Barabanki Junction railway station
|Indian Railway Junction Station|
Barabanki Junction (Barabanki city side)
|Location||Barabanki city & Banki town, Barabanki, Uttar Pradesh
|Owned by||North Eastern Railway of Indian Railways (since 1953)|
|Operated by||Northern Railway & North Eastern Railway|
|Structure type||Standard (on ground station)|
|Zone(s)||Northern Railway & North Eastern Railway|
|Opened||1 April 1872|
|Previous names||Indian Branch Rly. Co. (1896-1953)
* Cawnpore-Burhwal Railway(1896-1943)
* Cawnpore-Barabanki Railway(1943-1953)
Barabanki Junction (Hindi: बाराबंकी जंक्शन) or Barabanki station is the intercity rail station and a commuter rail hub in the Indian city of Barabanki. It has been important junction since British days. In its category it is one of the most busiest stations in India. The Barabanki Junction Railway Station is on the Delhi-Gorakhpur broad gauge route in Uttar Pradesh. Barabanki Junction is also the main hub for the Barabanki-Lucknow Suburban Railway. Barabanki railway station lies in the zone of highest density stations.
The station became operational on 1 April 1872 with the opening of Burhwal-Barabanki section. It got connected to Lucknow on 24 November 1896 with the opening of Daliganj-Barabanki section. The station underwent major renovation in 1940s.
Of the 301 miles of the Bengal and North Western Railway main line was 17 miles consisting of following section which was used to connect Barabanki from Burhwal:
- Burwhal-Barabanki line (17 miles)
- Daliganj-Barabanki line (18 miles)
- Daliganj to Barabanki (Metre gauge) opened 24 November 1896
- Northern Railway Budget section,
- Barabanki-Lucknow section: additional broad gauge line and other connected works
- North Eastern Railway,
- Barabanki-Samastipur section: conversion of metre gauge section via Muzzafarpur into broad gauge outside station parking stand.
Electrification of tracks at Barabanki Jn took place in two phases spread across span of almost ten years.
Phase I of electrification of tracks passing through Barabanki Jn took place in 2002-03 in two steps,
- Step 1 - Safedabad-Barabanki
Electrification of tracks between Safedabad railway station and Barabanki Jn was completed on 29 September 2002.
- Step 2 - Barabanki Yard
Electrification of tracks at Barabanki Yard was completed on 29 March 2003.
Phase II of electrification of 30 km of tracks from Barabanki Jn to Burhwal Jn (section of Gorakhpur-Lucknow route) took place in 2010-11 and got completed in May 2011.
Barabanki station have two yards one at Faizabad route side and other at Gorakhpur route side. This yard used for load and unload purpose of commodities mainly coal, fertilizer, cement, stone, food grains etc.
Routes from Barabanki Junction
- Lucknow Jn → Barabanki Jn → gonda basti Gorakhpur jn chhpra jn
- Lucknow → Barabanki Jn → Faizabad Jn
- Barabanki Jn → Barabanki Sugar Mill → Barabanki FCI
Trains passing through Barabanki Junction
Daily 125 trains pass through Barabanki Junction. Normally around six thousand passengers pass through this railway station, this number can be higher on special occasions e.g. during season of Kumbh Mela 2013, on 7, 8 and 9 February 2013, 8500, 8700 and 8000 passengers travelled from Barabanki to Lucknow railway station to catch trains for Allahabad as there is no direct train from Barabanki to Allahabad.
- Indian Railways
- Barabanki-Lucknow Suburban Railway
- Lucknow-Kanpur Suburban Railway
- Cawnpore-Burhwal Railway
- Cawnpore-Barabanki Railway
- The 17 miles long Burwhal to Barabanki broad gauge line was opened on 1 April 1872
- [IRFCA] Electrification History from CORE
- India Railway Police Committee (1921). "India Railway Police Committee Report, Volumes 1-2". Printed at the Government Monotype Press. p. 277. Retrieved 2013-06-30.
- "Transport Geography of Uttar Pradesh, Issue 2 of N.G.S.I. research publication". 1966. National Geographical Society of India. p. 44. Retrieved 2013-06-30.
- "Explanatory Memorandum on the Railway Budget of the Government of India". India Railway Board. Government of India Press. 1981. pp. 37, 39. Retrieved 2013-06-30.
- Railways electrifies Barabanki-Burhwal route, The Times of India, 15 May 2011, 03.38pm IST
- "यहां तो सामान्य दिनों में भी रहती है अव्यवस्था (in Hindi)". Dainik Jagran. 12 February 2013. Retrieved 14 February 2013.
- घोषणाओं का पुलिंदा ढो रहा बाराबंकी जंक्शन (in Hindi), Dainik Jagran, 22 Feb 2012
- "Kanpur gets Memu train to Barabanki". The Times of India. 2013-06-30. Retrieved 2013-07-01.