Bank of Namibia
The Bank of Namibia is the central bank of the Republic of Namibia, whose establishment is enshrined in Article 128 of the Namibian Constitution located in the capital city of Windhoek. The Bank of Namibia was established in 1990 by the Bank of Namibia Act, 1990 (Act 8 of 1990). The Bank of Namibia is the only institution that is permitted to issue the Namibian dollar by authority that has been given to it under an Act of the Namibian Parliament. The head of the Bank of Namibia is the Governor of the Bank of Namibia.
The Governors to date have been:
- Dr WL Bernard (16 June 1990 until 31 August 1991)
- Erik Karlsson (1 September 1991 until 31 December 1993)
- Dr J Ahmad (1 January 1994 till 31 December 1996)
- Tom Alweendo (1 January 1997 until 25 March 2010)
- Ipumbu Shiimi (since 25 March 2010)
The bank is engaged in policies to promote financial inclusion and is a member of the Alliance for Financial Inclusion. On March 5, 2012, the Bank of Namibia announced it would be making specific commitments to financial inclusion under the Maya Declaration.
- Sherbourne, Robin. Guide to the Namibian Economy 2013/14. Institute for Public Policy Research, Namibia. p. 14. ISBN 978-99945-78-14-6.
- "Bank of Namibia Act, 1990". Government Gazette of the Republic of Namibia (42). 9 July 1990.
- Tom Alweendo Namibia Institute for Democracy Archived June 11, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Bank of Namibia - Board members of the Bank". www.bon.com.na. Retrieved 20 September 2016.
- "Namibia. Member Map". Alliance for Financial Inclusion. Retrieved 20 October 2016.