Baptist Health System
In 1903 a group of 30 or more physicians, members of the young Bexar County Medical Society, together with about 30 business and professional men organized the San Antonio Associated Charities which built a four-story hospital on Dallas Street, the Physicians' and Surgeons' Hospital.
Today, Baptist Health System is a major healthcare provider in San Antonio and South Texas, the fourth largest civilian employer in San Antonio; and fully accredited by the Joint Commission on the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO). It is owned by Tenet Healthcare and affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas.
Hospitals and facilities
Baptist Health System includes five acute-care hospitals which offer 1,673 licensed beds:
- Baptist Medical Center in Downtown San Antonio
- Mission Trail Baptist Hospital on the South Side
- North Central Baptist Hospital in the Stone Oak district
- Northeast Baptist Hospital on the eastern fringe of Uptown San Antonio
- St. Luke's Baptist Hospital in the Medical Center
The system also includes:
- Baptist Regional Children's Center
- Baptist Women's Health Center
- HealthLink wellness and fitness center
- Baptist M&S Imaging Centers
- Community health and wellness programs
- Ambulatory services
- Rehabilitation services
- Medical office buildings including the newly opened Westover Baptist Medical Building
- San Antonio AirLife air medical transport
- Baptist Health System School of Health Professions.
Accreditations and memberships
- Baptist Health System is fully accredited by the Joint Commission on the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO).
- The Society of Chest Pain Centers has granted the designation of Accredited Chest Pain Center to each of the five hospitals in the Baptist Health System. Baptist Medical Center, Mission Trail Baptist Hospital, North Central Baptist Hospital, Northeast Baptist Hospital and St. Luke's Baptist Hospital received full accreditation status from the Accreditation Review Committee on November 3, 2005. They are the first, and currently only, Accredited Chest Pain Centers in San Antonio, and are among fewer than 180 in the nation.
- Baptist Health System laboratories are accredited by the College of American Pathologists.
- The Comprehensive Cancer Program of the Baptist Health System is accredited by the American College of Surgeons.
- Baptist M&S Imaging Centers and Baptist Health System imaging departments are accredited by the American College of Radiology.
- The Diabetes Self Management Course of Baptist Health System is Recognized by the American Diabetes Association.
- The inpatient Rehabilitation Centers at St. Luke's Baptist Hospital and Baptist Medical Center are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities.
- San Antonio AirLife is among an elite group of emergency transport services in the U.S. to earn re-accreditation from the Commission on Accreditation of Medical Transport Systems. AirLife, owned jointly by the Baptist Health System and the University Health System, is one of only about 100 transport programs in the nation to meet these standards.
- Bexar County Medical Society Archived October 28, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-06-29. Retrieved 2014-07-05.
- Baptist Health System: A history of compassionate care and service Archived May 6, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- Accreditations & Memberships :: Baptist Health System Archived May 7, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.