Map of Pangasinan showing the location of Bani
|Region||Ilocos (Region I)|
|District||1st district of Pangasinan|
|• Mayor||Gwen Palafox Yamamoto|
|• Vice Mayor||Filipina C. Rivera|
|• Electorate||27,568 voters (2016 election)|
|• Total||179.65 km2 (69.36 sq mi)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||280/km2 (730/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|Dialing code||+63 (0)75|
|Income class||2nd municipal income class|
|Revenue||₱ 14,482,376.41 (2016)|
|Poverty incidence||17.57 (2012)|
Bani is a 2nd class municipality in the province of Pangasinan, Philippines. According to the 2015 census, it has a population of 50,306 people. It is located between Alaminos City and Bolinao and is named after the Bani, tree which could be found in the Poblacion. Dubbed as the "Golden West" in the 1960s and early 1970s, Bani lies between Tambac Bay and West Philippine Sea. Bani has a land area of 19,243.6075 hectares.
Etymology and history
Bani was founded on March 18, 1769 (from Zambales). In May 1903, it was transferred to Pangasinan together with the towns of Agno, Alaminos, Anda, Bolinao, Burgos, Dasol, Infanta and Mabini. San Simon, the original Bani, was transferred from Namagbagan to sitio Almacin in 1859.
The Immaculate Conception, Patron Saint of San Simon, disappeared from the church altar and discovered on top of the tall Bani tree in the vicinity of the present Church. She was brought to the Namagbagan church, and returned to the present site. Bani's name came from the Bani tree where the image of the Patroness was found. Bani (Millettia pinnata) is a smooth tree (height of 8 to 25 meters).
In 1769, Fr. Mains de Lamberto erected a "visita" in Bani with settlements around Don Cayo banks and in 1762, these settlements became a sitio, with local officials headed by Don Francisco Baltazar as "Tiniente Absolute".
On 21 November 1903 the town of Bani together with Alaminos, Bolinao, San Isidro de Potot and Infanta were annexed to Pangasinan. In 1918 the road from Alaminos to Bani was started. During the time of Martial Law the mayor of Bani was Marcelo Navarro, a member of the Liberal Party. After the People Power of 1986 the OIC who headed Bani was Edmundo Cacho
Bani is the hometown of TV host and former Pangasinan governor Oscar Orbos. From the Municipal Hall one would read that this town used to be a part of Zambales and its founders include Pangasinenses, Ilocanos and Zambals.
Last May 2009 Bani along with Anda and Bolinao, was severely damaged by typhoon Emong. The typhoon damaged an office close to the Municipal Building, the Western Pangasinan Lyceum, and a lot of structures and houses.
|Population census of Bani|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
- Banog Norte
- Banog Sur
- Centro Toma
- Dacap Norte
- Dacap Sur
- Ranom Iloco
- San Jose
- San Miguel
- San Simon
- San Vicente
- Tugui Grande
- Tugui Norte
|Climate data for Bani, Pangasinan|
|Average high °C (°F)||31
|Average low °C (°F)||22
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||13.6
|Average rainy days||3||2||2||4||14||16||23||21||24||15||10||6||140|
|Source: World Weather Online|
The Chief Executive of the town is Marcelo E. Navarro married to Dr. Elizabeth Pagilagan- Navarro (His father is Ex-Mayor Marcelo C. Navarro narried to Segundina Enriquez-Navarro). The Vice Mayor, Filipina C. Rivera and 8 Sangguniang Members or Councilors hold office at the Sangguniang Bayan and Session hall.
Spain ruled Bani from 378 from 1521 to 1899, The “pueblos”'s Gobernadorcillos were appointed by the Spanish authorities and from 1901 to 1936, the Presidentes, by the Americans. In 1937 to present, the local chief executives were elected.
The Official Seal was adopted in Resolution No. 7 on 7 March 1991.
On August 9, 2011 a recall petition Initiative#Philippines (Initiative, Recall election) was filed against Bani Vice-Mayor Filipina Rivera., by Mayor Marcelo Navarro, Jr. and Bani voters for loss of confidence. The subject of the case is the P70-million loan from Land Bank of the Philippines allegedly for the improvement of public market of Bani, Pangasinan without proper study, consultation, or documentation and P21 million in savings unaccounted funds.
