||The examples and perspective in this article deal primarily with the United States and do not represent a worldwide view of the subject. (May 2014)|
In the United States
As of April 2010, the Metro-North Railroad has not committed to replacing the 1970s-era cars now used by commuters from Manhattan to Connecticut, when the new M-8 cars are rolled out during 2010. The M-8 was designed by Cesar Vergara, a train designer from Ridgefield, Connecticut, who also provided a design for a modern bar car.
The last bar cars are set to be retired in May 2014.
Formerly, a bar car service (officially, "refreshment car") ran on 3 of Chicago's Metra lines: the Milwaukee District/North Line, the Milwaukee District/West Line, and the Rock Island District line. The last service was on August 29, 2008, when the last contracts expired.
Canadian National Railways's Rapido service from Toronto to Montreal, for a brief time during the late 1960s and 1970s, had what was known as a "Bistro" car. In the "Bistro" car, piano entertainment accompanied the service of alcohol beverage in special coaches configured for the purpose with their windows obscured to prevent platform patrons from observing the festivities and to create a low light environment .
Contemporary services on Via Rail include complimentary unlimited alcoholic beverages served at your seat in Business Class on Corridor trains. Alcoholic beverages are available for at-seat purchase/service in Economy Class on all remote services trains. On long-distance trains such as The Canadian and The Ocean, alcoholic beverages are available for purchase in the Skyline, Park, and Dining Cars. Service to Prestige Class passengers is complimentary.
- Grynbaum, Michael M. (April 20, 2010). "One for the Road? Bar Cars May Face a Last Call". The New York Times. Retrieved 2011-09-17.
- Williams, Brian (May 8, 2014). "Boozy Commuter Train Retires Legendary Bar Cars". NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams (NBC). Retrieved May 8, 2014.
- Thomas, Monifa; Donovan, Lisa (August 27, 2008). "Last call for bar cars: Regulars mourn as Metra plans to end drink service". Chicago Tribune.
- Wronski, Richard (August 27, 2008). "Metra says so long to its rail saloons". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2011-09-17.
- Daily schedule for trains with bar cars on the Metro-North New Haven bound line
- Barcar.com - fan site
- Inside Metro-North M2 barcar
|This rail-transport related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|