November 23, 1960 |
|Alma mater||University of Nevada, Las
University of Arizona
Barbara Buckley (born November 23, 1960 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) is an attorney and Democratic Party politician who served as a member of the Nevada Assembly, representing Clark County District 8 from 1994 to 2011. She served as Assembly Speaker from 2007 to 2011, the first woman in Nevada history to serve as Speaker. She also served as Majority Leader of the Assembly from 2001 to 2007. Recently enacted term limits prevented Buckley from seeking re-election in the 2010 elections. She currently serves as executive director of Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada and as the executive director of Clark County Legal Services in Las Vegas, Nevada. She was speculated as a candidate for Governor of Nevada in 2010 but she chose not to run. She considered running in 2014 but again declined to do so, saying that "I am not getting back into the political world".
Buckley is married to Chan Kendrick and together they have two children named Aiden and Ford.
- Buckley could be next Speaker
- map District 8 Map
- Clark County Legal Services | Free Las Vegas Legal Aid
- "Buckley passes on a run for Nevada governor - News - ReviewJournal.com". Lvrj.com. 2009-09-12. Retrieved 2010-08-21.
- Ann, Jane (2013-06-22). "Veteran Buckley likely out of politics | Las Vegas Review-Journal". Reviewjournal.com. Retrieved 2013-09-18.
- "Buckley repeats for Reno audience: She's out of politics, giving away campaign funds | Inside Nevada Politics". Blogs.rgj.com. 2013-07-17. Retrieved 2013-09-18.
- "Barbara Buckley Biography". Women’s Research Institute of Nevadat. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- "Barbara E. Buckley's Biography". Project Vote Smart. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- Nevada General Assembly - Barbara Buckley official government website
- Project Vote Smart - Representative Barbara E. Buckley (NV)[permanent dead link] profile
- Follow the Money - Barbara Buckley
- Clark County Legal Services (CCLS) official website