|Traded as||SET: BBL|
|Founded||1 December 1944|
Number of locations
(09/2018) ~9,300 ATMs
|Chartsiri Sophonpanich (President)|
|Revenue||฿154.26 billion (2018)|
|฿35.32 billion (2018)|
|Total assets||฿3,116.75 billion (2018)|
Number of employees
|Subsidiaries||Bangkok Bank Berhad, Bangkok Bank (China), Bualuang Securities PLC, BBL Asset Management Company|
Bangkok Bank Public Company Limited (Thai: ธนาคารกรุงเทพ, RTGS: Thanakhan Krung Thep) is one of the largest commercial banks in Thailand. Its branch network includes over 1,165 branches, As of September 2018 within Thailand, with 32 international branches in 15 economies, including wholly owned subsidiaries in Indonesia, Malaysia and China. Bangkok Bank has branches in London and New York to complement its Southeast Asian network.
Bangkok Bank was established in 1944 and was listed on the Stock Exchange of Thailand in 1975.
One of Thailand's largest banks, Bangkok Bank has an extensive distribution channel network to serve a variety of customers. Services are provided through physical premises such as branches and business centers, digital banking such as internet banking ("Bualuang iBanking"), mobile banking (Bualuang mBanking), phone banking, 9,300 ATMs, 1,200 CDMs, and other self-service machines.:26
Bangkok Bank currently has the largest overseas branch network of any Thai bank with 32 international branches in 15 economies, including wholly owned subsidiaries in Malaysia and China. The international branch network is concentrated in Southeast Asia, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Japan; and the bank also has branches in London and New York. Bangkok Bank is the only Thai bank with a local bank in China with its head office in Shanghai and six branches. The China branches are in Shanghai, Beijing, Shenzhen, Chongqing, Xiamen, and the Shanghai Free Trade Zone. Bangkok Bank has 16 international branches in ASEAN countries which form the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC). Bangkok Bank is the only Thai bank to have a branch in Myanmar where its Yangon Branch opened on 2 June 2015.
As of April 2018[update] Bangkok Bank has 1,167 branches in its domestic network, including self-service outlets, covering all 77 provinces in Thailand. The branch network is one of the largest branch networks among Thai banks, second only in size to Krung Thai Bank. In 2018 the bank also had 117 business centers, 126 business desks and 68 trade finance centers.
Bangkok Bank has a full range of business, investment banking and personal banking services. It is one of the most active global traders of Thai baht and baht-denominated bonds. The bank trades in all major currencies as well as a large number of regional currencies. Other services include same day transactions in import and export bills, inward and outward remittances, swaps, options, and forward contracts trading in the primary and secondary markets for government bonds and corporate debentures.
The company's current president is Chartsiri Sophonpanich, the grandson of its founder and former president Chin Sophonpanich, and the son of former president Chatri Sophonpanich, who is the chairman of Bangkok Bank.
Bangkok Bank's SWIFT code is BKKBTHBK.
Presidents of Bangkok Bank since its founding are:
- Luang Roprukit, 1944–1952
- Chin Sophonpanich, 1952–1977
- Boonchu Rojanastien, 1977–1980
- Chatri Sophonpanich, 1980–1992
- Vichit Suraphongchai, 1992–1994
- Chartsiri Sophonpanich, 1994–present
Major shareholders as of 6 February 2020:
1. THAI NVDR COMPANY LIMITED, 29.70%
2. SOUTH EAST ASIA UK (TYPE C) NOMINEES LIMITED, 4.16%
3. SOCIAL SECURITY OFFICE, 3.15%
4. THAILAND SECURITIES DEPOSITORY, 2.29%
5. UOB KAY HIAN (HONG KONG) LIMITED - Client Account, 2.03%
Media related to Bangkok Bank at Wikimedia Commons
- Bangkok Bank (2011). 2010 Annual Registration Statement Form 56-1 (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 12 June 2011. Retrieved 17 November 2011.
- Stock Exchange of Thailand. "Company Profile". Retrieved 18 November 2011.
- "Bangkok Bank to open its 26th international network; Surabaya sub-branch, the bank's second branch in Indonesia". Bangkok Bank. 28 March 2012. Archived from the original (Press release) on 7 April 2012. Retrieved 20 April 2012.
- "Corporate Profile". www.bangkokbank.com. Retrieved 24 June 2016.
- Annual Report 2016 (PDF). Bangkok: Bangkok Bank Public Company Limited. 2017. Archived from the original (PDF) on 25 March 2017. Retrieved 24 March 2017.
- "Bangkok Bank opens Yangon branch, Myanmar to provide a full range of financial services". Bangkok Bank. Archived from the original on 16 August 2016. Retrieved 2 April 2016.
- Banchongduang, Somruedi (9 April 2018). "SCB to close 200 branches". Bangkok Post. Retrieved 14 April 2018.
- "FI_CB_060_S2 Number of All Branches of Commercial Banks". Bank of Thailand (BOT). Archived from the original on 24 March 2017. Retrieved 24 March 2017.
- Annual Report 2018 (PDF). Bangkok Bank Public Company Limited. Retrieved 27 July 2019.
- "A Tribute to a King" (PDF). Leaders Magazine. Bangkok. 29 (4): 137–138. October 2006. Archived (PDF) from the original on 29 December 2010. Retrieved 24 January 2011.
- "BBL: BANGKOK BANK PUBLIC COMPANY LIMITED". SET: The Stock Exchange of Thailand. Retrieved 24 March 2017.