National University, Bangladesh
(Bangladesh Jatio Bishshobiddalôy)
|Chancellor||President of Bangladesh|
|President||Abdul Hamid (politician)|
|159,375 (incl. Affiliated colleges)|
|Campus||2,254 affiliated colleges|
The National University of Bangladesh (Bengali: জাতীয় বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়, বাংলাদেশ) is a parent university of Bangladesh that was established by an Act of Parliament as an affiliating University of the country to impart graduate and post-graduate level education to the students through its affiliated colleges and professional institutions throughout the country. It is the third largest university in the world according to enrollment. The headquarter is in Gazipur, on the outskirts of Dhaka.
It is a postgraduate teaching and research university as well as an affiliating university. It is state-run and public. The university has a school and a centre. It has established institutes that provide courses leading to MPhil and PhD degrees.
The Institute of Humanities and Social Sciences (IHS) was introduced in 1997 to offer two-year M.Phil. following modern American credit hour and semester system including course work, two-month internship and thesis guided by a supervisor. The M.Phil. is an interdisciplinary degree which is intensive enough to help the students to pursue PhD courses. The course is open to faculty members who are employed at universities and colleges.
Four more institutes – the Institute of Liberation and Bangladesh Studies (ILBS), Institute of National Science (INS), Institute of Life Sciences (ILS), and Institute of Business and Management Studies (IBMS) – have all the formalities complete toward their constitutions and are soon to provide higher courses related to science, needs of life, and national heritage.
Very few of the teachers teaching at honours and masters level have higher training. The training programme of the university is designed to augment the knowledge of the college teachers, enhance their skill in teaching and get them an exposure to higher ideas. Eminent educationists and scholars of the country are associated with the academic programmes provided on campus.
There are four academic units:
- School of Under Graduate Studies
- Centre for Post-Graduate Studies Training & Research
- M. Phil./Ph.D.Programme Unit
- Centre for Curriculum Development and Evaluation
The school and centres organise education in colleges and improve the standard. The university provides bachelor's, honours and master's degrees in ten disciplines: languages, humanities, social science, commerce and business administration, physical sciences, mathematical sciences, biological science, education, law and computer technology.
Apart from the units providing campus teaching at Board Bazar, Gazipur, the university has about 2,254 component/affiliated colleges. These colleges under its academic control cater for courses leading to Pass, Honours and master's degrees. The university exercises academic control over the colleges according to the National University Act 1992 mandated by the National Parliament of Bangladesh and the statutes of the university. It provides the curricula and syllabi, arranges admission test, gives guidelines for admission, arranges inspection, holds examination, publishes results, and awards certificates.
The National University of Bangladesh is now the fifth largest university in the world after its 17-year history by its number of registered students at affiliated colleges. It is also one of the largest universities in the world by number of affiliated colleges and number of expanding subjects and courses.
- Faculty of Arts
- Department of Arabic
- Department of Bengali
- Department of English
- Department of Pali
- Department of Sanskrit
- Department of History
- Department of Islamic History
- Department of Political Science
- Department of Philosophy
- Faculty of Business Studies
- Department of BBA (Professional)
- Department of Aviation Management
- Department of Library Management
- Department of Accounting
- Department of Finance
- Department of Management
- Department of Marketing
- Department of Tourism and Hospitality Management
- Faculty of Engineering (Professionals)
- Dept. of Aeronautical and Aviation Science and Engineering
- Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering
- Dept. of Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Faculty of Technology (Professionals)
- Department of FDT
- Department of AMT
- Department of KMT
- Faculty of Natural Science
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Botany
- Department of Zoology
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Biochemistry
- Department of Physics
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Statistics
- Faculty of Social Science
- Department of Law
- Department of Economics
- Department of Political science
- Department of Sociology
- Department of Social Work
- Department of Geography
- Department of Psychology
- Department of Philosophy
- Department of Library and Information science
Full list of the vice-chancellors.
