Bangkok Protestant Cemetery
A view of the Bangkok Protestant Cemetery looking east
|Type||For resident Protestant Christian foreigners of Thailand|
|No. of graves||1,800|
The Bangkok Protestant Cemetery is a cemetery catering mainly to the foreign community in Bangkok. To date, the cemetery has over 1800 interments (around 1100 names are legible on extant gravestones), and it is still accepting burials on a limited basis. The burial register is kept by Christ Church Bangkok (11 Convent Road).
There are also a number of Jewish graves here, since before 1997 there was no other place in the city for the small Jewish community to bury their dead. This changed with the opening of the Jewish Cemetery, in a separate property adjacent to this cemetery.
The cemetery is located on the banks of the Chao Phraya River just south of the Menam Riverside Hotel, and 1.75 km south of the Saphan Taksin BTS station along Charoen Krung Road. It is very close to the Asiatique night market.
Address: Soi 72/5, Charoen Krung Road, Bangkok
- Dan Beach Bradley - medical doctor and missionary
- John Taylor Jones - missionary
- Eliza Grew Jones - missionary and wife of J. T. Jones
- William Henry Adelbert Feilding - general of the Coldstream Guards
- Sir John Bush, Admiral - Harbour Master
- Henry Alabaster - advisor to the King of Siam
- John Fennell Belbin, Captain of the SS Bangkok, who died at his post, 1876-08-28, aged 34
- Albert Jucker, Consul of Italy, (1844-08-26 - 1885-12-03)
- Hamilton King, Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary of the United States of America, (born St Johns, Newfoundland 1852-06-04; d. Bangkok 1912-09-12)
- Caroline Isabella Knox Leonowens - daughter-in-law of Anna Leonowens of The King and I fame.
- Sungkas Thongborisute M.D. FACS (1932-10-09 - 1999-06-29) - founder of the Paolo Memorial Hospital
- Brian Charles Dade, Able Seaman, British Royal Navy, Service Number DJ 952629, of HMS London, died 1965-03-06 aged 25
- Friedrich Schaefer, M.D., founder of and surgeon at King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital, who died from an infection acquired when operating 1914-05-15
- Hans Herzfeld, banker and chief accountant with the Bombay Burma Trading Corporation, who died on 9 May 1950 aged 57.
- Corfield, Justin J., Bangkok: The Protestant Cemetery & Notes on Other Cemeteries in Thailand. Putney: British Association for Cemeteries in South Asia (BACSA), 1997
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bangkok Protestant Cemetery.|