|Single by Rascal Flatts|
|from the album Changed|
|Released||January 16, 2012|
|Length||4:16 (Album Version)
3:44 (Radio Edit)
|Producer(s)||Dann Huff, Rascal Flatts|
|Rascal Flatts singles chronology|
"Banjo" is a song recorded by American country music group Rascal Flatts, written by Neil Thrasher, Wendell Mobley and Tony Martin. It was released in January 2012 as the first single from the group's eighth studio album, Changed. Rascal Flatts also performed the song live with Steve Martin at the Academy of Country Music Awards in 2012.
"Banjo" is an up-tempo in which the narrator invites his lover to escape with him to a faraway place that "ain't on the map". He tells her to "go-go-go / 'Til you hear a banjo."
Neil Thrasher and Wendell Mobley, both of whom have written several singles for Rascal Flatts, told Taste of Country that the line "'til you hear a banjo" came when Rascal Flatts' lead singer Gary LeVox was giving the two directions to his farm. Although they did not write the song at the farm, Mobley and Thrasher presented the idea to Tony Martin. The next time Mobley went to LeVox' farm, he presented LeVox with a demo of the song, and LeVox said that he would cut the song "right now".
|Taste of Country|||
|The 1-to-10 Country Music Review|||
Rating it three-and-a-half stars out of five, Matt Bjorke thought that the band sounded "refreshed" and that the song itself was "well-produced". It received an identical rating from Billy Dukes of Taste of Country, who criticized the song's lyrics but said that it "should be enjoyed for what’s on the surface". Noah Eaton of Country Universe gave the song a C+, saying that LeVox "actually sounds like he’s enjoying the ride here", but criticizing the production for its "stereotypical stadium-rock histrionics" in the last verse. Ben Foster of "The 1-to-10 Country Music Review" gave it five stars out of ten, saying, "the song will more than likely supply the group with another chart hit, and a high-volume set opener for their live shows."
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||57|
|US Billboard Hot 100||51|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||33|
"Drink on It"
by Blake Shelton
|Billboard Hot Country Songs
May 12, 2012
by Miranda Lambert
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Conaway, Alanna. "Rascal Flatts, 'Banjo' — Lyrics Uncovered". Taste of Country. Retrieved February 10, 2012.
- Bjorke, Matt (January 9, 2012). "'Banjo' single review". Roughstock. Retrieved February 10, 2012.
- Dukes, Billy (January 9, 2012). "Rascal Flatts, ‘Banjo’ – Song Review". Taste of Country. Retrieved February 10, 2012.
- Eaton, Noah (January 19, 2012). "Rascal Flatts — 'Banjo'". Country Universe. Retrieved February 10, 2012.
- Foster, Ben (5 February 2012). "Rascal Flatts – "Banjo"". The 1-to-10 Country Music Review. Retrieved 20 July 2012.
- "Rascal Flatts Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Rascal Flatts.
- "Rascal Flatts Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Rascal Flatts.
- "Rascal Flatts Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Rascal Flatts.
- "Best of 2012: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2012. Retrieved December 14, 2012.
- "American single certifications – Rascal Flatts – Banjo". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved January 10, 2014. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH