Bank of India (Uganda)
Managing Director and CEO
|Products||Retail Banking, Corporate Banking, Investments, Remittances, Loans|
Aftertax:US$ 380,000+ (UGX 1274 million) (2015)
|Total assets||(UGX 136 billion) (US$ 40.60 million) (2015)|
Number of employees
As of June 2012[update], BOIU was a small, but growing, financial services provider in Uganda. The valuation of its total assets and shareholders' equity are not publicly known.
Bank of India began its international expansion in 1946 by opening its first branch in London and the first Indian Bank to do so. It opened branches in Tokyo (1950), Singapore (1951), Kenya and Uganda (1953), Hong Kong (1960) and so on. Following the expulsion of Asians from the country by Idi Amin in 1972, BOIU sold its assets to Bank of Baroda and exited the country. In 2012, the BOIUL returned as it was issued a commercial banking license by the Bank of Uganda in March 2012. BOIUL commenced business operations on 10 June 2012. The Bank has been making profits from the first year of its operations. 
Bank of India Group
BOIUL is a member of the Bank of India Group, a financial services conglomerate whose shares are listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange. The stock of the group is 65.9 percent owned by the Government of India. The group is one of the five largest banks in India, with over 5,000 branches, spread over 23 countries (60 offices) and over 8,000 ATMs. The member companies of Bank of India Group include but are not limited to the following:
- Bank of India - India
- Bank of India (Botswana)- Botswana
- Bank of India (Kenya) - Kenya
- Bank of India (Tanzania) - Tanzania
- Bank of India (Uganda) - Uganda
- Indo-Zambia Bank Limited - Zambia - 20 percent shareholding
- Bank of India (South Africa) - South Africa
- Bank of India (New Zealand) - New Zealand
- Bank of India - New York
- Bank of India - London
- Bank of India - Paris
- Bank of India - Tokyo
- Bank of India - Hong Kong
- Bank of India - Singapore
- Nalubega, Flavia (20 June 2012). "Bank of India Urged On Agriculture As It Resumes Operations". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- Businge, Julius (10 May 2013). "Bad Year For Banks". The Independent (Uganda). Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- BOU (June 2015). "List of Licensed Commercial Banks As At June 2015" (PDF). Kampala: Bank of Uganda (BOU). Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- Businge, Julius (2 May 2012). "Bank of India Returns To Uganda". The Independent (Uganda). Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- Nalubega, Flavia (8 June 2012). "New Banks Kick Off Operations Amid Market Volatilities". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- Samuel Sanya, Andrew Ssenyonga (19 June 2012). "Bank of India Returns After 4 Decades". New Vision. Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- Nantaba, Eriosi (1 July 2012). "Bank of India Returns to Uganda". East African Business Week via AllAfrica.com. Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- "About Bank of India (Botswana)". Bank of India (Botswana). Retrieved 1 May 2014.