A bank teller (often abbreviated to simply teller) is an employee of a bank who deals directly with customers. In some places, this employee is known as a cashier or customer representative. Most teller jobs require experience with handling cash and a high school diploma. Most banks provide on-the-job training.
Tellers are considered a "front line" in the banking business because they are the first people that a customer sees at the bank.
Responsibilities and Duties of the Bank Teller
Being front line staff they are most likely to detect and stop fraudulent transactions in order to prevent losses at a bank (counterfeit currency and checks, identity theft, confidence tricks, etc.). The position also requires tellers to be friendly and interact with the customers, providing them with information about customers' accounts and bank services. Tellers typically work from a station, usually located on a teller line. Most stations have a teller system, which includes cash drawers, receipt validator/printers, proof work sorters, and paperwork used for completing bank transactions. These transactions include:
- Check cashing, depositing, transfers, wire transfers
- Savings deposits, withdrawals
- Issuing negotiable items (cashier's checks, traveler's cheques, money orders, federal draft issuances, etc.)
- Payment collecting
- Promotion of the financial institution's products (loans, mortgages, etc.)
- Business referrals (trust, insurance, lending, etc.)
- Cash advances
- Savings bond redemption. Paper savings bonds can no longer be purchased, only electronic bonds are available for purchase now, so banks can no longer issue bonds.
- Resolving customer issues
- Balancing the vault, cash drawers, ATMs, and TAUs
- Batching and Processing Proof Work (On-Us/Not-On-Us Checks, Payment Coupons, Counter Slips, etc.)
- May include ordering products for the customer (checks, deposit slips, etc.)
In the United States, tellers held approximately 608,000 jobs in 2006. Of these, 1 out of 4 worked part-time. Median annual earnings as of May 2006 were $22,140.
Celebrities who were former Bank Tellers
Many well-known personalities have worked as Bank Tellers including:
- Alex Cullen
- Carlo Conti
- Dave Concepción
- David Draiman
- Deanna Brooks
- Drew Carey
- Jeanette Dousdebes Rubio
- Mike Darnell
- Nicolai Gedda
- Scott Adams
- Will Ferrell