Refaeli in 2011
4 June 1985 |
Hod HaSharon, Israel
|Spouse(s)||Arik Weinstein (m. 2003; div. 2005)
Adi Ezra (m. 2015)
|Height||1.75 m (5 ft 8.9 in)|
Bar Refaeli (Hebrew: בר רפאלי; born 4 June 1985) is an Israeli model, television host, actress, and businesswoman.
Refaeli is considered among the most internationally successful models to come from Israel, alongside models such as Nina Brosh and Michaela Bercu. According to Forbes Israel, she was the highest-paid model in Israel in 2013, ahead of the combined modeling income of other Israeli models such as Esti Ginzburg, Gal Gadot, and Shlomit Malka.
Refaeli was born and raised in Hod HaSharon, Israel, to a secular Jewish family. Her parents, Rafi Refaeli and Tzipi (née Levine), own a horse ranch. Her parents were both born in Israel, and her grandparents were immigrants from Europe (Italian Jewish, Lithuanian Jewish, and Polish Jewish). Her mother was a successful model in the 1970s under her maiden name, Tzipi Levine.
Refaeli began modeling at the age of eight months, when she first appeared in commercials. Orthodonture at 12 interrupted her modeling until she was 15, when an Israeli beauty pageant awarded Refaeli "Model of the Year" (2000). She played prominently in campaigns for the fashion brands Castro and Pilpel, and she starred in a Milky pudding commercial.
She has appeared in editorials for French, American, Italian, Spanish, Russian, and Ukrainian Elle, Spanish Vogue, British, Russian, Australian, and Vietnamese Harper's Bazaar, V, French and Dutch L'Officiel, American, British, Italian, German, Spanish, and Indian GQ, i-D, and Allure. She has appeared on the covers of French, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Russian, Belgian, Danish, Swedish, Australian, Latvian, Norwegian, Polish, Bulgarian, Romanian, Slovenian, Croatian, and Turkish Elle, French, Spanish, and Russian Marie Claire, British, Italian, Spanish, German, Portuguese, and Mexican GQ, American, British, Australian, and Serbian Maxim, and Esquire.
Refaeli has appeared in advertising campaigns for Chanel, Escada, Ralph Lauren, Desigual, Andrew Marc, Victoria's Secret, Marks and Spencer, Gap, Moët & Chandon, Hurley, Rampage, True Religion, Lucky Brand, Accessorize, Passionata, Fox, Reebok, Sears, Arrow, Besni, Marco Bicego, and Agua Bendita. She also has appeared in advertising campaigns for non-fashion brands such as Garnier Fructis, Samsung, and Subaru.
Refaeli became the second Israeli model to appear in Sports Illustrated magazine (after Michaela Bercu), in her 2007 debut in its Swimsuit Issue, where she posed with the rock band Aerosmith. Refaeli was the cover model for the 2009 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue. Southwest Airlines painted a bikini-clad Refaeli from that shoot on the side of its Boeing 737, which led some passengers to criticize the airline for what they regarded as prurient, and hence "offensive to families."
On 5 March 2009, Refaeli received the World Style Award presented by the Women's World Awards for her "natural elegance, sense of style and compassion." In October of the same year, Refaeli co-hosted Fashionable Istanbul's press conference, announced its October 2009 fashion event, and appeared in its advèrtisements. FHM voted Refaeli No. 42 in 2008, No. 57 in 2010, and No. 97 in 2011, in its lists of the "100 Sexiest Women."
Maxim placed Refaeli at the very top of its Hot 100 list in 2012. In April 2012, Shalom Life ranked her fourth on its list of the "50 most talented, intelligent, funny, and gorgeous Jewish women in the world." Refaeli has been referred to as a supermodel by Maxim Magazine, The Hollywood Reporter, the Daily Mail, The Algemeiner, The Jerusalem Post, The Independent, and others.
Film and television career
Refaeli co-starred in the Israeli TV drama series Pick Up in 2005. In October 2008, she co-hosted the Bravo special program Tommy Hilfiger Presents Ironic Iconic America, based on the book Ironic Iconic America written by George Lois. She returned as a program host in 2009, this time for MTV's brief revival of House of Style.
In 2011, Refaeli starred in the American-Israeli film Session, directed by Haim Bouzaglo. The film is a psychological thriller that tells the story of a manipulative psychiatrist who becomes obsessed with a new young patient. She also served as a guest judge on cycle four of Germany's Next Topmodel hosted by Heidi Klum. In November 2012 she started her own model casting show Million Dollar Shootingstar on German TV Channel Sat.1.
