Bank of Montreal Head Office, Montreal
|Bank of Montreal Head Office, Montreal|
|Location||119, rue Saint-Jacques|
|Current tenants||Bank of Montreal|
Bank of Montreal Museum
|Design and construction|
|Architecture firm||McKim, Mead & White|
The Bank of Montreal's Head Office is located on Saint Jacques Street in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, across the Place d'Armes from the Notre-Dame Basilica in the Old Montreal neighbourhood. The Bank of Montreal is the oldest bank in Canada, founded in 1817. Although it still remains the bank's legal headquarters, its operational head office was moved to First Canadian Place in Toronto in 1977 due to political instability in Quebec.
The centrepiece of the complex is the Bank of Montreal Main Branch, a Pantheon-like building built by John Wells in 1847. The building was inspired by the design of the former headquarters of the Commercial Bank of Scotland in Edinburgh.
The building is in neoclassical style. The sculpted pediment of the building was done by Sir John Steell. Enlargements to the building were made in 1901–1905 by the New York City firm of McKim, Mead and White.
Bank of Montreal Museum
The Bank of Montreal Museum features exhibits about the history of the bank, including a 19th-century teller's window, photos, coins and banknotes, cheques and mechanical piggybanks. The displays are located in the passage between the old building and the current head office. The museum is open during regular bank hours and admission is free.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bank of Montreal Main Montreal Branch.|
Other bank buildings in Montreal:
- Old Canadian Bank of Commerce Building, Montreal
- Old Royal Bank Building, Montreal
- Molson Bank Building, Montreal
- Tour CIBC
Other BMO buildings:
- Rémillard, François, Old Montreal — A Walking Tour, Ministère des Affaires culturelles du Québec, 1992
- Bank of Montreal Head Office, Montreal information from Vieux-Montréal (in French)
- Photograph:Bank of Montreal Building, circa 1860 - McCord Museum
- Photograph:Bank of Montreal Building, circa 1871 - McCord Museum
- Photograph:Bank of Montreal Building, circa 1880 - McCord Museum
- Photograph:Bank of Montreal Building, 1890 - McCord Museum
- Photograph:Bank of Montreal Building, circa 1906 - McCord Museum
- Photograph:Bank of Montreal Building, 1911 - McCord Museum