Barbados Community College
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (November 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
||This article needs more links to other articles to help integrate it into the encyclopedia. (December 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Motto||Many Studies - One Brotherhood|
|Principal||Gladstone A. Best|
|Location||St. Michael, Barbados|
|Campus||'Eyrie' Campus, Industry Services Unit, The Hospitality Institute|
|Sports||Athletics, badminton, basketball, cricket, futsal, netball, volleyball, table tennis, road tennis, tennis|
- 1 Origin
- 2 Today
- 3 College radio
- 4 Programmes of study
- 5 See also
- 6 References
Founded in 1968, the Barbados Community College came to be as a result of an Act of Parliament aimed at making post secondary education more accessible to the Barbadian public. In 1990, the Act of Parliament was amended to allow for the following designations to be conferred upon students: Bachelor's degrees, Associate degrees, Diplomas and Certificates. Prior to this act, these degrees were available only at the University of the West Indies Cave Hill Campus.
The college's radio station, Radio GED, gives students of mass communication broadcasting experience. The station has a 20-watt transmitter reaching a six-mile radius. The radio station is a student operated initiative and offers a combination of talk radio and campus news.
Programmes of study
- Arts programmes awarding Major's are accounting, economics, law, government and political studies
- Applied Arts programmes awarding an associate degree in applied arts are business studies, marketing, finance, public sector management, office management and administration
- Certificate courses offered in the division of commerce include paralegal studies, private secretary's diploma, court reporting, mutual funds
- Bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts include studio art and graphic design.
- Majors in associate degree in Fine Arts include fashion design, theatre arts, music, visual arts, and dance.
- Certificate courses in Fine Arts include fashion, and interior decorating.
- Short courses are offered in Fine Arts including painting and drawing, computer graphics, art appreciation, beginners pottery, and advanced pottery.
General and continuing education
- Majors in associate degree in Applied Arts include mass communication, psychology, and social work.
- Students in this area of study are well equipped with knowledge of print and broadcast journalism as well as communications. This discipline also encompasses studies in public relations, film & television production and photography.
- Areas of study within the hospitality institute include hospitality and tourism management, culinary arts, hospitality studies, tourism and travel, catering, and 'The Homemaker Programme'.
- Part-time programmes offered include bar & wine services, basic desserts & pastries, basic housekeeping procedures, basic trade cookery, caribbean tourism, food & beverage controls, food & beverage management, food & beverage service, hotel reception & sales procedures, basic & advanced cake decoration, marketing of hospitality services, supervisory housekeeping procedures, supervisory management, and airport operations.
The degree offered in this division is an associate degree in Sport Management.
- Associate degree programmes offered include French for business & tourism, German for business & tourism, Italian for business & tourism, Spanish for business & tourism, French with themes, and Spanish with themes.
- Non-associate degree programmes include English as a foreign language, beginner's conversational, intermediate conversational and specialized programmes in French, German, Italian, and Spanish.
- General conversation evening programmes are offered in Chinese, French, German, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish.
Long-term courses include:
- Bachelor's Degree in Education (Technical/Vocational Education)
- Post-graduate Diploma in Technical Vocational Education
- Associate degree in Arts/Science (Information Technology Major)
- Associate degree in Applied Science (Computer Studies)
- Certificate in Information Technology
- Certificate courses offered include multimedia applications, visual basic, computer communications and networking, C and C++ programming, web page authoring, data warehousing, and database and management design.
- Associate degrees offered include environmental health inspection, pharmacy, medical laboratory technology, general nursing, and health information management.
- Diploma level courses include midwifery, public health administration, shortened registered nursing, shortened mental health nursing, meat and other foods.
- Certificate level courses include pre-health sciences, nursing assistants, paramedics, and emergency medical technicians.
- Associate degrees offered include literatures in English, geography, history, and sociology.
Certificate courses offered include librarianship.
- Associate degrees offered include agriculture, biology, chemistry, environmental science, mathematics, and physics.
- "Barbados Community College at Totally Barbados". Totallybarbados.com. Retrieved 2012-08-16.
- "History | About & Contact Info | The Barbados Community College". Bcc.edu.bb. Retrieved 2012-08-16.
- "About The Barbados Community College | About & Contact Info | The Barbados Community College". Bcc.edu.bb. Retrieved 2012-08-16.
- "Programmes Of Study | Commerce | Divisions & Departments | The Barbados Community College". Bcc.edu.bb. Retrieved 2012-08-16.
- "Why Pursue Fine Arts? | Fine Arts | Divisions & Departments | The Barbados Community College". Bcc.edu.bb. Retrieved 2012-08-16.
- "Programmes Of Study | General & Continuing Education | Divisions & Departments | The Barbados Community College". Bcc.edu.bb. Retrieved 2012-08-16.
- Tracy HinksonHospitality Institute. "Programmes Of Study | Hospitality Institute | Divisions & Departments | The Barbados Community College". Bcc.edu.bb. Retrieved 2012-08-16.
- "Programmes of Study | Barbados Language Centre | Divisions & Departments | The Barbados Community College". Bcc.edu.bb. Retrieved 2012-08-16.
- "Programmes Of Study | Computer Studies | Divisions & Departments | The Barbados Community College". Bcc.edu.bb. Retrieved 2012-08-16.
- "Programmes Of Study | Health Sciences | Divisions & Departments | The Barbados Community College". Bcc.edu.bb. Retrieved 2012-08-16.
- Heather BarkerLiberal Arts. "Programmes Of Study | Liberal Arts | Divisions & Departments | The Barbados Community College". Bcc.edu.bb. Retrieved 2012-08-16.