra and Vayu Vajra Pass: Automatic accident Insurance coverage to the tune of Rs.5 lakh for Vajra passes and Rs.10 lakhs for Vayu Vajra passes in case of death or permanent incapacitation resulting from any vehicular accident.|
|Medical Reimbursement: Medical Reimbursement up to a maximum of Rs.50,000.00 in case of vehicular accidental injuries necessitating in-patient treatment.|
Special Pass Facilities
- Sahayahasta Pass - Bengaluru Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC) through its "Helping Hand" / "Sahayahasta" program in coordination with Karnataka Building And Other Construction Workers Welfare Board is issuing free BMTC bus pass for workers who have a valid registration with the welfare board. Documents needed -
- Carry Karnataka building and construction workers welfare board registration original copy and a photo copy, residing within BBMP limits.
- Aadhaar Card Copy
- 2 Stamp size photos
- Students Pass - Bengaluru Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC) provides concessional passes to students to commute between their place of residence and the institution of education at nominal rates. The Students need to apply for the pass using the BMTC online portal by submitting a scanned copy of the fee receipt along with an online form, the information is forwarded to the institution authority to be confirmed, on confirmation, the student has to book an appointment at the nearest Bengaluru One centre and visit it at selected date and time slot, where on payment the concerned person takes a picture of the student, to be printed on the pass and issues the pass mentioning the name of the student, Starting Bus Stop, Via, End Bus Stop and the validity period.
|Sl. No.||Pass Category||Pass Rate (₹)||Processing Fee (₹)||Total (₹)||Pass Validity|
|1||Primary Students||Free||200||200||June 2022 - March 2023|
|2||High School Girls Students||400||200||600|
|3||High School Boys Students||600||200||800|
|4||Pre-University College Students||900||200||1100|
|5||Pre-University Evening College Students||1480||200||1680|
|6||Degree & Professional course Students||1150||200||1350||July 2022 - June 2023|
|7||Technical & Medical Students||1680||200||1880||August 2022 - July 2023|
|8||Evening & PhD Students||1480||200||1680||July 2022 - June 2023|
|9||Above all classes Scheduled Caste/Scheduled Tribe students||Free||200||200||As per above classes|
National Common Mobility Card (NCMC)
BMTC unveiled a smart card for its bus services for the first time in June 2016. The company introduced smart cards on trial-basis on BMTC Bus No. 335 operating between Majestic and Kadugodi bus stations in March 2017. Apart from serving as an identification document, the smart cards can be used to purchase bus tickets and also swiped at point-of-sale (POS) enabled merchant establishments. The card costs ₹5 (6.3¢ US) and can be recharged for up to ₹10,000 (US$130). Recharges higher than ₹10,000 require the customer to provide identification. According to Axis Bank, the BMTC's partner in the project, the smart card is India's "first open loop EMV contactless smart card". The cards "open-loop" structure allows other agencies to integrate their smart card schemes by adopting the standards of the BMTC smart card. This scheme was finally dropped and integration with National Common Mobility Card (NCMC) is already under process. City's Namma Metro is already using NCMC and Bengaluru Suburban Railway will also be using it in future when the system is completed so therefore, one will be used to travel seamlessly across different transit modes in the city and its suburbs.
'Shakti Scheme' Free Bus Service for women
'Shakti Scheme' was announced by the Second Siddaramaiah ministry on 2 June 2023. It started on 11 June 2023, providing free-of-charge bus service to Karnataka domicile women. Beneficiaries show their government-issued photo identity and address proof for the first three months. Bus conductors issue them zero-fare tickets Thereafter, beneficiaries obtain Shakti smartcards (named after the name of the scheme) through an application process on the government's Seva Sindhu website.
Terms and conditions of the scheme
- The scheme will apply to all four Road Transport Corporations in the state (KSRTC, BMTC, NWKRTC and KKRTC).
- Nagara Sarige, Gramantara Sarige, Karnataka Sarige, Vayavya Nagara Sarige, Vayavya Gramantara Sarige, Vayavya Karnataka Sarige, Kalyana Nagara Sarige, Kalyana Gramantara Sarige, Kalyana Karnataka Sarige, Bengaluru Sarige, Samparka and Astra services will be part of the scheme.
- Women can travel for free only on bus services within the state. Bus services to destinations outside Karnataka will be outside the scheme's purview even if women travel within the state. For example, a woman travelling to Belagavi in Karnataka i.e., within the state on a Hubballi-Kolhapur bus service which is an interstate service to Kolhapur in neighboring Maharashtra, then the woman passenger will have to buy a ticket.
- The scheme will not apply to luxury buses (Rajahamsa Executive Class, Airavat Class, Airavat Club Class, Non-AC Sleeper Class, Ambaari Class, Ambaari Dream Class, Ambaari Utsav Class, Fly Bus, EV- Power Plus+, Bengaluru Darshini, Vajra and Vayu Vajra services).
- Half of the seats on KSRTC, NWKRTC and KKRTC's ordinary and express buses will be reserved for men. Luxury, AC and interstate buses as well as BMTC buses will be exempted from this.
- The government will reimburse the RTCs based on the distance women travel.
