|Predecessor||Banc of America Securities, Merrill Lynch & Co.|
|Founded||January 1, 2009|
|Headquarters||Bank of America Tower|
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Brian T Moynihan (CEO)|
Thomas K. Montag (COO)
|Parent||Bank of America|
BofA Securities, previously Bank of America Merrill Lynch (BAML), is an American multinational investment bank division under the auspices of Bank of America. It is not to be confused with Merrill, the wealth management division of Bank of America.
It provides services in mergers and acquisitions, equity and debt capital markets, lending, trading, risk management, research, and liquidity and payments management. It was formed through the combination of the corporate and investment banking activities of Bank of America and Merrill Lynch & Co. following the acquisition of the latter by the former in January 2009.
Bank of America completed the acquisition of Merrill Lynch & Co on January 1, 2009. Bank of America began rebranding all of its corporate and investment banking activities under the Bank of America Merrill Lynch name in September 2009.
In April 2011, Bank of America Merrill Lynch integrated its corporate and investment banking operations into a single division.
In February 2019, Bank of America announced a rebrand of its investment banking division to "BofA Securities".
Bank of America Merrill Lynch is organized within four geographic divisions:
- Asia Pacific - Headquartered at Cheung Kong Center in Hong Kong
- Europe, Middle East & Africa - Headquartered at Bank of America Merrill Lynch Financial Centre in London
- Latin America and U.S. & Canada - Headquartered at Bank of America Tower, New York (also the global head office) The institution also maintains a large presence at the Bank of America Tower in Jacksonville
Bank of America Merrill Lynch achieved the second-highest revenues of any investment bank worldwide in 2010, with a global market share of 6.8 per cent. In that year it achieved the highest revenues of any investment bank worldwide in both leveraged loans and asset-backed securities.
- Ensign, Rachel Louise (February 25, 2019). "Bank of America to Drop Merrill Lynch Name From Some Businesses". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- "Bank of America completes Merrill Lynch purchase". Reuters. January 1, 2009. Retrieved January 21, 2011.
- "Bank of America Rebrands Offices in New York, London Towers". Bloomberg. September 3, 2009. Retrieved May 29, 2012.
- "BofA combines investment bank divisions". Reuters. April 19, 2011. Retrieved May 11, 2012.
- "BofA Merrill Receives The Banker Magazine's Top Global Award". Bank of America Merrill Lynch. October 7, 2013. Archived from the original on October 29, 2013. Retrieved October 28, 2013.
- "The Banker's Investment Banking Awards, 2013 – the winners". The Banker. October 3, 2013. Retrieved October 28, 2013.
- Moyer, Robert Frank, Liz (February 25, 2019). "Bank of America to drop Merrill Lynch name and rebrand wealth unit as just 'Merrill'". www.cnbc.com. Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- "Corporate and Institutional". Bank of America. Archived from the original on January 29, 2011. Retrieved January 21, 2011.
- Basch, Mark (December 28, 2017). "Florida's Banking Center". floridatrends.com. Florida Trends. Retrieved May 20, 2018.
- "Bank of America Reports Fourth-Quarter Loss". Here Is The City News. January 21, 2011. Archived from the original on January 23, 2011. Retrieved January 21, 2011.
- "JPMorgan Chase Tops Dealogic's 2011 Investment Banks Ranking". Here Is The City News. December 20, 2011. Retrieved May 11, 2012.