In January 2013, Refaeli appeared in Go Daddy's Super Bowl XLVII commercial, acting with Jesse Heiman (with whom she intimately kisses) and NASCAR driver and perennial Go Daddy pitchwoman Danica Patrick. In 2013, Refaeli also hosted the first season of The X Factor Israel, which became the most popular music show in Israel, leading to them bringing her back in 2015 for season two. In 2013, Refaeli played a starring role in the French-Israeli crime-caper film Kidon, a comedy in which she stars as a Mossad assassin involved in liquidating a terrorist.
Business and investment career
Refaeli invests in a variety of business ventures in Israel, and has also launched her own.
Refaeli has an ownership stake in a number of fashion companies, such as in the designer glasses manufacturer Carolina Lemke.
In 2011, Refaeli and Dudi Balsar, an attorney and former male model, set up an E-commerce company called Under.me, to sell designer underwear. As well as being its investor, Refaeli runs business development for the venture. By November 2011, the company had raised $1 million in venture capital funds.
Refaeli is one of the main investors behind MyCheck, which processes payments behind smart phones, and which raised $1.7 million in its first financing round. In its second financing round, it raised $4.2 million.
On 16 December 2015, Israeli tax authorities in Tel Aviv detained Refaeli and her mother overnight for questioning related to potential tax evasion; she was accused of failing to pay income tax on two vehicles that she received as compensation for posing in pictures with the vehicles, and for evading taxes by disguising her Israeli residency by renting a luxury apartment in Tel Aviv through relatives.
In 2016, Refaeli lodged a police complaint for identity theft with the Israel Police after a news item in Calcalist linked her to suspicious money transfers involving Amir Bramly, based on leaked banking correspondence. Bramly sued the Calcalist reporter in relation to the media coverage.
Charitable and public service activities
She led a free campaign under the slogan "One Bag Less" to reduce the use of plastic bags in Israel. In 2009, she led an unpaid campaign on behalf of the Israel Water Authority, to educate the public about water use and conservation.
On 7 June 2013, Refaeli hosted a beach party in Tel Aviv for participants of Tel Aviv Pride, the city's gay pride parade. In November 2013, Refaeli spoke out in support of legislation for civil marriages in Israel, as part of a campaign for the proposed Knesset bill.
Refaeli once dated Baywatch actor David Charvet. In November 2005, she began a relationship with Leonardo DiCaprio after meeting him at a party in Las Vegas thrown for members of U2. In the course of their trip to Israel in March 2007, the couple met with Israeli president Shimon Peres and visited Refaeli's hometown of Hod HaSharon. The relationship ended in June 2009. In 2010, numerous reports indicated that their romance had been rekindled, but in May 2011, it was reported that the couple had ended their romantic relationship, though they would remain friends.
Refaeli got engaged to Israeli businessman Adi Ezra in March 2015. She has said she plans to raise "a big Jewish family" with him. The couple were married in Israel on 24 September 2015. They have a daughter named Liv Ezra, who was born in August 2016. In March 2017, Refaeli announced via social media that she was expecting her second child.
Avoidance of military service
As early as 2004 Refaeli received criticism in Israel for avoiding service in the army. At the time model Agam Rodberg said: "The way Bar Rafaeli [sic] evaded army service wasn't right. It's worth trying to serve in the army, and only if you don't feel good there to try and do something."
In 2007, it was reported that Refaeli had evaded the draft by marrying family acquaintance Arik Weinstein in 2003, and divorcing him soon afterwards, to avoid military service in the Israel Defense Forces (IDF), which is mandatory in Israel for unmarried secular Jewish women over the age of 18.
The Israeli Forum for the Promotion of Equal Share in the Burden threatened to boycott the fashion chain Fox if they hired Refaeli. The two sides reached a compromise in which Refaeli agreed to visit injured IDF soldiers whenever she is in Israel, and actively encourage enlistment in the army. Refaeli later said, "I don't regret not enlisting, because it paid off big time. That's just the way it is: celebrities have other needs. I hope my case has influenced the army." She also said: "Israel or Uganda, what difference does it make? It makes no difference to me. Why is it good to die for our country? What, isn't it better to live in New York? Why should 18-year-old kids have to die? It's dumb that people have to die so that I can live in Israel."
In 2009, while speaking in support of enlisting, fellow Israeli model Esti Ginzburg criticized Refaeli for evading military service. In 2011, Refaeli was featured on the cover of Italian GQ's war-themed May 2011 issue. Refaeli's avoidance of military service was again raised in 2013, this time by IDF Brigadier General Yoav Mordechai, who criticized the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for casting Refaeli in a 2013 advertisement. Mordechai maintained that the use of Refaeli as an "official representative of Israel" sent a "negative message" to Israeli society.
