|Member of the Kansas House of Representatives
from the 44th district
November 14, 1944 |
|Alma mater||Webster College
Kansas State University
Prior to her election to the House, Ballard served on the Lawrence School Board from 1985-1993. Ballard is treasurer of the Kansas African American Legislative Caucus.
She has a BMeEd (1967) from Webster College, and an MS (1976) and PhD (1980) from Kansas State University. She has worked as an elementary school teacher, and from 1980 until 2004 was Dean of Students at the University of Kansas as well as Director of the Emily Taylor Women's Resource Center. She is now Associate Director of Civic Engagement & Outreach for the Dole Institute of Politics.
During the Legislative Sessions of 2013-2014, Rep. Ballard served on the following legislative committees:
- Calendar and Printing (Ranking minority member)
- Robert G. (Bob) Bethell Joint Committee on Home and community Based Services and KanCare Oversight
- Social Services Budget (Ranking minority member
The top 5 donors to Ballard's 2008 campaign are mostly professional organizations:
- 1. Kansas Contractors Assoc - $1,000
- 2. Kansas Hospital Assoc - $500
- 3. Kansas Assoc of Realtors - $500
- 4. Ruffin, Phil - $500
- 5. Chesapeake Operating Inc - $500
- Barbara W. Ballard Vote Smart. Retrieved June 28, 2009.
- Biographical Profile for Barbara W. Ballard Retrieved June 28, 2009.
- "Kathleen Sebelius part of upcoming Dole Institute lecture series". University of Kansas. February 4, 2015. Retrieved March 24, 2015.
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Barbara Ballard Biography Retrieved June 28, 2009.
- Kansas State Legislature - Representative Barbara Ballard, 2015-2016 Retrieved October 19, 2015
- Kansas State Legislature - Representative Barbara Ballard, 2013-2014 Retrieved October 19, 2015
- Follow the Money - 2008 Campaign Contributions Retrieved June 28, 2009.