Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation
BMTC Vajra Volvo B7RLE
|Slogan||Moving you most economically
Bringing Bangalore to your doorstep
|Headquarters||Central Office, K H Road, Shanthinagar, Bangalore|
|Service area||Bangalore Urban|
|Service type||Local, limited-stop, express, and BRT bus service|
|Fleet||6,423 (September 2015)|
|Daily ridership||5,020,000 (September 2015)|
|Operator||Government of Karnataka|
Bengaluru Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC)(Kannada: ಬೃಹತ್ ಬೆಂಗಳೂರು ಮಹಾನಗರ ಸಾರಿಗೆ ಸಂಸ್ಥೆ) is a government agency that operates the public transport bus service in Bangalore, India. It has the highest number of Volvo buses operated by a public transport company in India.
Dr. Ekroop Caur, IAS, is the Managing Director of the BMTC from August 2014.
Types of services
The following are the special services apart from ordinary services run by BMTC:
- Suvarna: Similar fare to ordinary buses serving important feeder routes, painted in red or green/white scheme
- Pushpak: Single door buses with coffee coloring scheme
- BIG 10: Suvarna class buses with special green and bottle green livery plying on 12 major corridors towards the central commercial district. These buses are numbered with a G prefix.
- BIG Circle: Suvarna class buses with special white colored BIG Circle livery. These buses ply on inner and outer ring roads . Buses are numbered with a C prefix or a K prefix.
- Atal Sarige: Low fare buses painted with Indian tri-colour livery.
- Vajra: Air conditioned Volvo buses painted in red livery running on important routes serving the IT companies and major residential areas.
- Vayu Vajra: Green coloured Volvo buses operated in 12 routes connecting to Kempegowda International Airport. Free Wi-Fi access is provided to the commuters in these buses.
- Marcopolo AC and Corona AC: Air conditioned buses with lower fare than Vajra services plying on select routes.
- Metro Feeder: Special buses running on 10 routes as feeder network to the Metro stations
- Hop On Hop Off: This service was introduced for sightseeing in Bangalore. It covers a route connecting about twenty landmarks of great historic, religious and scientific significance.
Major bus stations
BMTC has 34 bus stations across the city and the 3 major bus stations are located at:
Introduced on 4 February 2010, Bus Day is an event calling all the citizens of Bangalore to use public transport. The idea behind Bus Day is to observe the changes which can be brought in the city in trying to respect environment, traffic situation, health of individuals perception. The 4th of every month is observed as a "Bus Day".
Intelligent Transport System
To benefit the commuters and promote the usage of public transportation, the BMTC launched its Intelligent Transport System (ITS) on 25 May 2016. Under this project, BMTC buses were equipped with GPS in a phased manner which would transmit the location of the bus to the ITS control room. A mobile app was launched on the android platform which was made available in two languages, English and Kannada. The app provides information about bus routes and bus stops. Real time location of buses on a particular route can also be tracked, which requires the users to switch on the GPS on their device. By early 2017, BMTC would be introducing prepaid smart cards for commuting, which would eliminate the need to pay the exact amount of change.
- "Kharola appointed BMRCL MD". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 10 August 2013.
- "BMTC at a glance". Mybmtc.com. 2014-07-05. Retrieved 2014-07-17.
- "Volvo's first city buses in India operating". Volvo Buses. 25 January 2006. Retrieved 23 June 2009.
- "Volvo to foray into city bus segment in India". Businessline. 9 January 2006. Archived from the original on 25 May 2006. Retrieved 23 June 2009.
- "Volvo intra-city buses to hit B'lore roads on Jan 17". The Financial Express. 11 January 2006. Retrieved 23 June 2009.
- "22 IAS, one IPS officer transferred". Deccan Herald. Retrieved 2016-02-28.
- "CM flags off Atal Sarige for the poor". Express Buzz. 31 May 2009. Retrieved 8 June 2009.
- "'Atal Sarige' launched in Bangalore". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 31 May 2009. p. 1. Retrieved 8 June 2009.
- BMTC to run Mercedes Benz buses on trial basis
- "Mercedes bus trial run over next month". Deccanherald.com. Retrieved 2014-07-17.
- "Apoorva Renewable Energy to make solar-electric buses for transport body". 8 June 2012.
- "BMTC Bus Stations". mybmtc.com. BMTC. Retrieved 16 July 2014.
- "February 4th is 'Bus Day' in Bangalore". Bangalore Aviation. 1 February 2010. Retrieved 28 August 2010.
- "Bangalore Bus Day- Feb 4th: Citizen Matters". Bangalore.citizenmatters.in. 4 February 2010. Retrieved 28 August 2010.
- "BMTC launches Intelligent Transport Solution". The Hundu. Retrieved 25 May 2016.
- "BMTC to roll out smart cards in January". The Hindu. Retrieved 18 November 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation.|