Banner of Truth Trust
|Founder||Iain Murray, Jack Cullum|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|Headquarters location||Edinburgh, Scotland
Carlisle, Pennsylvania, U.S.
|Publication types||Books, magazine|
The Banner of Truth Trust is an evangelical and Reformed Christian non-profit publishing house, structured as a charitable trust and founded in London in 1957 by Iain Murray and Jack Cullum. Its offices are now in Edinburgh, Scotland with a key branch office and distribution point in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. It positions itself within the conservative evangelical wing of the church, and has been described as "an extremely powerful organization within British nonconformist evangelicalism."
The trust publishes a monthly magazine called The Banner of Truth which normally appears eleven times per year, with there being a single issue for August and September. The magazine first appeared in September 1955 and as of December 2010 had reached issue number 566.
The trust has been connected with the revival of interest in evangelical Calvinism in 20th century England. It has promoted Puritan theology and helped resurrect the ideas of Jonathan Edwards. Alister McGrath refers to the "revival in Puritan spirituality that had been borne aloft on the wings of Banner of Truth's inexpensive paperbacks."
The Banner of Truth's commitment to reprinting Puritan writers has drawn criticism. One reviewer of a volume of sermons by Richard Sibbes criticised the Banner of Truth's policy and questioned the need for such reprints.
- "The Story of The Banner of Truth" by Iain H. Murray.
- Charity Commission for England and Wales registered charity 235652.
- Stein, Stephen J. (2007). The Cambridge Companion to Jonathan Edwards. Cambridge University Press. p. 230.
- George, Timothy (2009). J. I. Packer and the Evangelical Future: The Impact of His Life and Thought. Baker. pp. 1900, 1905.
- The Banner of Truth Magazine Monthly Contents
- The Banner of Truth Trust (1990), Index to Banner of Truth, 1955-1989: "index to all issues of The Banner of Truth, the Trust's monthly magazine from the first issue in September 1955."
- The Banner of Truth, Contents, Issue 566, December 2010
- Banner of Truth United Kingdom Conference Schedule.
- Luimes, M. (May–June 2006). "American Banner Of Truth Conference". The Trumpet (Orthodox Christian Reformed Churches in North America).
- Kavanagh, Chris (2004). "Banner of Truth Conference: Sydney 2004" (PDF). Faith in Focus: Magazine of the Reformed Churches of New Zealand 31 (5): 4–5. Retrieved 17 August 2011.
- Moes, Garry J. (2003). Streams Of Civilization: Cultures In Conflict Since The Reformation Until The Third Millennium After Christ, Volume 2. Christian Liberty Press. p. 396.
- Hart, Darryl G.; Lucas, Sean Michael (2007). The Legacy of Jonathan Edwards: American Religion and the Evangelical Tradition. Baker. p. 21.
- Lee, Sang Hyun (2005). The Princeton Companion to Jonathan Edwards. Princeton University Press. p. 305.
- McGrath, Alister (1997). J.I. Packer: A Biography. Baker. p. 218.
- Warren, Keith (November 1982). "Book Reviews". Vox Reformata 39: 74–75.