Banned in New York
|Banned in New York|
|Live album by Greg Osby|
|Recorded||December 1997 at Sweet Basil, NYC|
|Label||Blue Note 7243 4 96860|
|Greg Osby chronology|
Banned in New York is a live album by saxophonist Greg Osby recorded at Sweet Basil in New York City in 1997 for the Blue Note label. The album was recorded by Osby on a MiniDisc recorder placed on a table in front of the band.
|Penguin Guide to Jazz|||
The AllMusic review by Joel Roberts stated, "This is jazz in its purest form: spontaneous, direct, and unfiltered". The Penguin Guide to Jazz listed the album as part of its "Core Collection" recommended for jazz fans. All About Jazz called it "A quality effort, which receives high, marks for representing Osby’s terrific band as a serious “live” act minus some of the normal fluff and cosmetics. Nice work guys! ...Recommended" Writing for JazzTimes, Harvey Pekar stated "A skilled player, Osby's always thinking; even at the fastest tempos he seems in control, and resists the temptation to go on automatic pilot".
All compositions by Greg Osby except as indicated
- "13th Floor" - 12:54
- "Pent-Up House" (Sonny Rollins) - 13:24
- "I Didn't Know About You" (Duke Ellington, Bob Russell) - 11:45
- "Big Foot" (Charlie Parker) - 14:10
- "Big Foot" [excerpt] (Parker) - 2:42
- "52nd Street Theme" (Thelonious Monk) - 3:12
- Greg Osby leader discography, accessed October 8, 2014
- Lyles, R., Greg Osby complete discography, accessed October 8, 2014
- Jazz Discography Project - Greg Osby discography session index, accessed October 8, 2014
- Roberts, J., Allmusic Review accessed October 8, 2014
- Cook, Richard; Brian Morton (2008) . The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings. The Penguin Guide to Jazz (9th ed.). New York: Penguin. p. 1106. ISBN 978-0-14-103401-0.
- Astarita, G., All About Jazz Review, January 1, 1999
- Pekar, H., JazzTimes Review, April 1999