|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|District||North 24 Parganas|
|• Municipality Chairman||Shri. Shankar Adhaya|
|Elevation||7 m (23 ft)|
|• Rank||UA : 30th in West Bengal|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|ISO 3166 code||IN-WB|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Bangaon|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Bangaon Uttar|
Bangaon (Bengali: বনগাঁ) is a city and a municipality in North 24 Parganas district in the state of West Bengal, India. Bangaon is headquarters of Bangaon subdivision. Sankar Adhya is the present chairperson of the municipality.
Bangaon is located at  It has an average elevation of 7 metres (22 feet). It is the last station on the Sealdah-Bangaon section of Eastern Railway, 77 km from Sealdah Station. It is part of the Kolkata Suburban Railway system. The Sealdah – Bangaon railway was built between 1882 and 1884. Arsenic contamination is a major concern in this area..
In the 2011 census, Bangaon municipality had a population of 110,668, out of which 56,416 were males and 54,252 were females. The 0–6 years population was 8,452. Effective literacy rate for the 7+ population was 90.25 per cent.
As of 2001[update] India census, Bangaon had a population of 102,115. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Bangaon has an average literacy rate of 76%, higher than the national average of 59.5%; with 55% of the males and 45% of females literate. 10% of the population is under 6 years of age.
- Bongaon Municipality Retrieved 24 July 2012
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Bangaon
- Eastern Railway time table.
- Chaudhuri, Sukanta, The Railway Comes to Calcutta, in Calcutta, the Living City, Vol. I, edited by Sukanta Chaudhuri, p. 239, Oxford University Press, ISBN 978-0-19-563696-3.
- "Groundwater Arsenic contamination in West Bengal-India (19 years study )". Groundwater arsenic contamination status of North 24-Parganas district, one of the nine arsenic affected districts of West Bengal-India. SOES. Archived from the original on 27 September 2007. Retrieved 2007-08-24.
- "Urban Agglomerations/Cities having population 1 lakh and above" (PDF). Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-21.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- Dinabandhu Mahavidyalay History Retrieved 15 July 2012
- "Affiliated College of West Bengal State University". Retrieved 15 July 2012