|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2010)|
|Named for||Bhavanarayana Swamy|
|• MLA||Kona Raghupathi|
|• Total||17.92 km2 (6.92 sq mi)|
|Elevation||6 m (20 ft)|
|• Density||3,900/km2 (10,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||AP 07|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Bapatla (SC)|
Bapatla is a town in Guntur District of the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh. It is one of the 12 municipalities in the district. The town is the headquarters of Bapatla mandal and administered under Tenali revenue division. It is located 27 miles (43 km) south of Guntur City.
The coordinates of the town are 15.8889° N, 80.4700° E and is located 8 km from the coast of Bay of Bengal. It is located 49 km from Guntur, about 79 km from the state capital Vijayawada. It is 16 km north to Chirala.
Being very close the coast, the town experiences hot summers and cool winters. The maximum temperature ranges between 40 C to 50 C in summer and the minimum temperature ranges between 18 C - 25 C in winter. The precipitation is very high that this place receives an annual rainfall of about 115 cm of rainfall. In the month of October the town receives a maximum rainfall of 23 cm. 
As of 2011[update] Census of India, the town had a population of 70,777 with 18,216 households. The total population constitute, 34,385 males and 36,392 females —a sex ratio of 1058 females per 1000 males, higher than the national average of 940 per 1000. 6,182 children are in the age group of 0–6 years, of which 3,156 are boys and 3,026 are girls—a ratio of 959 per 1000. The average literacy rate stands at 80.67% with 52,106 literates, significantly higher than the national average of 73.00%........
Government and politics
Politics Bapatla is represented by Bapatla (Assembly constituency) for Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly. Kona Raghupathi is the present MLA of the constituency from YSRCP. The assembly segment in turn is a part of Bapatla (SC) (Lok Sabha constituency), which was won by Malyadri Sriram of Telugu Desam Party.
Bapatla is known for rice trading. There are many rice mills in Bapatla which also covers the surrounding areas. Farming is another occupation. It is also known for its vegetable markets, especially for the quality of Brinjals.
Facilitated by about 15 km wide coastline, Bapatla is very good place for fishermen. Fishing is a major source of income for four major villages in the mandal. Wide varieties of fish, prawns and crabs are found in the town's fish market.
APSRTC operates its bus services to various parts of the state. The town is located on National Highway 214A. Bapatla railway station is located on the Howrah-Chennai main line. It is classified as an B–category station. It is recognised as an Adarsh station in the Vijayawada railway division of South Central Railway zone.
Educational and research
Among its many schools and colleges, Bapatla is known for Bapatla Engineering College, College of Food Science and Technology, Bapatla Polytechnic College, Bapatla College of Arts & Sciences
Research Acharya N. G. Ranga Agricultural University, the Agricultural College, established in 1945, is the oldest Agricultural college in Andhra Pradesh affiliated with Acharya N. G. Ranga Agricultural University. There are also a number of research institutes of this Agricultural University, such as the Rice Research Unit, Cashew Research Station, Saline Water Research Station, among others. The college has a farm of 200 acres at the Guntur Railway Gate. "BPT" varieties of rice, which were known for their fine quality and taste, were developed at the Agricultural College.
Air Force base The Indian Air Force has located about 8 km from Baptala in a town, where commercial flights landing will be from 2 January 2015Suryalanka. The airbase is located on the shore of the Bay of Bengal
With so much history attached to it, 'Bhavanarayana swamy' temple, is believed to be built 1500 years ago, during the Mauryan reign. This is validated from the Telugu inscriptions on the walls of the temple. Its 'Gali Gopuram' was made of single rock which makes the temple more interesting. Chariot festival celebrated every summer brings lot of pilgrims to the town. In 2011 the 'Gali Gopuram' of this temple collapsed and made all the headlines.
Suryalanka Beach is a famous beach at a distance of 8 km from the town, visited by many people. Haritha resorts and restaurant on the beach is run by the government of Andhra Pradesh. The bucolic serenity of the beach is the key factor in dragging natural beauty lovers to this beach.
Every year on 'Karthika pournami', the beach is been visited by more than one lakh people from all over the state.
- "District Census Handbook - Guntur" (PDF). Census of India. pp. 14,46. Retrieved 24 August 2015.
- "Elevation for Bapatla". Veloroutes. Retrieved 1 August 2014.
- "Census 2011" (pdf). The Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 23 July 2014.
- "Guntur District Mandals" (PDF). Census of India. pp. 102, 112. Retrieved 19 January 2015.
- "Bapatla, India Weather Averages - Monthly Average High and Low Temperature - Average Precipitation and Rainfall days - World Weather Online". worldweatheronline.com.
- "Sex Ratio". The Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 29 August 2014.
- "Chapter–3 (Literates and Literacy rate)" (PDF). Registrar General and Census Commissioner of India. Retrieved 29 August 2014.
- "MLA". AP State Portal. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- "Delimitation of Parliamentary and Assembly Constituencies Order, 2008" (pdf). Election Commission of India. p. 22,31. Retrieved 11 October 2014.
- "MP (Lok Sabha)". Government of AP. Retrieved 4 May 2015.
- "National Highways in A.P". AP Online Portal. Retrieved 4 August 2014.
- "Vijayawada Division – a profile" (PDF). Indian Railways. Retrieved 2013-02-13.
- Bapatla Engineering College
- College of Food Science & Technology - Bapatla :: ACHARYA N G RANGA AGRICULTURAL UNIVERSITY ::
- ":: Bapatla Polytechnic College ::". Bpcbapatla.net. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- "The Bapatla College of Arts & Sciences". bcasbapatla.ac.in. Retrieved 23 July 2014.
- :: Acharya N G Ranga Agricultural University ::
- "AIR FORCE STATION Surya Lanka". Wikimapia.org. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- "Bapatla Guntur Pincode". citypincode.in. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bapatla.|