Bani Yas (from Arabic: بَنُو ياس ) is a tribal confederation of central Arabian origin in the United Arab Emirates. It had a coalition with many other tribes in the region. The tribal coalition which consists of tribes from Dubai to Khawr al Udayd southeast of Qatar, was called the Bani Yas Coalition. The tribe has been led by their rulers, the Al Nahyan, who had their headquarters in Al Dhafra and now in Abu Dhabi (city).
The ruling family of the United Arab Emirates and Abu Dhabi, Al Nahyan, which is a branch of Al Falahi, belongs to and rules this tribe, as do the emirs of Dubai, Al Maktoum, which is a branch of Al Falasi.
Bani Yas consists of the following which are:
- Frauke, Heard-Bey. "The Tribal Society of the UAE" (PDF). Retrieved 10 October 2012.
- ZAYED. "The Millennial Legend \ THE BANI YAS ALLIANCE". Retrieved 10 October 2012.
- "History". Lonely Planet. Retrieved 10 October 2012.
- "History of Dubai". DubaiGuru.org. Retrieved 10 October 2012.
- "History of Dubai". www.dubaionweb.com. Retrieved 10 October 2012.
- Motohiro, Ono (March 2011). "Reconsideration of the Meanings of the Tribal Ties in the United Arab Emirates: Abu Dhabi Emirate in Early ʼ90s" (PDF). Kyoto Bulletin of Islamic Area Studies 4–1 (2): 25–34. Retrieved 17 April 2013.
|This Middle East-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This UAE-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|