Barack the Barbarian
|Barack the Barbarian|
Cover of Barack the Barbarian 1 (June 2009 )
|Publisher||Devil's Due Publishing|
|Publication date||June 2009 – present|
|No. of issues||5|
|Main character(s)||Barack Obama|
|Written by||Larry Hama|
|Volume 1||ISBN 1-934692-79-4|
Barack the Barbarian originally appeared in a four-issue mini-series. The story features the 44th President of the United States, Barack Obama as a Conan the Barbarian-style figure. It also features other politicians like Sarah Palin, George W. Bush, and Dick Cheney in fictional roles.
The series was followed by a one-shot, The Fall of Red Sarah.
In November 2008, one of Obama's advisers gave an interview to journalist Jon Swaine of The Daily Telegraph titled, "Barack Obama: The 50 facts you might not know". In the interview, it emerged that Obama collects Conan the Barbarian.
The idea for the series originated with Devil's Due publisher Josh Blaylock who explained that "We didn't want to be completely slapsticky. It is definitely partly a gimmick, but we wanted to do something clever with [the Obama comics trend]." He contacted Larry Hama with his idea for a series called Obama the Barbarian, and Hama described how the idea developed during the course of the phonecall:
First off, you should change it to Barack the Barbarian, and second, I'm not interested in writing a Mad Magazine style parody and that it would have to be more in line with the more polemical stuff of Swift, Twain and Voltaire (not that I can pull off anything like they could,) and third, that my own leanings are towards Barack and that would be reflected in what I write – and Josh said 'fine'.
The comic books are being collected into a trade paperback:
- Barack the Barbarian Volume 1: Quest for the Treasure of Stimuli (144 pages, December 2009, ISBN 1-934692-79-4)
- Arrant, Chris (May 12, 2009). "Barack the Barbarian? Behind the Latest Obama Comic". Newsarama. Retrieved November 26, 2009.
- Goellner, Caleb (July 28, 2009). "CCI: Devil's Due Publishing". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved November 26, 2009.
Next up was one of Devil's Due's most publicized titles, the political satire and Conan homage "Barack the Barbarian: Quest for the Treasure of Stimuli"
- Manker, Rob (April 4, 2009). "Barack Obama comic books: 'Barack the Barbarian' and 'Drafted: One Hundred Days". Chicago Tribune. Archived from the original on 2010-05-28. Retrieved August 7, 2009.
- Mail Foreign Service (April 7, 2009). "Meet Barack the Barbarian taking on scantily clad nemesis Sarah Palin in new comic superhero role". Daily Mail. Retrieved August 7, 2009.
- Spillius, Alex (April 7, 2009). "Barack Obama and Sarah Palin appear in comic series". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved November 26, 2009.
- Flood, Alison (April 8, 2009). "Obama battles Red Sarah in comic clash". The Guardian. Retrieved November 26, 2009.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-10-20. Retrieved 2011-05-03.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Swaine, Jon (November 7, 2008). "Barack Obama: The 50 facts you might not know". The Daily Telegraph.
- Barack the Barbarian webcomic at Devil's Due
- Review: Barack The Barbarian #1 By Larry Hama And Tim Seeley for Devil’s Due by Rich Johnston, Bleeding Cool, June 23, 2009
- Barack the Barbarian #1, Newsarama Blog, July 4, 2009