- 1,000 step "Via Crucis" leading to the gigantic Redeemer's Cross perched on a plateau overlooking the South China Sea of Doña Segundina Enriquez Navarro, wife Mayor Marcelo C. Navarro. Annual Archdiocesan Penitential Pilgrimage every Holy Tuesday first held in 1975.
- Rock formations along the shores.
- Bird Watching at Bangri Mangroves
- Olanen Beach, Tobong Beach - Dacap Sur
- Surip Beach in Sitio Olanen, Barangay Dacap Sur - scuba diving, snorkeling and recreational fishing of tropical fishes and lobsters
- Surip Beach Mountain Resort, Hide Away Sea and Beach Resort, Cacho Beach Resor
- Oldwoods by the Sea Eco Resort - Olanen
- Surip Cave, Nalsoc Cave, Abot Aso Cave, Nangadiyan Cave, and the Dumaloy Cave.
- Nalsoc Cave is a subterranean river with natural archway of stalactites and stalagmites, Brgy. Colayo: Cave Formations (Speleothems), Dripstone, Straws, Stalactites, Stalagmites, Columns or Pillars and Shawls.
- Cacho Beach Resort Bani Pangasinan
- Baliwangga falls, Barangay Ranao, near Ranao Elementary School.
- Bani East Central Elementary School, Bani Poblacion
- The Bani Town Hall
- Bani Public Auditorium and Children's Playground
- The Manuel Oboza Lara-Edralin Auditorium, Poblacion
- Bani Rural Bank, Inc., Poblacion
- Public Market,Poblacion
- Bani is noted for producing the sweetest, the reddest and the juiciest watermelon in the province of Pangasinan and in the country.
Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish Church
Roman Catholic population of Bani is 28,686 or 66.98% while IGLESIA FILIPINA INDEPENDIENTE or the PHILIPPINE INDEPENDENT CHURCH (Aglipayan) population is 7,859 or 18.35%. Other churches include Bani United Methodist Church and Iglesia ni Cristo (Church of Christ) Lokal ng Bani, inter alia.
The 1762 Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish Church (Poblacion, Bani) is under Co Pastor, Fr. Raymond Oligane and Fr. Fernando Castillo. Feast day is December 8, with its Parish Priest, Fr. Roberto Casaclang, Vicariate of the Divine Savior, Vicar Forane, Father Eduardo E. Inacay. is part of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Alaminos (Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Lingayen-Dagupan).
- "Official City/Municipal 2013 Election Results". Intramuros, Manila, Philippines: Commission on Elections (COMELEC). 1 July 2013. Retrieved 3 September 2013.
- "Province: PANGASINAN". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Archived from the original on 14 November 2012. Retrieved 22 November 2012.
- "Region I (Ilocos Region)". Census of Population (2015): Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay (Report). PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "Pangasinan : Cities and Municipalities Competitiveness Index". Makati City, Philippines: National Competitiveness Council (Philippines). Archived from the original on 28 January 2017. Retrieved 28 January 2017.
- "PSA Releases the 2012 Municipal and City Level Poverty Estimates". Quezon City, Philippines: Philippine Statistics Authority. Retrieved 28 January 2017.[dead link]
- (Rosario Cortes: Pangasinan-1901-1986, New Day Publishers, 1995, p. 16)
- (Rosario Cortes: Pangasinan-1901-1986, New Day Publishers, 1995)
- "Region I (Ilocos Region)". Census of Population and Housing (2010): Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay (Report). NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- "Region I (Ilocos Region)". Census of Population (1995, 2000 and 2007): Total Population by Province, City and Municipality (Report). NSO. Archived from the original on 24 June 2011.
- "Province of Pangasinan". Municipality Population Data. Local Water Utilities Administration Research Division. Retrieved 17 December 2016.
- "Bani, Pangasinan: Average Temperatures and Rainfall". World Weather Online. Retrieved 23 September 2015.
- I am from Bani
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bani, Pangasinan.|
- Official website of the Municipality of Bani
- Municipal Profile at the National Competitiveness Council of the Philippines
- Bani at the Pangasinan Government Website
- Local Governance Performance Management System
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- Pangasinan.org : Bani Family and School Reunion Archives
|South China Sea|