বাংলাদেশ কৃষি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়
|East Pakistan Agricultural University (EPAU)|
|Motto||Knowledge, Efficiency, Moral Character|
|Type||Public agricultural university|
|Established||18 August 1961|
|Affiliation||University Grants Commission (UGC)|
|Chancellor||President Mohammed Shahabuddin|
|Vice-Chancellor||Emdadul Haque Chowdhury|
|Campus||Urban, 1,261 acres (5.10 km2)|
|Colours||Blue, Green and Gold|
Bangladesh Agricultural University (Bengali: বাংলাদেশ কৃষি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়, Bangladesh Krishi Bishshobiddalôe), abbreviated as BAU, was established in 1961. It is the first agricultural university and also the second largest public university of Bangladesh. This university is located in Mymensingh city. The university has 44 departments.
BAU was the second highest budgeted public university in Bangladesh for the year 2013–2014. It is ranked number one university of Bangladesh according to the webometrics university ranking 2017. BAU has been ranked 2nd in the Bangladesh in the Times higher education world university ranking 2022.
Bangladesh Agricultural University (BAU) is the second largest public university in Bangladesh. Its expansive campus, covering an area of 5.10 square kilometers (1.97 sq mi), is situated in rural surroundings, approximately 3 kilometers (1.9 mi) south of the district town of Mymensingh.
Nestled in the picturesque landscape, the campus comprises academic, administrative, and residential buildings, extensive farms, lush gardens, and a multitude of related facilities.
To the east of this remarkable campus, the mighty Brahmaputra River flows, adding to the natural beauty and significance of the university's location.
- Two administrative buildings
- Six faculty complexes
- Fifteen halls for students
- three-storied central library
- modern auditorium (Shilpacharya Zainul Abedin Auditorium, 2,000 seats)
- conference hall
- central laboratory
- Research field for every faculty
- sports complex
- healthcare centre (free care service for students, university staff and their families)
- project complex
- 657 units of residential facilities for teachers, officers and employees
- Botanical garden
- Fish museum & Biodiversity centre
- Agriculture museum
- GTI complex
- Computer lab & wifi zone
- Horticulture farm
- Agriculture university school & college
- Farmer auditorium
- Community centre
- Guest house
- Central mosque
- Bank & ATM booth
- KR market
Halls of residence (student dormitories)
- Isha Khan Hall ( First Hall of BAU)
- Shahjalal Hall
- Shaheed Shamsul Haque Hall
- Shaheed Nazmul Ahsan Hall
- Ashraful Haque Hall
- Shaheed Jamal Hossain Hall
- Hossain Shaheed Shuhrawardy Hall
- Fazlul Haque Hall
- Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Hall
- Sultana Razia Hall
- Taposhi Rabeya Hall
- Sheikh Fazilatunnesa Mujib hall
- Begum Rokeya Hall
- Roji Jamal Hall
- Sheikh Hasina Hall
Partial list of the vice-chancellors of the university:
List of Vice-Chancellors
- M Osman Ghani (2 September 1961 – 1963)
- S.D. Chaudhuri (1963–1973)
- Quazi Mohammad Fazlur Rahim (January 1971 – July 1971 and January 1972 – November 1973)
- Mosleh Uddin Ahmed Chowdhury (24 November 1973 – October 1980)
- AKM Aminul Haque (1980–1988)
- Kamaluddin Ahmad
- Mohammad Hossain (14 November 1996 – 5 February 2000)
- (18th) M Musharraf Hossain Mian (2006 – )
- Md. Akhtar Hossain ( – October 2008)
- MA Sattar Mandal (15 November 2008 –)
- (22nd) Rafiqul Haque (11 August 2011 – 8 April 2015)
- (23rd) Md. Ali Akbar (24 May 2015 – 23 May 2019)
- (24th) Lutful Hassan (30 May 2019 – 29 May 2023)
- (25th) Emdadul Haque Chowdhury (12 July 2023 – present)
Faculty and departments
There are 44 departments under 6 faculties and 3 institutions.
Faculty of Veterinary Science
Veterinary Science faculty is the leading faculty of the university which established in 1961. This faculty has gifted quality Veterinarian for the country and contributed to animal reproduction to enhance profitability in farm level. The graduates are working in reproduction & Production diversified field (Farm Animals, Pet Animals, Avian and wildlife) of livestock by applying knowledge of clinical science like Theriogenology, Obstetrics, clinical physiology, pathology. Veterinarians has huge scope in research organization, commercial breeder farms, agro-industries, milk and meat processing industries, private clinics. Along with these, Faculty of Veterinary Science is contributing on research for diseases, zoonoses, health improvements, livestock reproductive health and development. Besides, this faculty has huge contribution in poultry and dairy industry.
