|This section requires expansion. (January 2014)|
High level visits
Former Bangladeshi president Ziaur Rahman became the first Bangladeshi head of state to visit Ankara. In 1986, the then Turkish prime minister, Turgut Ozal paid a visit to Bangladesh. Turkish President Suleyman Demirel joined Nelson Mandela and Yasser Arafat at the silver jubilee celebrations of Bangladesh's independence in 1997. In 1998, the two countries co-founded the Developing 8 Countries group. Turkish president Abdullah Gul paid an official visit to Dhaka in 2010. Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan paid a visit to Dhaka in 2010. Bangladeshi Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina paid an official visit to Ankara in 2012.
The Turkish blockbuster movie Fetih 1453 was released in the Bangladeshi cinema hall "Star Cineplex" on 3 March 2013. A Turkish food festival was held at Radisson Blu Water Garden in Dhaka in 2014.
Bangladesh and Turkey are among each others' key trading partners. The bilateral trade between the two countries is worth more than $1 billion. Bangladeshi export items to Turkey have been dominated by apparel products. Since 2012, Bangladesh and Turkey have been in talks to sign a free trade agreement, but signing of the agreement is halted due to the complications relating to Turkey's bid for accession to the European Union. The shipbuilding industry of Bangladesh has also been identified as a potential sector for Turkish investment.
Bangladesh and Turkey have signed a joint protocol on trade and investment in 2012. The Bangladesh-Turkey Joint Economic Commission has been holding biennial meetings to discuss the ways for increasing bilateral trade and investment.
- "Bangladesh-Turkey ties: a close look". New Age. 2012-04-13. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- Muhammad Zamir (2010-02-15). "Consolidating Bangladesh-Turkey relations". The Daily Star. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- "PM ERDOĞAN MEETS BANGLADESHI PM SHEIKH HASINA WAJID". TRT English. Retrieved 25 January 2014.
- Harun ur Rashid (2010-11-16). "A new horizon of cooperation". The Daily Star. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- Diplomatic Correspondent (2012-04-12). "PM reaches Turkey". The Daily Star. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- "Army gets new SP guns, Metis M-1 missiles". natunbarta.com. 2013-12-22. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- "Optimism for $10b Turkey-Bangla trade". The Bangladesh Chronicle. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- Hafez Ahmed (2012-04-14). "Dhaka, Ankara to sign FTA soon". The Financial Express. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- "Dhaka for FTA talks with Turkey". Dhaka Tribune. 2013-10-31. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- "Govt finalises draft framework of FTA with Turkey". New Age. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- "Marketing of Turkey-Bangladesh ties". New Age. 2012-04-25. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- Hafez Ahmed (2012-11-13). "Dhaka, Ankara to raise trade to $3bn by 2015". Daily Sun. Retrieved 2014-01-25.