Bangladesh Ordnance Factories
|Bengali: বাংলাদেশ সমরাস্ত্র কারখানা|
|Founded||April 6, 1970|
|Products||Firearms, Artillery, Fuses, Detonators, Explosives.|
The establishment of a rifle factory and small-arms ammunition plant began in 1968 with the technical and financial assistance of the People's Republic of China. The facility was inaugurated on 6 April 1970. Although it suffered considerable damage during the Bangladesh Liberation War in 1971, its capabilities have been restored and expanded since.
In 1982-1983 BMR (Balancing, Modernization, Replacement) works started which was completed in 1987. After the BMR the yearly production target of the factory was determined to be 2500 rifles and 15 million ammunition per annum. Project on establishment of ‘Automatic Assault Rifle BD-08’ factory was under taken in 2004-2005 and it was successfully implemented in the year 2008.
Initially BOF was set up with technologies machines, equipment and support facilities from China, but gradually technology transfers from Austria, Australia, Belgium, Germany & Italy were added. BOF now boasts a mix of conventional and state of the art computerized controlled processes/systems for manufacturing.
Bangladesh Ordnance Factories currently operates the following factories.
- Small Arms Manufacturing Factory
- Small Arms Ammunition Factory
- Ball, Tracer, Blank and API ammunition for Rifle, SMG, LMG and HMG Manufacturing Factory
- Rifles Manufacturing Factory
- Machine Gun Manufacturing Factory
- Grenade Manufacturing Factory
- Missile Manufacturing Factory
- Artillery Ammunition Factory
- Tools Manufacturing Plant
The products of Bangladesh Ordnance Factory are as follows:
- BD-08 assault rifle
- BD-14 light machine Gun
- BD-15 GPMG
- Type 56 semi automatic rifle
- Type 56 assault rifle - Licensed Product
- FN-16 MANPAD - Under ToT
- Arges-84 Grenade
- 60MM Mortar Shell - Under ToT
- 81MM Mortar Shell - Under ToT
- 122MM Unguided Rocket Shell - Under Licensed Product
- "History". Bangladesh Ordnance Factories. 29 September 2019.
- "The South Asian Military Handbook" (PDF). Central Intelligence Agency. August 1973.
- "B.O.F. - About Us". Archived from the original on 2012-07-23. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
- "Capabilities". bof.gov.bd. Archived from the original on 2019-05-06. Retrieved 2019-08-30.