In 2014, during Operation Protective Edge, Refaeli frequently expressed solidarity and appreciation of Israeli citizens serving in the Israeli Army with postings on her social network accounts, and by posting selfies of her together with smiling Israeli soldiers.
- Bar Refaeli Slams Reports Saying She Can't Find a Man: "I'm Single, Happy and Loving It!"
- Marilyn Agency - BAR REFAELI
- MP MANAGEMENT MILANO - Bar Refaeli
- Bar Refaeli | Premier Model Management
- Bar Refaeli | Uno models Barcelona & Madrid
- BAR REFAELI - Model Management
- Wilhelmina International | bar refaeli los angeles image portfolio
- PARS Management - BAR REFAELI
- Bar R - Stockholmsgruppen
- Vic likes to be anonymous Orit Merlin-Rosenzweig, 21.05.12 xnet
- "הדוגמניות המרוויחות ביותר בישראל" [Top 10 most profitable models in Israel] (in Hebrew). Forbes Israel. June 2013. Retrieved 18 July 2015.
- Caspi, David. "Supermodel Bar Refaeli to Host 'X Factor' Israel". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 24 November 2013.
- "Isn't it better to live in New York? An Israeli Supermodel Speaks". InterfaithFamily.
- Burstein, Nathan (9 October 2007). "The 'uncomfortable' role model". The Jerusalem Post. Retrieved 16 March 2011.[dead link]
- "Pop Culture Q&A". Sports Illustrated. 7 March 2011. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "Bar Refaeli Model Profile". Retrieved 6 August 2010.
- "Supermodel Bar Refaeli – the first international Zionist celebrity".
- "SI.com – Bar Refaeli". Sports illustrated. 7 March 2011. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- Markazi, Arash (10 February 2009). "For cover girl Bar Refaeli, life is about to change". FanNation. Archived from the original on 13 February 2009. Retrieved 10 February 2009.
- "Southwest Paints Swimsuit Model on Plane". PopSci.com.au. 12 February 2009. Archived from the original on 14 February 2009. Retrieved 12 February 2009.
- "Southwest's Sports Illustrated Plane". Fox News Channel. Retrieved 2 May 2009.
- "Southwest's Sports Illustrated Plane Featuring Bar Refaeli Is Offending Passengers". Fox News Channel. 7 April 2010. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "Leonardo's girlfriend face of Accessorize". Marie Claire. 27 February 2008. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "Bar Refaeli making her Canadian debut with Garnier Fructis Style". CNW. 25 February 2011. Archived from the original on 24 April 2011. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "Bar Refaeli to receive Women's World Style Award". Ynetnews. 20 June 1995. Retrieved 31 August 2011.
- Istanbul meets the fashion world with Fashionable Istanbul. Istanbulview.com. Retrieved 7 January 2011.
- Bar Refaeli at FHM.com Archived 4 June 2011 at the Wayback Machine., 4 February 2011.
- Hughes, Sarah Anne (22 May 2012). "Bar Refaeli, Naya Rivera and Stephen Colbert make Maxim's 'Hot 100' list". The Washington Post. Retrieved 23 May 2012.
- Ashley Baylen (12 April 2012). "Top 50 Hottest Jewish Women (10–1) – Page2". Shalom Life. Archived from the original on 27 July 2013. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- Leading index accounts for March 2017
- Thielman, Sam (24 June 2008). "Bravo for Tommy Hilfiger, Radical". Variety. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "House of Style". MTV. Archived from the original on 11 February 2010. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "Bar Refaeli Typecast as Sushi Waitress in First Feature Film!". forward.com. 19 January 2011. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "Million Dollar Shooting Star". sat1.de. 22 April 2014.
- Bates, Daniel (1 February 2013). "The luckiest nerd in the world: Geeky actor reveals how it took SIXTY-FIVE takes to film lingering kiss with supermodel Bar Refaeli in Super Bowl ad". Daily Mail. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- "He's eating her alive! Bar Refaeli kisses a geeky extra in cringe-inducing Super Bowl advert". Daily Mail. 1 February 2013. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- Krupnick, Ellie (29 May 2013). "Bar Refaeli 'X Factor' Host Gig Will Kick Off Show in Israel". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 9 November 2013.
- They’d done it by Hannah Brown, The Jerusalem Post, 7 November 2013
- Castro in Talks to Buy 50% of Hoodies Apparel Chain for $52m, Haaretz, Adi Dovrat-Meseritz 21 July 2016
- Feldman, Batya (24 October 2011). "Bar Refaeli's e-commerce lingerie co Undeez raises $1m". GLOBES. Archived from the original on 29 October 2011. Retrieved 14 November 2011.
