Banyuwangi International Airport
Banyuwangi International Airport
Bandar Udara Internasional Banyuwangi
|Owner||Government of Indonesia|
|Operator||PT Angkasa Pura II|
|Serves||Banyuwangi Regency, East Java, Java Island, Indonesia|
|Time zone||IWST (UTC+07:00)|
|Elevation AMSL||33.5 m / 110 ft|
Banyuwangi International Airport (Indonesian: Bandar Udara Internasional Banyuwangi) (IATA: BWX, ICAO: WADY (formerly WARB)) is an airport at Blimbingsari, which serves Banyuwangi city and surrounding area in East Java, Indonesia. The airport was formerly known as Blimbingsari Airport. It was opened for operations in December 2010. The airport is termed as the First Green Airport of Indonesia.The Airport is managed by PT Angkasa Pura II (Persero), after being handed over by the Ministry of Transportation on 22 December 2017.
In 2010 the airport only served 7,386 passengers, but in 2017 has served 140,683 passengers or increase by 1,700 percent in 7 years and increase again significantly to 307,157 passengers only in 10 months of 2018.
Development and extension
Construction was initiated in 2002, with vice president Hamzah Haz placing the cornerstone. Cases related to land acquisition resulted in two regents of Banyuwangi - Samsul Hadi and Ratna Ani Lestari being convicted of corruption.
Originally the runway was only 1,400 metres (4,600 ft) in length and could only accommodate small propeller-driven aircraft such as the Cessna 208, but in 2012 it was extended to 1,800 metres (5,900 ft) to allow large turboprop airliners such as the Fokker 50 and ATR 72 to operate from the airport. In 2011 it served only 7,826 passengers, and in 2015 served more than 110,000 passengers. Another expansion and development program was undertaken to convert the airport as an international low Cost Carrier Airport (LCCA). The constructions that has done at the airport includes,
- Extension of runway to accommodate Boeing 737-8 NG, 737-9 ER and Airbus 320,
- Extension of parking apron to 34,000m2 which can accommodate 9 narrow bodied aircraft,
- Extension and widening of runway to 2500x45m2,
- Expansion of parking area from to 5000m2 with capacity of 260 Vehicles), and
- Expansion of airport terminal to 20.000 square meters.
Terminal and runway
The airport terminal is designed to resemble a traditional house from East Java’s Osing tribe, with an open-air concept that reduces dependency on air conditioners. The terminal has an area of about 20,000 square meters, which can accommodate two million passengers annually.The runway of the airport is 2500 x 45 square meters, the apron area (41,000 square meters) can accommodate 9 narrow-bodied aircraft.
Airlines and destinations
|Citilink||Balikpapan, Denpasar/Bali, Jakarta–Soekarno–Hatta, Kuala Lumpur–International, Manado, Surabaya|
|Wings Air||Bandung (begins 8 November 2019), Surabaya|
|1||Surabaya, East Java||28||Citilink, Wings Air|
|2||Jakarta, Tangerang||21||Citilink, Garuda Indonesia|
|3||Manado, North Sulawesi||7||Citilink|
|5||Banjarmasin, South Kalimantan||3||Xpress Air|
|1||Kuala Lumpur–International, Malaysia||7||Citilink|
- :: Direktorat Jenderal Perhubungan Udara ::
- Fanani, Ardian (5 January 2019). "Bandara Banyuwangi Layani 366.000 Penumpang, Naik 92%". detikfinance (in Indonesian). Retrieved 26 May 2019.
- Airport information for Blimbingsari Airport at Transport Search website.
- "Banyuwangi to boast Indonesia's first green airport". The Jakarta Post. Retrieved 12 December 2018.
- Bandara Banyuwangi Kini Dikelola PT Angkasa Pura II
- Haorrahman (December 19, 2018). "Okupansi Menjanjikan, Batik Air Resmi Terbangi Rute Jakarta-Banyuwangi. Ini Jadwalnya".
- "Ketika Banyuwangi Punya Bandara dan Penerbangan Komersial". JPNN (in Indonesian). 30 December 2010. Retrieved 10 September 2018.
- Kartika S Tarigan (October 9, 2016). "Ketua DPR Puji Bandara Blimbingsari yang Lebih Bagus dari Tasmania".
- "Banyuwangi Airport Set to Become Low Cost Carrier Airport". Netral News. Retrieved 23 July 2018.
- "Dorong Pariwisata, Banyuwangi Airport Siap Jadi LCCT". Tribun News. Retrieved 12 December 2018.
- AP II Siapkan Bandara Banyuwangi Jadi Bandara Penyangga Acara IMF-World Bank
- Sudah Dibuka, Sekarang Citilink Terbang Langsung dari Jakarta ke Banyuwangi
- 19 Desember, rute Internasional Kuala Lumpur-Banyuwangi resmi dibuka
- Xpress Air to link Banyuwangi with Banjarmasin
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Banyuwangi Airport.|
|This article about an Indonesian airport is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|