Barack Obama Male Leadership Academy
|Barack Obama Male Leadership Academy|
|4730 South Lancaster Road
Dallas, Texas, Dallas County 75216
|Motto||Believe. Achieve. Succeed.|
|Sister school||Irma Lerma Rangel Young Women's Leadership Academy|
|School district||Dallas Independent School District|
Barack Obama Male Leadership Academy at B.F. Darrell (BOMLA) is a magnet secondary school for boys located in the Oak Cliff area of Dallas, Texas. It is a part of the Dallas Independent School District. After the Irma Lerma Rangel Young Women's Leadership School, it is DISD's second single gender school. The school, which occupies the campus of the former B.F. Darrell Elementary School, is named after President of the United States Barack Obama, in honor of the fact that he was the first black President. The former Darrell Vanguard campus was renovated until Obama opened. It opened in August 2011 with grades 6 through 9. Each subsequent year a grade level will be added until the school gets grade 12. The school had 205 students during its first year of operation. The school was dedicated on November 11, 2011.
A prospective student needs to meet entrance requirements before being considered for admission. He must have sufficient grade point averages in the core classes and score within the fortieth percentile in his examinations, such as the State of Texas Assessment of Academic Readiness (STAAR) or the Iowa Tests of Basic Skills (ITBS). If a prospective student meets the requirements, he will take an examination measuring his writing and mathematics skills.
Obama offers classes in Spanish, Mandarin Chinese, Latin, and robotics. 8th grade students have "accelerated curriculum" schedules. All students have access to pre-Advanced Placement classes. Students are expected to maintain an average of 85 and above. All students are required to attend Saturday Academy once a month for enrichment and academic support.
Students are required to address teachers using the standard "Mister" "Miss" or "Mrs." honorifics. Students are required to use the honorific "Brother." For instance John Smith would be "Brother John Smith" and Fred Jones would be "Brother Fred Jones." Faculty members also use the "brother" honorific to address students.
Students are divided into four different groups called "Houses." The Houses represent the four different symbols from the school crest. The House of Alliance is represented by hands shaking, the House of Decree is represented by an open book, the House of Expedition is represented by the winged-foot and the House of Justice is represented by scales. Students are assigned their House when they arrive at the campus and remain in their House until graduation. Each House also has teacher and staff advisors.
Students are required to wear school uniforms. The uniform includes a blue oxford shirt, a tie, slacks, a black belt, student identification badge, and a jacket. All students are required to wear navy blazers while students are in hallways or common areas, but students may remove the blazers while in class. Middle school students wear gray ties, while high school students wear navy ties.
Lacrosse is currently available for 6th-8th grade students through a partnership with Bridge Lacrosse. Additionally, sixth-grade students can participate on our basketball team. Students are also allowed to participate in sports at their home school location if the sport is not available at Barack Obama.
- Williams, Shawn P. "DISD’s Barack Obama Male Leadership Academy says "Yes We Can"." Dallas South News. March 15, 2011. Retrieved on September 2, 2011.
- Williams, Shawn P. "Barack Obama Male Leadership Academy: DISD All-Male School Opens With High Expectations.' Dallas South News. August 24, 2011. Retrieved on September 2, 2011.
- "B. F. Darrell Elementary Attendance Zone." Dallas Independent School District. Retrieved on September 3, 2011.
- "First all-male public school in Texas opens with more than 200 students." Dallas Independent School District. Retrieved on September 6, 2011.
- Heinz, Frank. "New School Year Brings A Lot of Changes." NBC DFW. Monday August 22, 2011. Retrieved on September 6, 2011.
- "Parent/Student Handbook 2011-2012." (Archived 2012-09-04 at WebCite) Barack Obama Male Leadership Academy. p. 18. Retrieved on November, 2012. "Salutations Students will address each adult as either Mr. or Mrs. Students will address each other as ―i.e. Brother John Davis. ‖ Additionally, students will be addressed as ―i.e. Mr. or Brother John Davis by faculty and staff members."
- "Parent/Student Handbook 2011-2012." (Archived 2012-09-04 at WebCite) Barack Obama Male Leadership Academy. p. 13. Retrieved on September 4, 2012.
- Whitmire, Richard. "New Boys School in Dallas." Education Week. August 2, 2011.
- Haag, Matthew. "For southern Dallas’ Barack Obama Academy, a perfect graduation rate and lifetime bonds" (" (Archive). The Dallas Morning News. June 20, 2015. Updated June 21, 2015.
- Boardman, Ananda. "DISD opens all-boy magnet school with math and science focus" (" (Archive). The Dallas Morning News. September 5, 2011. Updated September 6, 2011.