- Muhammad Abdul Bari (1992–1996)
- Aminul Islam (1996–2000)
- Durgadas Bhattacharjee (2000–2001)
- Abdul Momin Chowdhury (2001–2003)
- Aftab Ahmad (2003–2005)
- Wakil Ahmed (2005–2007)
- Syed Rashedul Hasan (in-charge;2007–2008)
- M Mofakhkharul Islam (2008–2009)
- Kazi Shahidullah (2009–2013)
- Harun-or-Rashid (2013–Present)
Research and publication
- The National University Journal
- Publication "7 দফা'র 10০ বছর"
- Masters Regular Quata Admission Result
Prominent affiliate colleges
- College of Aviation Technology, Uttara, Dhaka
- Habibullah Bahar College
- Cox's Bazar City College, Cox's Bazar
- Institute of Global Management and Information System (IGMIS), Chattogram
- Bangladesh Institute of Science and Technology (BIST)
- Cox's Bazar Govt. College,
- Government Ispahani College, Keraniganj, Dhaka.
- Government Padma College, Dohar, Dhaka
- Patuakhali Government College, Patuakhali, Barishal
- Gobindoganj Govt. College, Gaibandha
- Mirpur College
- Joypurhat Govt. College
- AIICT- Ahsanullah Institute of Information & Communication Technology
- DIIT-Daffodil Institute of Information Technology
- MIST- Model Institute of Science and Technology
- IST-Institute of Science and Technology
- Abudharr Gifari College
- Murari Chand College
- Tejgaon College
- Brahmanbaria Government College
- Brajalal College
- Govt. Sundarban Adarsha College, Khulna
- Brojomohun College
- Charkalekhan Adarsha College
- Carmichael College
- Chittagong College
- Dhaka City College
- College of Business Science & Technology - CBST, Mymensingh
- Dhaka Commerce College
- Dinajpur Government College
- Edward College, Pabna
- Feni Government College
- Government Azizul Haque College, Bogra
- Government City College, Chittagong
- Government Commerce College Chittagong
- Government Hazi Mohammad Mohshin College
- Narsingdi Government College
- Government Physical Education College, Dhaka
- Government Saadat College, Tangail
- Government Maulana Mohammad Ali College, Tangail
- Government Tolaram College
- Government Shahid Sohrawardi College
- Institute of Science, Trade and Technology (ISTT)
- Government Sheikh Fazilatunnesa Mujib Mohila College, Tangail
- Gunabati Degree College
- Haji Jamir Uddin Shafina Women's College
- Islamia University College, Chittagong
- Jahangirpur Govt. College
- Khilgaon Model College
- Kumudini Women's College, Tangail
- Lalmatia Mohila College, Dhaka
- Madan Mohan College, Sylhet
- Michael Modhushudon College
- Murapara University College
- Murari Chand College, Sylhet
- Nawabganj Government College
- New Government Degree College, Rajshahi
- Omar Gani M.E.S. College
- Pakundia Adarsha Mohila College
- Rajshahi College
- Bara aulia degree college
- Rajshahi Government City College, Rajshahi
- Rangpur Government College
- Sapahar Government College
- Shaikh Burhanuddin Post Graduate College
- Sylhet Government Women's College
- Dhaka Dakshin Government College
- Tongi Government College
- Moulvibazar Govt. College, Maulvibazar - Edu Icon (36)
- Victoria College, Narail
- Victoria College, Comilla
- Marine Fisheries Academy, Chittagong
- Gachbariya Government College, Chandanish, Chittagong
- Bandarban Government College,Bandarban Chattogram
- Maheshpur degree college
- Jeshore govt. City college
- Rayermohal Mohabidyalay, Rayermohal, Khulna
- ৪১তম বার্ষিক প্রতিবেদন [41st Annual Report] (in Bengali). Archived from the original on 12 March 2016. Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Candidate List". National University. Archived from the original on 28 October 2013.
- "National University Bangladesh". www.nu.ac.bd. Retrieved 21 October 2018.
- "Ex National University VC breathers his last". UNB. Retrieved 21 October 2018.
- "Ishakha International University". www.ishakha.edu.bd. Retrieved 21 October 2018.
- "Aftab removed, Wakil made NU vice chancellor". The Daily Star. 21 July 2005. Retrieved 21 October 2018.
- "NU VC removed". The Daily Star. 27 December 2007. Retrieved 21 October 2018.
- "Degree Result". nu.ac.bd/results. Retrieved 25 December 2020.
- "Ahsanullah Institute of Information & Communication Technology".
- "DIIT | Daffodil Institute of IT | Home".
- "MIST || Gazipur". mistnu.com.
- "Institute of Science and Technology (IST) - Bangladesh".
- "সরকারি মাওলানা মোহাম্মদ আলী কলেজ, টাঙ্গাইল – GOVERNMENT MAULANA MOHAMMAD ALI COLLEGE, TANGAIL".