Bangladesh Ordnance Factories
|Bengali: বাংলাদেশ সমরাস্ত্র কারখানা|
|Headquarters||Gazipur, Dhaka Division, Bangladesh|
|Products||Firearms, Artillery, Fuses, Detonators, Explosives.|
The current Commandant of Bangladesh Ordnance Factories is Major General Sheikh Mamun Khaled,SUP, rcds, psc, PhD
Establishment of Bangladesh Ordnance Factory commenced in 1968 with the technical and financial assistance of People's Republic of China. It was inaugurated on 6 April 1970. Although it suffered considerable damage during the Bangladesh Liberation War in 1971, its capabilities have been restored and expanded since.
In 1982-1983 BMR (Balancing,Modernization,Replacement)works started which was completed in 1987.After the BMR the yearly production target of the factory was determined to be 2500 rifles and 15million ammunition per annum. Project on establishment of ‘Automatic Assault Rifle BD-08’ factory was under taken in 2004-2005 and it was successfully implemented in the year 2008.
Initially BOF was set up with technologies machines, equipment and support facilities from China, but gradually technology transfers from Austria, Australia, Belgium, Germany & Italy were added. BOF now boasts a mix of conventional and state of the art computerized controlled processes/systems for manufacturing.
Bangladesh Ordnance Factories currently operates the following factories.
- Small Arms Factory
- Small Arms Ammunition Factory
- Grenade Manufacturing Factory
- Artillery Ammunition Factory
- Tools Manufacturing Plant
- BD-08 - Licensed Version of Type 81 assault rifle
- Heckler & Koch G3 Battle Rifle - Under ToT
- Type 56 assault rifle - Licensed Product
- FN-16 MANPAD - Under ToT
- "BANGLADESH ORDNANCE FACTORIES - BANGLADESH ORDNANCE FACTORIES". bof.gov.bd.
- "B.O.F. - About Us". Archived from the original on 2012-07-23. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
- "China and Russia dominate Bangladesh arms imports in 2015/16 - Bangladesh Military Forces". BDMilitary.com. Retrieved 2016-04-11.