Bangladeshi national identity card
|Date first issued||22 July 2006|
|Issued by||National Identity Registration Wing (NIDW)|
|Type of document||Identity card|
|Eligibility requirements||18 years of age (Bangladeshi citizen)|
|Expiration||15 years from the date of issuance |
|Smart NID card|
|Key people||Brig. Gen. Sulatnunzzam M. Salehuddin|
|Launched||2 October 2016|
|Budget||৳900 crore (US$120 million)|
The National Identity Card (Bengali: জাতীয় পরিচয়পত্র) or NID card is a compulsory identity document issued to every Bangladeshi citizen upon turning 18 years of age. The NID is a government issued photo ID just like the Bangladeshi Driver's licence, which is also a biometric, microchip embedded, smart identity card. The NID is required by Bangladeshi citizens for multiple essential public services, such as obtaining utility connections, as well as private services, such as opening bank accounts, in Bangladesh. Initially paper based laminated NID cards were issued since 2006. Then the paper based laminated NID cards were replaced by biometric and microchip embedded Smart NID cards for all adult citizens in Bangladesh from 2016 onwards. This was done to ensure security for the card holder as well as prevent counterfeiting and fraudulence. The government provides the Smart NID card free of charge to all adult citizens of Bangladesh.
Biometric identification has existed in Bangladesh since 2006. All Bangladeshis who are 18 years of age or older are issued identity cards and included in a central biometric database, which is used by the Bangladesh Election Commission to oversee the electoral procedure in Bangladesh. Before 2016, only normal identity cards were issued which only included the ID holder's name; father's and mother's names; date of birth; ID number; photo; thumb and index fingerprints; and signature. These paper based laminated NID cards were easy to counterfeit. However, starting in October 2016, they were replaced by biometric, microchip embedded, smart identity cards in order to ensure security for the card holder as well as prevent counterfeiting and fraudulence. The smart NID cards include all ten fingerprints in addition to other biometric and identity information.
Smart National Identity Card
The National Identity Registration Wing (NIDW) of the Bangladesh Election Commission introduced the Smart National Identity Card in October 2016. This card has an integrated circuit embedded in it and it is also known as a "chip-based card" or "smart NID card" in Bangladesh. It is a pocket sized plastic card, almost the size of a credit card, with the embedded integrated circuit storing all the data. To maintain the security of the smart card, 25 international certifications and standards have been ensured. The card holders currently receive 22 different types of services including banking, electronic Tax Identification Number (e-TIN), driving license, passport, etc.
The following facilities and services are available to citizens with the Bangladeshi smart NID card:
- Citizens' rights and benefits
- National identity
- Driving license
- Property land buying and selling
- Open Bangladeshi bank accounts
- Bank loan support
- Government pensions
- Government financial aid or support
- BIN facility
- Share-BO account maintainers
- Business trade license
- Vehicle registration
- Insurance schemes
- Marriage registration
- Gas and electricity connections
- Mobile connect
- Health cards
- Bank transactions
- Students' admission facilities
Updating the list of eligible voters is an ongoing process under the election commission. Bangladeshi citizens who have frequently lived in an area and are 18 years or above, but not yet registered as a voter, may register. At the time of enrollment they need following supporting documents in addition to the application form:
- SSC or equivalent certificate
- Birth certificate
- Passport, driving license, or TIN certificate
- Utility bill copy, house rent receipt, or holding tax receipt (as proof of address)
- Citizenship certificate (as applicable)
- Father, mother, husband, or wife's NID bd photocopy
- http://www.nidw.gov.bd/ValidityNIDReRegistration.php (NIDW) National Identity Registration Wing
- "UIDAI: Contacts". NIDW Development Team.
- "PM launches smart ID cards distribution | Dhaka Tribune". Dhaka Tribune. 2016-10-02. Retrieved 2017-02-04.
- "Distribution of 'smart' NID cards for Bangladesh citizens inaugurated". bdnews24.com. Retrieved 2017-02-04.
- "NID bd smart card Election Commission bd - NID Election News". NID Election News. 2017-01-22. Retrieved 2017-02-04.
- "Election commission bd - NID Election News". NID Election News. 2017-01-25. Retrieved 2017-02-04.