Bankhead House (Jasper, Alabama)
|Location||1400 7th Ave., Jasper, Alabama|
|Area||1.4 acres (0.57 ha)|
|Architectural style||Classical Revival|
|NRHP reference No.||73000375|
|Added to NRHP||June 18, 1973|
The Bankhead House, also known as Sunset and the John Hollis Bankhead House, is a historic mansion in Jasper, Walker County, Alabama. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on June 18, 1973.
The Classical Revival-style house was built for John H. Bankhead in 1910. He served in the Alabama Legislature, as a U.S. Representative, and as a U.S. Senator. His granddaughter, the award-winning actress Tallulah Brockman Bankhead and her sister Eugenia, were raised in the house when Congress was not in session. The pair were largely reared by their grandmother, Tallulah James Brockman Bankhead, after their mother died from sepsis less than a month after Tallulah's birth.
The Classical Revival-style house is a two-story wood frame building with a stone foundation and hipped roof. It features a one-story portico that spans the full width of the front (east) of the house and partially wraps around each side. At the front central bay, the porch projects and transitions to a two-tiered portico that frames the main entrance. A porte cochere projects out from the main porch on the south side of the house. Most of the windows feature one lite per sash, typical of the time the house was built.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. July 9, 2010.
- W. Warner Floyd (September 5, 2008). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination Form: Bankhead House" (PDF). Alabama Historical Commission. Alabama Historical Commission. Retrieved August 2, 2012.[permanent dead link]
- Angela Jill Cooley (March 22, 2011). "John Hollis Bankhead". The Encyclopedia of Alabama. Auburn University. Retrieved August 2, 2012.
- Frances Osborn Robb (September 21, 2011). "Tallulah Bankhead". The Encyclopedia of Alabama. Auburn University. Retrieved August 2, 2012.
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. AL-979, "John Hollis Bankhead House, 1400 Seventh Avenue, Jasper, Walker County, AL", 1 photo, 5 data pages