- Bar Refaeli's e-commerce lingerie company raises $1 million, The Jerusalem Post, By BATYA FELDMAN 25 October 2011
- Bar Refaeli’s Startup Mika Look Raises $1.2M nocamels.com, 23 July 2013
- Bar Refaeli invests in smartphone payment co MyCheck Archived 3 December 2013 at the Wayback Machine. by Tzahi Hoffman, Globes, 3 September 12
- Israeli startups on way to second record-breaking quarter in row Inbal Orpaz, 18 October 2013, Haaretz
- "Bar Refaeli suspected of tax evasion in Israel". Fox News Channel. 17 December 2015. Retrieved 17 December 2015.
- The Singaporan secret of Bar Rafaeli and Amir Bramly, Calcalist, 10.01.16
- Supermodel Bar Refaeli alleges identity theft, Time of Israel, January 14, 2016
- Bramly sues 1 million shekels from Calcalist reporter: "published news items with libel"
- Fay, Greer (17 January 2008). "Market Wise". The Jerusalem Post. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- How Israel beat the drought by David Horowitz, The Times of Israel, February 2013
- "Refaeli stands up for gays... at a urinal". The Times of Israel.
- Bar Refaeli supports civil marriage bill by Ashley Baylen Published: 11.20.13, 15:24
- "20th Maccabiah Games open with spectacular Jerusalem ceremony" - Jerusalem Post
- "Athletes make last medal pushes" - Jerusalem Post
- "Leo and Bar. What's Going On?". Retrieved 15 August 2008.
- ""Israeli Leader Asks Leonardo DiCaprio for Help". People. Retrieved 7 January 2011.
- Leonardo DiCaprio is a Model Man Archived 3 September 2009 at the Wayback Machine.
- "It really is a Happy New Year for Leonardo DiCaprio and Bar Refaeli as the couple rekindle their on/off relationship". Daily Mail. London. 2 January 2010. Archived from the original on 5 January 2010. Retrieved 6 January 2010.
Last year they called a halt to their relationship, apparently, it seemed, for good. But, if these new photographs are anything to go by, Leonardo DiCaprio and Bar Refaeli appear to be back on track.
- "Leonardo DiCaprio, Bar Refaeli getting serious?". The Indian Express. Delhi. 6 January 2010. Retrieved 6 January 2010.
The couple, who had been dating on and off for the past three years, was spotted canoodling together over New Year's weekend in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, which topped off a week-long getaway.
- Miller, Tracy (2 January 2010). "Leonardo DiCaprio and Sports Illustrated model Bar Refaeli hook up again for New Year's". Daily News. New York. Archived from the original on 5 January 2010. Retrieved 6 January 2010.
Leo and Bar also enjoyed a 'secret' romantic getaway in the Bahamas in late November, according to multiple reports, sparking rumors they'd decided to work it out.
- "Bar Refaeli back on the single market". Fashion Model Directory. 12 May 2011. Retrieved 20 May 2011.
- Bar Refaeli to get married in September | The Times of Israel
- Bar Refaeli's Wedding Date Revealed! Plus, Details on Her Super-Fancy Nuptials: Get the Scoop | E! News Canada
- Bar Refaeli gives birth to a girl in Tel Aviv - Culture - Haaretz
- Bar Refaeli Welcomes Daughter Liv – Moms & Babies – Celebrity Babies and Kids - Moms & Babies - People.com
- Bar Refaeli gives birth to baby girl | Fox News
- Bar Refaeli on Instagram: â€œSomething's cooking ...â€?
-  Overheard, March 2004, Haaretz
- Bar Refaeli to get married in September
- "Dodging IDF paid off big time". Archived from the original on 21 August 2008. Retrieved 15 August 2008.
- The Encyclopedia of the Arab-Israeli Conflict: A Political, Social, and Military History, Spencer C. Tucker, Priscilla Roberts, (ABC-CLIO, 12 May 2008) page 508
- "Bar Refaeli: IDF's new 'enlistment officer'". Retrieved 15 August 2008.
- Weiss, Shari (5 May 2011). "Bar Refaeli topless in GQ Italia's military-themed issue: Israeli model once labeled a draft-dodger". Daily News. New York. Retrieved 11 May 2011.
- Israeli models Refaeli and Ginzburg at war over IDF Archived 5 October 2009 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Israeli supermodels in catwalk spat over draft-dodging". The Independent.
- Bergin, Olivia. "Israel's Defense Forces take issue with Bar Refaeli's new role". The Telegraph. Retrieved 21 September 2014.
- "Rihanna, Joey Barton and Wonder Woman: the celebrities who have taken sides over Gaza". The Daily Telegraph. 30 July 2014.
- "Gal Gadot, Bar Refaeli express support for IDF troops in Gaza". The Jerusalem Post.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bar Refaeli.|