Bank of Montreal Head Office, Montreal
The Bank of Montreal's Head Office is located on Saint Jacques Street in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, across the Place d'Armes from Notre-Dame de Montréal Basilica. The Bank of Montreal is the oldest bank in Canada, founded in 1817. Despite the name of this office, the operational head office of the Bank of Montreal was moved to Toronto in 1977 due to political instability in Quebec.
The centrepiece of the complex is the Bank's Montreal Main Branch, a Pantheon-like building built by John Wells in 1847. The building was inspired by the design of the former headquarters of the Commercial Bank of Scotland in Edinburgh.
The building is in neoclassical style. The sculpted pediment of the building was done by Sir John Steell. Enlargements to the building were made in 1901–1905 by the New York City firm of McKim, Mead and White.
Bank of Montreal Museum
The Bank of Montreal Museum features exhibits about the history of the bank, including a 19th-century teller's window, photos, coins and banknotes, cheques and mechanical piggybanks. The displays are located in the passage between the old building and the current head office. The museum is open during regular bank hours and admission is free.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bank of Montreal Main Montreal Branch.|
Other bank buildings in Montreal:
- Old Canadian Bank of Commerce Building, Montreal
- Old Royal Bank Building, Montreal
- Molson Bank Building, Montreal
- Tour CIBC
Other BMO buildings:
- Rémillard, François, Old Montreal — A Walking Tour, Ministère des Affaires culturelles du Québec, 1992
- Bank of Montreal Head Office, Montreal information from Vieux-Montréal (in French)
- Photograph:Bank of Montreal Building, circa 1860 - McCord Museum
- Photograph:Bank of Montreal Building, circa 1871 - McCord Museum
- Photograph:Bank of Montreal Building, circa 1880 - McCord Museum
- Photograph:Bank of Montreal Building, 1890 - McCord Museum
- Photograph:Bank of Montreal Building, circa 1906 - McCord Museum
- Photograph:Bank of Montreal Building, 1911 - McCord Museum
|This article about a building or structure in Quebec is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Montreal-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|