Bank of Uganda
|Governor||Emmanuel Tumusiime Mutebile|
|Central bank of||Uganda|
UGX (ISO 4217)
|Assets = US$8.2 billion (2013)|
Organization and governance
The board of directors of the Bank of Uganda is the bank's supreme policy making body. It is chaired by the governor or, in his or her absence, by the deputy governor.
The duties and powers of the board are specified by the Bank of Uganda Act. This Act makes the board responsible for the general management of the affairs of the bank. The board formulates policy and ensures that anything required to be done by the bank under the statute as well as anything else that is within or incidental to the functioning of the bank is carried out.
The president of Uganda appoints both the governor and the deputy governor, on the advice of the cabinet, for five-year renewable terms. Other members of the board (not fewer than four and not more than six) are appointed by the minister of finance for three-year renewable terms. The secretary to the treasury is an ex-officio member of the board.
|This section does not cite any references (sources). (August 2015)|
The central bank maintains currency centers in various locations around the country, whose purpose is to store, process and monitor the supply of currency to the government and private financial institutions in the surrounding cities, towns and villages. There are a total of nine currency centers in the following cities and towns:
- Arua Currency Center - Arua
- Fort Portal Currency Center - Fort Portal
- Gulu Currency Center - Gulu
- Jinja Currency Center - Jinja
- Kabale Currency Center - Kabale
- Kampala Currency Center - Kampala
- Masaka Currency Center - Masaka
- Mbale Currency Center - Mbale
- Mbarara Currency Center - Mbarara
The bank is also one of the original 17 regulatory institutions to make specific national commitments to financial inclusion under The Maya Declaration during the AFI Global Policy Forum held in Riviera Maya, Mexico in 2011.
- Oketch, Martin Luther (10 April 2014). "Forex Reserves Increase by Shs584 Billion". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 20 April 2014.
- "Governance and Organisation of the Bank". Bank of Uganda. Retrieved 20 April 2014.
- Uwera, Runyambo (12 April 2010). "Central Bank Launches Currency Centre". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 20 April 2014.
- Alliance, for Financial Inclusion (30 September 2011). "Maya Declaration Urges Financial Inclusion for World's Unbanked Populations". PR Newswire. Retrieved 20 April 2014.
- Bank of Uganda Website
- Uganda Ministry of Finance
- Bank of Uganda Annual Financial Stability Reports
- Mixed Bag of Banking Stars