Introduced on 4 February 2010, Bus Day is an event calling all the citizens of Bengaluru to use public transport. The idea behind Bus Day is to observe the changes which can be brought in the city in trying to respect environment, traffic situation, health of individuals perception. The 4th of every month is observed as a "Bus Day".
Bus Priority Lane
BMTC along with BTP initiated the Bus Lanes between Central Silk Board Junction and Tin Factory Junction on Outer Ring Road branded as Nimbus. Bus lanes give priority to buses, cutting down on journey times where roads are congested with other traffic especially private cars and increasing the reliability of buses. The introduction of bus lanes can significantly assist in the reduction of air pollution due to individual cars and traffic pile up because of cars. Currently, the bus lane has been removed due to reduction in road width due to the ongoing work on Namma Metro's Blue Line on the median.
Intelligent Transport System
To benefit the commuters and promote the usage of public transportation, the BMTC launched its Intelligent Transport System (ITS) on 25 May 2016. Under this project, BMTC buses were equipped with GPS in a phased manner which would transmit the location of the bus to the ITS control room. A mobile app called Namma BMTC was launched on the android and iOS platform which was made available in two languages, English and Kannada. The app provides information about bus routes and bus stops. Real time location of buses on a particular route can also be tracked, which requires the users to switch on the GPS on their device. In 2017, BMTC would be introduced prepaid smart cards for commuting, which eliminated the need to pay the exact amount of change. Bus Passes can be availed on TUMMOC mobile app.
All Karnataka's Road Transport Corporations
- Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation: Operates out of Southern Karnataka.
- North Western Karnataka Road Transport Corporation: Operates out of Northwestern Karnataka except Vijayapura district.
- Kalyana Karnataka Road Transport Corporation: Operates out of Northeastern Karnataka and Vijayapura district.
- Bengaluru Metropolitan Transport Corporation: Operates in Bengaluru Metropolitan Region offering transit services.
- Bengaluru Metropolitan Land Transport Authority (BMLTA) Bill, 2022
- List of bus depots in Karnataka
- List of bus stations in Karnataka
- ^ a b c d "KSRTC Official Website for Online Bus Ticket Booking - KSRTC.in".
- ^ BMTC History, 14 May 2019
- ^ "BMTC at a glance". Mybmtc.com. 5 July 2014. Archived from the original on 12 September 2017. Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- ^ "KSRTC History". timesofindia.com. Retrieved 24 July 2016.
- ^ "Ksrtc history". www.ksrtc.in. Archived from the original on 17 March 2016. Retrieved 24 July 2016.
- ^ "About Us - Kalyana Karnataka Road Transport Corporation". kkrtc.karnataka.gov.in. Retrieved 4 October 2021.
- ^ Reporter, B. S. (1 November 2014). "Bangalore is now Bengaluru". Business Standard India. Retrieved 27 August 2022.
- ^ BMTC to run Mercedes Benz buses on trial basis
- ^ "CM flags off Atal Sarige for the poor". Express Buzz. 31 May 2009. Retrieved 8 June 2009.
- ^ "'Atal Sarige' launched in Bangalore". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 31 May 2009. p. 1. Archived from the original on 1 July 2009. Retrieved 8 June 2009.
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z aa ab ac ad ae af ag ah ai aj ak al am an ao ap aq ar as at au av aw "BMTC Depot Landline Nos".
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z aa ab ac ad ae af ag ah ai aj ak al am an ao ap aq ar as at au av aw "BMTC Officers List Landline Nos KN".
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z aa ab ac ad ae af ag ah ai aj ak al am an ao ap aq ar as at au av aw "BMTC Officers List Landline Nos EN".
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z aa ab ac ad ae af ag ah ai aj ak al am an ao ap aq ar as at au av aw "Bengaluru BMTC Depots Map with contact numbers | | OpenCity.in". Open City. 9 April 2018. Retrieved 25 April 2021.
- ^ a b c d "Non AC/Ordinary Services Fares". 1 May 2023.
- ^ "Get smart @ Rs 5". Bangalore Mirror. Retrieved 28 February 2017.
- ^ Staff Reporter (5 February 2017). "BMTC smart card by February 15". The Hindu. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- ^ "Bengaluru rolls out National Common Mobility Card". Moneycontrol. Retrieved 1 May 2023.
- ^ "BMTC commuters' wait for Mobility cards continues – The Softcopy". Retrieved 1 May 2023.
- ^ "Guidelines released for free travel bus scheme for women in Karnataka". Deccan Herald. 5 June 2023. Retrieved 5 June 2023.
- ^ "February 4th is 'Bus Day' in Bangalore". Bangalore Aviation. 1 February 2010. Retrieved 28 August 2010.
- ^ "Bangalore Bus Day- Feb 4th: Citizen Matters". Bangalore.citizenmatters.in. 4 February 2010. Archived from the original on 14 April 2010. Retrieved 28 August 2010.
- ^ Kumar, Pranav (20 October 2019). "Bus Priority Lane Operational in Bangalore". The Hindu.
- ^ "BMTC launches Intelligent Transport Solution". The Hindu. Retrieved 25 May 2016.
- ^ "BMTC to roll out smart cards in January". The Hindu. Retrieved 18 November 2016.