- Department of Anatomy and Histology
- Department of Physiology
- Department of Microbiology and Hygiene
- Department of Pharmacology
- Department of Parasitology
- Department of Pathology
- Department of Medicine
- Department of Surgery and Obstetrics
Degree offered by the faculty-
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM)
- Master's of Science.
Faculty of Agriculture
The Faculty of Agriculture was established in 1961. It has the following departments:
- Department of Agronomy
- Department of Soil Science
- Department of Entomology
- Department of Horticulture
- Department of Plant Pathology
- Department of Crop Botany
- Department of Genetics and Plant Breeding
- Department of Agricultural Extension Education
- Department of Agricultural Chemistry
- Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Department of Physics
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Languages
- Department of Agroforestry
- Department of Biotechnology
- Department of Environmental Science
- Department of Seed Science and Technology
- Department of Food Safety and management
- Departments of Agrometeorology
- Currently the faculty of Animal Husbandry is offering the following degree programs:
- BSc Ag. (Hons)
Faculty of Agricultural Engineering and Technology
- Department of Farm Structure and Environmental Engineering
- Department of Farm Power and Machinery
- Department of Irrigation and Water Management
- Department of Food Technology and Rural Industries
- Department of Computer Science and Mathematics
Faculty of Animal Husbandry
Faculty of Animal Husbandry at Bangladesh Agricultural University was established in 1962.
- Department of Animal Breeding and Genetics
- Department of Animal Science
- Department of Animal Nutrition
- Department of Poultry Science
- Department of Dairy Science
Currently the faculty of Animal Husbandry is offering the following degree programs:
- BSc A.H. (Hons)
Faculty of Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology
- Department of Agricultural Economics
- Department of Agricultural Finance
- Department of Agricultural Statistics
- Department of Agribusiness and Marketing
- Department of Rural Sociology
Faculty of Fisheries
- Department of Fisheries, Biology and Genetics
- Department of Aquaculture
- Department of Fisheries Management
- Department of Fisheries Technology
- Department of Marine Fisheries
As of 2016–2017 session, the general distribution of seats for admission into Level 1, Semester 1 of the undergraduate courses as offered by six faculties BAU will be as follows:
- Faculty of Veterinary Science: 191
- Faculty of Agriculture( Agriculture- 402 + Food Safety Management- 30): 432
- Faculty of Animal Husbandry: 191
- Faculty of Agricultural Economics & Rural Sociology: 133
- Faculty of Agricultural Engineering & Technology (BSc Agri. Engg. 100 + BSc Food Engg. 50): 150
- Faculty of Fisheries: 133
This is including all Freedom fighters quota and other quotas.
Total enrollment per year = 1230.
Bangladeshi all Agriculture University association has decided that undergraduate admission test will be combined from academic session 2019–2020. After admission test merit list, students will admit according to the merit score of seven Agriculture University. All seven Agriculture University has available seats 3551 including Bangladesh Agriculture University.
Every students must have minimum HSC and SSC requirements to appeared on the Admission Exam
M.S. and PhD programs are available as follows:
- Faculty of Veterinary Science: Anatomy & Histology, Microbiology & Hygiene, Parasitology, Medicine, Pathology, Physiology, Pharmacology, and Surgery & Obstetrics.
- Faculty of Agriculture: Agronomy, Soil Science, Crop Botany, Plant Pathology, Horticulture, Entomology, Agricultural Extension Education, Agricultural Chemistry, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Genetics & Plant Breeding, Physics, Chemistry, Languages, Agroforestry, Biotechnology and Environmental Science.
- Faculty of Animal Husbandry: Animal Breeding & Genetics, Animal Nutrition, Animal Science, Poultry Science, and Dairy Science.
- Faculty of Agricultural Economics & Rural Sociology: Agricultural Economics, Cooperation & Marketing, Agricultural Finance, Agricultural Statistics, and Rural Sociology.
- Faculty of Agricultural Engineering & Technology: Irrigation & Water Management, Farm Power & Machinery, Farm Structure, Food Technology & Rural Industries and Computer Science & Mathematics.
- Faculty of Fisheries: Fisheries Biology & Genetics, Aquaculture, Fisheries Management, and Fisheries Technology.
The Journal of the Bangladesh Agricultural University (ISSN 1810-3030) is published in June and December on behalf of the Bangladesh Agricultural University Research System (BAURES). Original research papers, review articles and short communications are published.
