Bangkok Patana School
|Bangkok Patana School|
|Type||Private, Mixed Day "British International School"|
|School colour(s)||Patana Montrachet Red, Patana Blue and Patana Grey. Black and orange for sports|
CIS and NEASC
Bangkok Patana School (Thai: โรงเรียนบางกอกพัฒนา) is a British International School located in Bang Na District, Bangkok, Thailand. Bangkok Patana School was founded in 1957 to provide a British-style education for the children of English-speaking expatriates and others living in Bangkok. A non-profit making Foundation, the school currently has an enrolment of over 2,290 students representing around 65 nationalities. Over 20% of the students are British and 80% of the teaching staff are recruited directly from the UK, or from British international schools.
It is Thailand's oldest British international school. As of 2010 it is also the largest British school in the country.
Students range from 18 months to 18 years of age and follow the English National Curriculum until they sit IGCSE examinations at 16. Senior Students take the International Baccalaureate Diploma or Certificate in Year 13 and go on to leading universities in the UK and throughout the world.
- Mr. Matthew Mills – Head of School
- Mrs. Clare Sharp – Primary Principal
- Mr. Michael Smith – Secondary Principal
- Mr. James Penstone – Cross-Campus Principal
- Mr. Andrew Gordon – Business Director
Board of Directors
- Dr. Tej Bunnag – Chairman of the Foundation Board
As of 2010 24% of the students are from British families and this is the largest group of students by nationality. The school restricts the percentage of Thai nationals in its student body to 20%.
The 19 hectare campus, situated in Bangna, includes classrooms and IT facilities, secondary and primary libraries, three swimming pools, an indoor sports centre, tennis courts and sports fields. The school is also home to an Arts Centre that offers facilities for students, teachers and the community.
Bangkok Patana School is accredited by the Council of International Schools (CIS), the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC) and is an IB World School.
Throughout the year, the school hosts events such as busking day (Primary only), bring and buy sales, bake sales, and concerts. Events that do not interrupt the school week include dance competitions, school plays, and secondary dances. The school also hosted the first TEDxYouth Event in South-East Asia, TEDxBangkokPatanaSchool. Often the music department hosts concerts pertaining to a particular style of music; these include the Patana Jazz and Blues, Patana Classic, Patana Plugged and Patana Unplugged, Summer Concerts, Christmas Concerts, etc.
The sports teams in the school compete under the name and mascot of tigers. Each sports teams use variations of the Tiger name, such as the tiger sharks for the swim team. The teams compete in tournaments such as BISAC, SEASAC and FOBISSEA even at the Varsity level in sports like basketball, football, volleyball, softball, swimming, badminton and athletics. Bangkok Patana School opened their new sports hall in 2007 (to commemorate their 50th anniversary), which was opened by HRH the Princess of Thailand. Bangkok Patana School along with other schools from around South-East Asia compete in the FOBISSEA tournament every year. They have a range of, U9, U11, U13, U15, Junior Varsity and Varsity.
- Alex Rendell – actor, singer
- Ananda Everingham – actor
- Joni Anwar – singer and actor
- Michele Waagaard – model, JAMP singer and VJ for MTV Thailand
- Nanin Indra-Payoong – Japanese Formula 3
- Patricia ML Lim – entrepreneur, founder and managing director of Privi Hotel Group and Igmart
- Praekarn Nirandara (Pieretta Dawn) – author
- Purnima Ruanglertbutr – Author, artist, editor, art curator
- Rowena Kennett – VJ for MTV Thailand
- Somtow Sucharitkul – Composer, conductor and author of "Vampire Junction"
- Tata Young – singer, actress and model.
- Urassaya Sperbund – actress
- Kirana Jasmine Chewter – model, the Face Thailand Season 2
- "Contact Us." Bangkok Patana School. Retrieved on 26 March 2013. "Postal Address : Bangkok Patana School, 643 La Salle Road (Sukhumvit 105), Bangna, Bangkok 10260, Thailand" – Thai: "โรงเรียนบางกอกพัฒนา 643 ถ.ลาซาล (สุขุมวิท 105) แขวง/เขต บางนา กรุงเทพฯ 10260" Map, Print map
- Mansell, Warwick. "Expat guide to Thailand: schools" (Archive). The Telegraph. 26 May 2010. Retrieved on 24 October 2015.
- "Bangkok Pattana School". Education Review Thailand. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- "Bangkok Patana School". International Baccalaureate. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- "Biography". ShoGun. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- Ali, Shoaib (1 July 2014). "Patricia Ml Lim (A Young Entrepreneur)". Go Articles. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- "Social media store launches in Bangkok". Inside Retail Asia. 24 November 2014. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- "Class of 2005". Bangkok Patana School. Retrieved 1 February 2015.