Bangladesh supported the Vietnamese people and Bangladesh had established ties on 11 February 1973 with the Provisional Revolutionary Government of the Republic of South Vietnam and protests were held in support of Vietnam. Bangladesh was the second Asian country and the first South Asian to do so. Prime Minister Khaleda Zia was the first Bangladeshi head of government to visit Vietnam in May 2004. In 2013 the two nations celebrated the 40th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic ties. Bangladesh and Vietnam have embassies in each other's countries. Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina visited Vietnam in 2012 to promote ties. The President of Bangladesh, Abdul Hamid, went on a state visit of Vietnam in November 2015. He was received by Vietnamese President Truong Tan Sang.
Bangladesh is a major importer of cement from Vietnam. In 2016 Bangladesh imported cement worth 141 million dollar from Vietnam. Vinamilk of Vietnam partnered with Bigbiz in Bangladesh, to sell its products in Bangladesh in January 2017. In 2013-2014 period Bangladesh exported 55.95 million dollar worth of goods to Vietnam and imported goods worth 582.24 million dollar. The export earnings of Bangladesh from Vietnam amounted to $53.47 million in FY 2018-19. During the period, Top 10 exporting products covering 54.81 per cent of the exports were fresh, chilled, frozen, salted Guts, Bladders and Stomachs of animals; Leather of animals without hair; Single Yarn of Jute or of other Textile based Fibers; Sacks and Bags of Jute; Slag, Dross, etc. from the manufacture of Iron or Steel; Sesame Seeds; Medicaments of Mixed or Unmixed Products; Raw Jute and T-Shirts, Vest of Cotton- knitted. In FY 2017-18, imports of Bangladesh from Vietnam reached $594.69 million. The Top 10 imported items by Bangladesh from Vietnam were Cement and Cement Clinkers; Rice; Telephone Sets and Cellular Phones; Pebbles, Stones and Gravel; Cotton Yarn other than Sewing Thread; Synthetic Filament Yarn; Leather further prepared after tanning or crusting; Structures and Parts of Structures; Woven Fabrics of Synthetic Filament Yarn; Natural Rubber and similar Natural Gums.
- "Bangladesh eager to build on historical relationship". vietnamnews.vn. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- "Anti-imperialism Solidarity Day to be observed on Jan 1". bdnews24.com. Retrieved 2017-02-19.
- "Vietnam Embassy in Bangladesh - Bilateral relations". vietnamembassy-bangladesh.org. Archived from the original on 2017-02-14. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- "Celebrating 40 years of Bangladesh-Vietnam relationship". The Daily Star. 4 June 2013. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- "BD, Vietnam to take bilateral trade to US $1,000mn by 2016". The Daily Sun. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- "Bangladesh, Vietnam agree to increase bilateral trade - National". News Bangladesh. Archived from the original on 14 February 2017. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- "Bangladesh, Viet Nam to boost trade 25%". vietnamnews.vn. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- "Vietnam cement exports drop to 14.7Mt in 2016". Global Cement. Retrieved 9 February 2017.
- "Vinamilk eyes strong growth in Bangladesh". english.vietnamnet.vn. Retrieved 9 February 2017.
- "Bangladesh, Vietnam eye $1 billion trade in 2016". bdnews24.com. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- Latifee, Enamul Hafiz. "Bangladesh and Vietnam: Towards a shared future". The Daily Observer (Volume 8, Issue 219). Observer Ltd. from Globe Printers. Retrieved 30 August 2019.