- M. Golam Shahi Alam, veterinarian and university administrator
- Goutam Buddha Das, animal nutritionist and university administrator
- M. Afzal Hossain, biochemist and university administrator
- Md. Tofazzal Islam, biotechnologist
- Mohammad Abdur Razzaque, Minister of Agriculture since 2019
- Shawkat Momen Shahjahan, MP for Tangail-8 (1986–1988, 1999–2001, and 2008–2014)
- Dr. Shamsul Alam, Economist, State minister of Planning
Bangladesh Agricultural University
A mosque in the BAU residential area
Monument depicting the list of the martyrs of the Liberation War of Bangladesh
Agricultural university college
Courtyard of faculty of Animal Husbandry
- "BAU appoints its 24th VC". The Daily Star. 31 May 2019. Retrieved 20 September 2019.
- "BAU at a Glance". Bangladesh Agricultural University. Retrieved 22 May 2019.
- "Universities of Bangladesh".
- বিশ্ব র্যাংকিংয়ে দেশ সেরা বিশ্ববিদ্যালয় বাকৃবি. Daily Naya Diganta (in Bengali).
- Ali, M Idris (2012). "Bangladesh Institute of Nuclear Agriculture". In Islam, Sirajul; Jamal, Ahmed A. (eds.). Banglapedia: National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh (Second ed.). Asiatic Society of Bangladesh.
- Kabir, SM Humayun (2012). "Bangladesh Fisheries Research Institute". In Islam, Sirajul; Jamal, Ahmed A. (eds.). Banglapedia: National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh (Second ed.). Asiatic Society of Bangladesh.
- Islam, Sirajul (2012). "Ghani, M Osman". In Islam, Sirajul; Islam, Aminul (eds.). Banglapedia: National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh (Second ed.). Asiatic Society of Bangladesh.
- Islam, Sirajul (2012). "Chaudhury, Saifud-Din". In Islam, Sirajul; Kabir, SM Humayan (eds.). Banglapedia: National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh (Second ed.). Asiatic Society of Bangladesh.
- "Rahim, Quazi Mohammad Fazlur". Banglapedia. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "Chowdhury, Mosleh Uddin Ahmed". Banglapedia. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "Professor A.K.M. Aminul Haque". bas.org.bd. Archived from the original on 27 August 2018. Retrieved 27 August 2018.
- "Ahmad, Kamaluddin". Banglapediag. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "BAU: Centre of excellence". The Daily Star. 19 November 2006. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "BAU Ph.D. Students' Association Seminar held". The Daily Star. 12 October 2008. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "Prof Mandal made BAU VC". The Daily Star. 15 November 2008. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "Golden Jubilee of Bangladesh Agricultural University". The Daily Star. 29 August 2010. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "Prof Haque appointed VC of BAU". Asian Institute of Technology. 11 August 2011. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "BAU vice chancellor resigns". The Daily Star. 8 April 2015. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "BAU celebrates golden jubilee". The Daily Star. 19 August 2011. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "Ali Akbar new BAU vice chancellor". The Daily Star. 25 May 2015. Retrieved 27 August 2018.
- "New BAU VC Prof Dr. Lutful Hassan takes over". The New Nation.
- "All Agricultural University Admission Circular 2020-21। admission-agri.org". BD Circular Zone.
- "Agricultural University Admission Notice 2019". Teletalk News. Retrieved 19 August 2019.
- "Stockton". Archived from the original on 21 November 2004. Retrieved 17 November 2004.
- Islam, Faruk; Bari, Farida Yeasmin; Alam, Golam Shahi (2015). "Reproductive Performances and Management Effects on Productions of Indigenous Dairy Cows Raised at Char Areas in Northern Bangladesh" (PDF). GSTF Journal of Veterinary Science. 1. doi:10.7603/s40871-015-0007-x. S2CID 55345088.
- "Dr. Goutam Buddha Das". Chattogram Veterinary and Animal Sciences University.
- "Curriculum Vitae of Professor Dr. M. Afzal Hossain" (PDF). Hajee Mohammad Danesh Science & Technology University. Archived from the original (PDF) on 8 October 2010.
- "Curriculum Vitae of Md. Tofazzal Islam, PhD" (PDF). Department of Biotechnology, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Agricultural University.
- "Life Sketch of Honorable Minister, Dr. Muhammad Abdur Razzaque" (PDF). UNICEF. Archived from the original (PDF) on 15 September 2015.
- "Tangail-8 MP dies". bdnews24.com. 20 January 2014.
- Official BAU website
- Bangladesh Institute of Nuclear Agriculture
- Bangladesh Fisheries Research Institute
- Hussain, Muhammed (2012). "Bangladesh Agricultural University". In Islam, Sirajul; Jamal, Ahmed A. (eds.). Banglapedia: National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh (Second ed.). Asiatic Society of Bangladesh.
- Rabiour Rahman Raju (2021). Broadpick, An Agricultural Related Blog, (Session 2017-18). Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh, 2202